Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sydney66
Stats: 156
WOE: Low carb
I am beyond depressed

A year ago I weighed about 142 pounds. After a year of dieting and watching what I eat so I can get back down to 132, which is what I weighed the year before that, I now weigh 156 pounds. I am 51 years old. My weight is totally beyond my control and I am so depressed about it I don't even want to leave my house. I have gone to the doctor (actually two different ones) for my thyroid. I have Hashimoto's, but they say it doesn't need to be treated because my thyroid levels, while low-normal, are within range.

I have weird pituitary readings, including elevated prolactin, low estrogen and low FSH and LH, but no one can figure out why, and so they are not treating that either. I have been having a period for the past six months, with only a week here and there without a problem. But my gynecologist thinks the bleeding is caused by the high prolactin and weird pituitary hormones, so they're just giving me progesterone, which slows it down, but doesn't stop it. The Birth control pill made it worse. The last month I have also been getting horrendous periodontal infections out of the blue. My dentist said I had no sign of periodontal disease until now - he thought I injured myself somehow, until the same problem appeared on the other side of my mouth. Of course this also makes me NOT want to eat. Even when I eat, I eat less than 700 calories a day.

I finally got so frustrated with not losing weight that over the weekend I fasted, starting Friday, and worked out on Saturday and Sunday for an hour each time. I am still fasting, but I weighed myself this morning. I weighed 153 on Friday morning. I weigh 156 today. Apparently not eating anything also causes me to gain a lot of weight. I literally threw my scale in the garbage this morning but truthfully I don't think it's the scale. Last week when I saw the second endocrinologist, the nurse practitioner (the closest thing they give you to a doctor around here) said "I'm sure it's just a case of hormones and it will eventually straighten itself out." I said "when?" Of course, she said she couldn't answer that - she acts like it's up to my body to straighten itself out, which by now I know is NOT going to happen. It's getting worse. I have no idea what to do.

And I know some are going to say that the 3 pounds I gained over the weekend are "water" weight. They'd have to be since that's all I had to eat or drink, but the thing is that I can almost guarantee that it doesn't matter. That weight is here to stay. I have NEVER seen the scale go down during the last year - NOT EVER. It goes up, it goes up, it goes up. Somehow that 3 pounds of water weight is now permanent. Life sucks.
sydney66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bdladie
Stats: 311/187/150 for now
WOE: South Beach kind of
Start Date: 1/16/06
I don't know what to say about why it is going on to you but wanted to say I'm sorry this is happening. I wish I could just give you a big hug.
bdladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loveisstatic
Stats: 216/197/150
WOE: Curves Carb Sensitive Plan (Version 1)
Start Date: May 2013
From my own personal experience in weight loss, fasting doesn't do much other than lower your metabolism. You're body goes into starvation mode and latches onto anything it can get its hands on. -- Maybe try eating 4-6 very small meals a day, no carbs after lunch and go to bed hungry --Your body takes 5 hours to begin burning its own sugars and fat. If you have dinner at 7, your body will begin burning fat by midnight. I've done this the past 2 weeks and have lost 11 pounds. I've also been working out 6 times a week.

Don't starve yourself! You'll get through this.
loveisstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
So sorry to hear of your distress.
Have you considered some kind of local support meeting?
Pain shared is often pain lessened.
I wish you all the best.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
Do some research on a good endocrinologist in your state. A PA-C is not an endocrinologist. You need to see someone who is taking you seriously. If need be, ask your PA-C for a referral. It may take a few different MDs before you find the right fit. Good luck and I wish you the best.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazza
Stats: 189/152/145
WOE: Paleo,RXHCG
How frustrating I hope you get a solid treatment soon that helps you.

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Almost 2 years ago I was lethargic to the point of falling asleep at my desk, low energy, had major hair loss, my period was coming every other week. (Normally I am a 28 day cycle I could set a watch to it kind of gal) I went to two Dr's, one was convinced it was a thyroid issue another told me at 38 yrs old that I was pre menopausal. After countless hours on the Internet I requested that while doing the thyroid labs they check my vitamin D levels. I was one of the lowest levels he has ever seen. How or why that happened I have no idea.

