Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
arthritis in one knee

Has anyone here successfully treated their mild arthritis?

If so, via what method(s)?

thank you
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'm actually treating very severe arthritis (my entire body) and trying to avoid double knee replacement. My surgeon has advised that as long as I'm willing to live with my limitations and have the pain under control, I should put off the surgery as long as possible.

I can't walk distances or use stairs, but since I also have a bad ankle, foot, and spine, I would not gain much mobility with knee replacement, so it's only a question of how well I can control the pain.

For over 20 years, I took anti-inflammatory meds, until I realized that they do nothing but take the 'edge' off the pain, and they are not good for the body overall.

Now I control with diet and exercise. I eat an anti-inflammatory diet--no grains, no sugar, no egg yolks, and my red meat is limited to grass-fed only. I eat a diet high in omega 3s (fish daily)--mainly fish, meat, egg whites, and green vegetables, mainly spinach, broccoli, cabbage.

I used to swim regularly but a shoulder injury prevents that now. Instead I do strength training. With the knees, it's essential to strengthen the leg muscles because they must do extra work if you can't stress the joint.

I began by having my physician write a prescription for physical therapy. They taught me how to exercise to strengthen the muscles, and now I do it regularly.

I sometimes have pain at night that disturbs my sleep, but I can take an Rx pain med for more restful sleep as needed.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I have mild arthritis and started taking 4500 mg of Glucosamine around a year ago, I now walk with ease, have no problems going down stairs, (I had to go down sideways one by one on occasion) and feel no pain at night any longer. I saw the improvement after around 3 months of Glucosamine.

It doesn't work for everyone but it has changed my life.

I also do JUDDD which is known to fight inflammation. And I started taking Diatomaceous Earth too.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alassea
WOE: kiss atkins
i'd like to suggest MSM (netrition carries the "NOW" brand)

also keep a food log in conjunction with the pain/discomfort level of your knee.

by doing this I discovered that I was sensitive to corn.

the most common food sensitivities are to: cow's milk, wheat, cane sugar, eggs, corn (and corn syrup sweetners), soy products and peanuts.

if you are sensitive to a food then you should notice an increase in pain/discomfort within 8 hours or more. after the food has gotten out of your system ( usually with-in 24 hours unless you are continuously eating it). the pain/discomfort should subside.
alassea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
I just got "The New Arthritis Cure" by Dr. Bruce Fife. I'm upping my coconut oil plus I went out today and bought a mini-trampoline as he advises how this is the best exercise to do.

I googled "rebounding" as it's called today and there are gobs of info on this.

Wow, kissa! That's a lot of Glucosamine! Dr. Fife also advises taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

I just picked up some Osteo Bi-Flex yesterday as I ran out of Move Free brand. The Move Free has more MSM than the Osteo Bi-Flex so I'll have to see if it's better or not. Move Free was very good.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leeney
Stats: 142/136/129
WOE: low carb
Sharss, if you don't mind my asking, could you list the supplements you take, and the amounts? I have arthritis issues and I'm so confused as to what I should/should not take. My doctor is pretty useless with all of this.
leeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #7

I am afraid Sharss may not see this as the thread has been inactive so long. And I see she hasn't been posting on LCF for some time.

You might find The Arthritis Cure supplements listed on the net?

Last edited by Kissa; 01-13-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thankyou Kissa! Seems like the information and advice keeps changing as the years go by. Sometimes I don't know if I'm hurting myself or helping myself. So frustrating.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #9

I use the Glucosamine still 4,500, Vitamin D, Krill Oil.

I am also taking Resveratrol and Pterostilbene, mostly for the anti ageing but they are both anti inflammatories too.

i have almost forgotten what the arthritis pain was like. The only time I have issues is at the gym when I have to do a Quad stretch with my left leg. I have to very gently then.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Can you tell me what your doses are for each of these supplements?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #11

Um, I am travelling today and away from the various bottles.

I will try to remember to check when I am home. Please bump the thread if I forget...I take Q 10 for my memory, but it isn't as efficient as the Glucosamine is for my knees.