Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Insomnia

I have a friend who falls asleep in the morning and sleeps all day for no reason other than she says she cannot sleep at night. She does not want to see doctors or take medicine, although she is trying the herb, Valerian now. She has many bad memories in her head that she plays over and over, how to recover?

Any ideas how to change the sleep cycle? For those who have suffered and recovered, how did you do it?
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I went to a Doctor. :{ I know not much help. It actually took a combination of anti-depressants and therapy for my insomnia to get better.

She could try staying awake one day or pushing her sleep cycle around the clock, staying awake later and later, until she is going to sleep in the evening? I suggest this, because I had to do it once. It worked for a while.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
IANAD, just crazy with sleep issues. Sounds like depression, PTSD or OCD or even ADHD rearing one of their ugly heads to me. Especially if this is recent, not lifelong. These conditions can also push someone with night owl tendencies into Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. And that is all kinds of fun, I can tell you. But realistically, even if it is just depression, this person needs to talk to a psychiatrist. Herbs aren't going to help. Exercise would be more helpful in any case. And you could help with that.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

To change my sleep cycle, I have to go drastic and stay awake. Sometimes I'll do a 16 hour fast ending at the time I want to wake up (like for jet lag). Drugs won't put me to sleep when my body thinks I should be awake, so I have to be exhausted enough to fall asleep. I use orange lightbulbs (blue light stops melatonin production) and no backlit screens a few hours before I want to sleep. Once I am on a decent schedule, I have to maintain it fairly rigidly or I lapse. And even when I can maintain a reasonable sleep schedule (consistantly getting up at around 9 am, a personal best), my body rhythm still thinks I should be asleep until 1 pm so I'm kind of useless until then.

But I am an extreme case and have had these problems all of my life. Activity and exercise to reset the body clock and keep it on track work well for many people. It is easy to not be tired ever if you don't do anything.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Thank you so much for the info.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
Your friend could also inform herself about taking magnesium. There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence that it helps with more restful sleep, mood lifts so itt might be an ideal step for your friend before starting with the heavy artillery of antidepressants etc. If she takes medicine and is worried about the flushing effect of magnesium she should aim for the most expensive forms of magnesium chelated which reduces that effect almost to nil. A hot bath in Epsom salts does just as well.
It might not be the be all and end all solution for your friend but it could be a great start for her to be able to function better and break the vicious cycle of insomnia-depression-insomnia.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I take 600 mg of Mag glycinate every day. It doesn't help my sleep directly, but it helps my muscles relax.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
I've had a major insomnia problem for years, but in reading some other posts on this issue, this has solved the problem for me.

Now I had started taking CLA and GLA about the same time so don't know if this helped or not except it did give me more energy during the day resulting in more activity.

But after dinner meal I take: CLA, GLA, Calcium, Magnesium (250mg as my bod won't tolerate higher doses), and Melatonin.

The person who suggested the Magnesium and Melatonin taken after dinner also took Valerian a bit before she wanted to go to sleep. I think she took 500 or 600mg of Magnesium.

For me, I drink about half a small glass of Port wine before I want to go to sleep. One can't drink too much wine as it can act to keep one awake too if too much.

This regiment has been a miracle for me as previously I would be up all night at least three times a week.

I'd like to add also one needs to slowly experiment with the Magnesium as some could take up to 1000mg without getting diarrhea. I might have upped my dosage too fast hence the consequences.

For your friend who has bad memories, have her watch Brad Yates YouTube videos: "Tap O the Mornin' with Brad Yates - EFT" and "Tap O' The Evenin' with Brad Yates - EFT"

She can google them - hopefully she has a computer though.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I have always been somewhat nocturnal. The easiest way to break it is for me to wake up at a normal hour, no matter when I went to sleep the previous night. I have a couple of really tired days, but then I get into a routine where I'm tired at a somewhat normal hour. For me to have any kind of normal sleep routine, I just have to force myself not to sleep in. Once I sleep in, I'm just not tired at bed time.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LBwilliam
enough is enough

Has anybody heard about the Buteyko breathing method? ive come to whits end, supplements have help in the past but now im looking for an answer as the only sleep i get is when i crash i know its not good for my body and i just might try this! any comments, critique or suggestions would be appreciated as i dont want to blindly jump into it - many thanks LB
LBwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I'm a chronic insomniac though I do a lot to manage my sleep cycles (after years of experimentation). Of course, my causes of it are not the same as hers so I'm not sure how much what I do will assist.

The biggest help for me is a daily dose of 30 minutes of light therapy upon waking up. For it to be effective, you need a light that's at least 10,000 Lux. You can easily search the web for these types of lights. And there are several types of light therapy devices out there, so you may want to do some research and see what could be best for her.

There are also special lights to help soothe you into sleep though I don't know as much about them and currently cannot afford one.

I also use a dawn simulating alarm clock (though I'm not as rigid with this as I am the light therapy). I use this particularly during those times of the year when it doesn't get light out until much later. But the one I use also has a dusk simulator that helped soothe me into sleep. There are many different types of these clocks out there with a wide-range of features and price ranges vary based on all that fancy stuff.

Other than ketosis, light therapy has been the most effective way for me to manage my insomnia in the past 5 years. It also helps with my chronic low-grade depression (dysthymia), though not nearly as much as ketosis does.

I still have nights where I have trouble falling asleep---particularly if I miss the short window of time where my body naturally tells me it's ok to go to sleep--and on those evenings, I take a liquid melatonin supplement as I find it's more effective than pill form, which helps me. Sometimes I have to combine it with a doxylamine succinate tablet. However, this counts as medication, which you say your friend tries to avoid.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
100 mg of Trazadone and 12.5mg of Ambian CR every night. Nothing else works.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
I am another who is a double whammy of being largely nocturnal as well as getting caught up in 'thought loops' when I do try to sleep. I take meds for it. If she is not wanting to see the doctor then I don't know what to say. Even OTC meds and supps have side effects and shouldn't be used long term. If she is OK with being nocturnal then she could just roll with it. I worked night shifts for a while and that was probably the most efficient I was at any job because it met my personal sleep/wake cycle.

As far as this: "She has many bad memories in her head that she plays over and over, how to recover?"

there is a cool type of treatment for that called EMDR

Quote:
During REM (rapid eye movements in the last stages of the sleep cycle where the brain consolidates memory) trauma may prevent memory from being processed in a direction that allows the intellect to manage instinctual responses. This is what occurs when all of us get “stuck” in something and find ourselves “looping” despite our best efforts to move on.

EMDR solves this problem.
Now I don't swear to that last statement and would probably temper it with "can be helpul in treating" But that was the quote from the trauma therapist my husband saw and I have to say it was very effective with helping him deal with some childhood issues and PTSD from a very chaotic upbringing. (Not even abusive, just chaotic)

I hope she is able to find healing, whatever way she goes.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote