Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TechGirl31
Stats: I just want to be healthy and happy
WOE: still figuring this out...
Start Date: May 1, 2013
Completely unhealthy :( don't know what to do

Hi, I've been a member here for a while, but am now just coming back from a hiatus. I've had a lot go on , and I need help. Here is what's going on mentally and healthwise
1. Diagnosed with PCOS, although I don't have a lot of the symptoms
2. Overweight in the belly area.....with most of it being in the lower apron belly level.....I went from 200 to 250 lbs
3. Anxiety from hell
4. Sadness, and low self esteem because of my weight
5.. high Cholesterol
6. GERD, IBS
7. Lack of any type of energy whatsoever
8. lower back and knee pain, making it almost impossible to exercise

I take:
Lovastatin for cholesterol
Omeprazole for GERD
clonazepam (Klonopin) for anxiety
Sertraline ( was taking for depression but gonna go on something new)
I tried Birth Control pills to help regulate my menstrual cycle and hormones but it made me violently ill
I take ibuprofen for the knee/back pain.

Right now I'm so stressed and so tired of being this way. I have completely messed up hormones, and all of the above and I just turned 40 in May.

I don't know if there's anything anyone can do to help, or support, but I'm asking , begging for something.......please Im at a loss and don't know what to do

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003

I am no expert at this, but it looks like to me that you are definately having hormonal problems. I am reading a book from the library called Weight Loss Apocalypse. It is amazing! Maybe you would benefit from it also.

Blessings!
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Have you had a hormone level drawn? Estrogen , progesterone, DHEA, testosterone?
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
Do you take any supplements? A couple years ago I felt like I was falling apart - exhausted, stressed (I was experiencing a lot of stress but wasn't handling it well) achy, just plain bad feeling - and in addition to all the hormonal tests and other blood tests my dr. gave me vitamin D and B tests and I was pretty seriously deficient. I got a B shot in her office and started taking D and felt so much better within about 2 weeks.
I'm not suggesting this will cure you - it sounds like you have some serious medical problems - but it may be a small piece of the puzzle.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS

I would ask for a referral to a endocrinologist if possible, for those tests Cindy listed and any others the endo deems needed. They are so much better for hormonal issues than a regular GYN and so many hormones involved with PCOS.
One thing, sometimes the Sertraline can sometimes do a backfire and increase anxiety. But please do not stop it without making a plan with your doc. It is one of those that needs to be weaned rather than just stopped. I hope you get relief soon.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Are you eating low carb? Atkins has really worked for me, and there are so many health benefits to low carb.

Wishing you the best.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Since you're taking a statin, Please take some C0Q10 or ubiquinol. Statins deplete it. How's your thyroid? If it's off or you're hypothyroid, it can affect cholesterol numbers in a negative way. You need tested for sure - Free T4, Free T3 along with TSH that most doctors run.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hot Potato
Stats: 117.4kg/107.1/99kg (first goal)
WOE: LCHF/primal/NK
Start Date: May 2013
Sertraline causes weight gain.

I second the suggestion to see an endocrinologist.

Good luck!
Hot Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Proper nutrition and exercise can't hurt, and may very well improve some of your symptoms.
Your post was very moving.
I wish you all health and happiness.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
I am sorry for your health problems...
Hang in there and fight...I am sure you will overcome and flourish as a result
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
I also have PCOS and everything you describe is related to PCOS. I recommend seeing a doctor who specializes in PCOS. I got super lucky and just started seeing a new doctor who does specialize in PCOS and I have been put on an extreme low carb woe. I eat 30g max of TOTAL carbs with a min. of 60g of Protein and no restrictions on fat and calories. I have lost 13 pounds and in general feel lots better. PCOS is an umbrella term that has a lot of symptoms and problems. Basically, you are carb intolerant. Your body is different than a regular one in that carbs are turned to fat rather than energy. Good Luck!
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
I'm sorry you're experiencing all of that! It feels terrible to have so much going on. But don't lose hope. As Mom2AandE said, low carb diets are often used to treat PCOS. It alone can improve many of the symptoms. But as she said, be sure you are seeing a good endocrinologist. Other doctors may just take shots in the dark until they find what will help you--and meanwhile, you're miserable. Why go through that?! In my experience, the Gastro doc told me that I'd be on omeprazole for the rest of my life. Pain from IBS, gastritis, and erosive esophagus was gut-wrenching at times. But low carb has improved that so much that I no longer take any sort of stomach medicine--not even Tums. Unbalanced hormones can create a nightmare of anxiety and depression. If that is the cause, it could eventually be resolved without need for medication. That said, be patient and do what you know is helpful. And seek a good endocrinologist if you don't already have one. Symptoms of PCOS are like a tangled web and it will take time to unweave them. Hang in there--and let us know how you're doing!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with all these issues. I remember you from way back!

Have you checked out the GAPS diet? A lot of your symptoms could be helped (possibly, I'm no doctor) by maybe starting this diet. Google it, there's lots of information out there!

Good luck and my thoughts are with you. I hope you feel much better soon.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaws
First, boy do I feel for what you are going through. Becoming a happy person isn't going to be easy for you, but it is attainable.

Don't bother listening to all of the "bro science" recommendations you will get that are based on nothing but hopeful speculation. Most of your symptoms are caused by being overweight and out of shape. If you fix that, you will be pretty much fixed. I want to mention that be absolutely sure you do not have lyme disease or any of the associated tick diseases because they can really throw you for a loop and are very dangerous problems if left to run uninterrupted.
jaws is offline   Reply With Quote