Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: astribling
Stats: 212/165/169(165 for wiggle room)
WOE: Moderate carbs/no sugar,no wheat
Start Date: June 26, 2012
Weird blood sugar question

My fasting blood sugar has always been just over 100. Well after a year of low carb and losing weight, for the last few weeks it's finally down about 10 points. Yay!

Now for the weird question. Ever since I've started noticing that it's lower, foods have been tasting sweeter. Where I used to put 2 drops of ez sweet in my coffee that is now way to sweet an I only use 1. Other foods as well. Is there some kind of correlation with your blood sugar and how sweet foods taste? Or is this just a weird coincidence?

Starting weight on June 26, 2012 - 212
First goal reached Jan 17, 2013 - 175
Second goal June 11, 2013 - 169
Final goal August 28, 2013-- (165? just to give me some breathing room)
---------------
astribling is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Just a wild guess, but I'd think it is kind of the same thing that sometimes happens with alcohol. If you are used to drinking you develop a tolerance for it, but if you don't have it for awhile, it takes a lot less to affect you. Maybe when you haven't had sugar for quite awhile it takes less sweetness to satisfy you. Sweets were never my downfall, so I'm lucky, on this WOE I still get to eat so many of my favorite foods anyway.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Carrots, lettuce, string beans...I can now taste the sugar in all veggies after eliminating sweets.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes, my sugar tasters have become acutely 'aware'. I find romaine lettuce sweet! Maybe it is, but I had not noticed it until after several month on low carb. I might add that I do use artificial sweeteners so I do know how sweet tastes still.....I don't know what the deal is?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think it is related to your woe, but NOT to your blood sugars.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Haha...I was just thinking how my green beans and asparagus taste sweet...now I still use artificial sweeteners but natural sugars really taste sweet to me now.
I don't test blood sugar because there is no need at this time, so I can not give an opinion on that perspective.

Last edited by lterry913; 06-12-2013 at 11:15 AM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I agree with Ravenrose, it's not likely related to your blood sugar (awesome improvement, BTW!) but to your change in the way of eating.

Only when you stop eating all the SAD processed stuff do you realize how it has blunted your tastebuds to the natural flavors of the food. The food manufacturers do this on purpose. If your tastebuds are overwhelmed by their additives (sugar--often in the form of high fructose corn syrup, excessive sodium, and bad fats), you aren't as satisfied and you tend to eat (and therefore BUY) more and more of their product to try to get that satisfaction. Corporate manipulation on a grand scale.

Real food tastes SO much better to me now that I no longer buy food prodUCTS, only real food and real prodUCE.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I agree with Ravenrose, it's not likely related to your blood sugar (awesome improvement, BTW!) but to your change in the way of eating.

Only when you stop eating all the SAD processed stuff do you realize how it has blunted your tastebuds to the natural flavors of the food. The food manufacturers do this on purpose. If your tastebuds are overwhelmed by their additives (sugar--often in the form of high fructose corn syrup, excessive sodium, and bad fats), you aren't as satisfied and you tend to eat (and therefore BUY) more and more of their product to try to get that satisfaction. Corporate manipulation on a grand scale.

Real food tastes SO much better to me now that I no longer buy food prodUCTS, only real food and real prodUCE.
Yes, and you are no longer satisfied by the taste of natural, whole foods because they seem to lack the flavor of the exaggerated processed varieties.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Saltysailor1
Stats: 183/171/120
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: June 25, 2013
Oopsies

I was searching for low carb recipes yesterday and found one for something called oopsies.....has anyone tried these? Are they any good? I don,t want to waste time, effort and money if they aren't good. But I would love to fine something low carb besides meat, veges and cheese lol
Saltysailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Carrots, lettuce, string beans...I can now taste the sugar in all veggies after eliminating sweets.
The same thing happens to me too when I eliminate sweets (or switch to no-sugar or low-sugar sweets).
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkcadillac
Stats: 150/134/125
Start Date: March /04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltysailor1 View Post
I was searching for low carb recipes yesterday and found one for something called oopsies.....has anyone tried these? Are they any good? I don,t want to waste time, effort and money if they aren't good. But I would love to fine something low carb besides meat, veges and cheese lol
yes, they make great vehicles for sandwiches, burgers, etc.
pinkcadillac is offline   Reply With Quote