6 days after taking 5000mg a day of a really high quality Vitamin D supplement I was back to my old self. The symptoms immediately went away.
Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I'd bet money your thyroid needs to be treated. I'd also bet your doctor didn't even do the right tests.

Go to the thyroid board and read some of the stickies.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rndiane View Post
Do some research on a good endocrinologist in your state. A PA-C is not an endocrinologist. You need to see someone who is taking you seriously. If need be, ask your PA-C for a referral. It may take a few different MDs before you find the right fit. Good luck and I wish you the best.
I totally agree. You need a good endocrinologist at this point. It sounds like you have a lot of issues health-wise that need to be addressed and weight may (or may not) be a symptom of another issue. Good luck.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I agree with GME. You need Free T3 and Free T4, at least, and your readings shouldn't be at the very bottom of the range. I am not an expert, but I have to say, getting enough T3 med stopped me from gaining even if I am not losing. best of luck. it is crazymaking! look at the bright side though... you are not at 300 and gaining, which is what happens to a lot of people.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spod
Stats: 240/189/160
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: February 13 2013
I just wanted to add, I've been through 4 endocrinologists to find the right one. Check out thyroid.org. There's a great list there and I'd you happen to be in nj/by area, I can give you the name of my practice, regarded as the best in the state. Good luck and keep your head up!
Spod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have Hashi's, and I take Rx--both T4 and T3. It's characteristic of Hashi's to have conversion problems and need to take separate T3, but many doctors, even endos, don't 'believe' in this. I've been fortunate to have good endos.

However, when my T3 first 'tanked,' I gained 10 lbs in two weeks--while eating at a level that I'd been losing a pound a week! That's how powerful these thyroid hormones are--and how much havoc can result when they are low.

I was frantic and never suspected my thyroid because I'd been stable for over 5 years on Levoxyl. Fortunately, I was due for my 4-month check up, and my T3 was below lab range--didn't even register. That's when I began taking T3 separately (Cytomel). I've had to increase the dosage 3 times, and each time my T3 gets very low, I need to restrict myself to no more than 500 cal. or I will gain.

By the way, those gains aren't 'water,' and they are lost the same slow way as all other weight.

My first endo told me that it is very common for someone to have hypothyroid symptoms when the labs seem 'normal.' That's why it took me over 5 years to get diagnosed--I listened to my PCP who told me that my thyroid was 'fine.' It was only when my symptoms were so severe that I couldn't function that I self-referred to an endo, who treated me immediately.

Good thyoid (or general hormone) doctors are hard to find, so just keep looking.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbi
Stats: 297/157/137
WOE: low carb
I have had a similar problem minus the periods. I have been gaining weight steadily over the past 5 yrs. Endo says except for the nodules my thyroid is fine. He did the antibodies, T3 & T4 everything was normal. That was 2 yrs ago and now I am 20 lbs heavier. Just had an u/s of the thyroid ordered by my PCP and I have new nodules but not that appear to be cancerous and no need for a biopsy. I asked my PCP why I have nodules, what causes them and she said I have Hashimoto's. She said it is treated with levothyroxine. She ordered another TSH, will not order anything else. I am having it done 7/2 so I am hoping it shows something, then we will meet to discuss any treatment. If not I am going to order the other test myself and pay for them and go looking for another endo. I feel your pain - I am sick to death of all this!

Last edited by Debbi; 06-18-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Debbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Antigone
WOE: Low-carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney66 View Post
I have weird pituitary readings, including elevated prolactin, low estrogen and low FSH and LH, but no one can figure out why, and so they are not treating that either.
The low estrogen, FSH and LH could well be because you're peri-menopausal, or in menopause.

Sounds like it would be good for you to see an endocrinologist, at least to get thyroid in better order, which may well be the big obstacle in losing weight.

Hang in there. Tell your doc you want answers, and if he/she can't give you any, ask to be referred to someone who can.
Antigone is offline   Reply With Quote