Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy1018
WOE: Paleolithic-no dairy, moderate amounts of fruit
WHY ME?

This will probably sound stupid to people dealing with real problems, but I'm very upset because my cystic acne seems to have returned. It's been troublesome for several months but over the last month or so it's been very persistent/bad. One pimple goes away and another forms. It's like it was in high school. I took Accutane as a senior and that seemed to clear it up. I feel frustrated because my skin was clear throughout the entire 8 years that I ate crap and never exercised and now It's back again. I've just been starting to feel really good about my appearance, too. It upsets me because I already have various insecurity issues and this makes it 10xs worse. It's like, "Really, God? I have to be on a diet and have a learning disorder and have depression and now I have to have acne, too? Give me a break!"

I'm proud that after starting off at over 250 pounds, I now weigh 164, but I feel like I'm slipping back into my teenage body-PIMPLES AND ALL! Yuck. Yuck, yuck yuck.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Lucy1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Omgosh! You've done so amazing with the weightloss! I'm really sorry to hear about your skin problems, though. I would be upset, too. Have you tried using apple cider vinegar, orally or topically? I know a lot of people have had a lot of success with it and my skin has been so much clearer since I started drinking it twice a day. I didn't have terrible skin problems, though, just some little pimples here and there that annoyed me. I hope someone more in the know chimes in...
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Unfortunately, it is a common problem.

Acne is a hormonal problem. If you want to treat the problem at the source you really should have your hormone levels checked & address imbalances.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Have you recently added anything to your diet? It could also be hormonal and so you might want to see a doc and get some tests done.

I too used to have trouble with this, but have not for years now.

Recently I started oil cleansing my face in the evening before bed and then just rinsing my face with water in the morning. At first I had a few 'white heads' but having taken esthetician training when I was younger, I remembered that sometimes when you change to a new cleansing method that is working better, your skin goes through a 'clean out' period. These were not acne cysts, just the little white bumps. It cleared up in about 2 weeks. And my skin is looking way better now.

Google oil cleansing method for an idea of how to do it. I use 1/3 mineral oil 2/3 olive oil and a drop of tea tree oil, but the great thing about ocm is that you can tailor the types of oils to fit your skin.

Good luck and I'm sorry that this is going on!

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you taking any new supplements? I get cystic acne from L-glutamine and some others that people take here without any problems.

I am sure you have been to acne.org but there are many, many approaches (based on experience!) to controlling or curing acne there.

I hope you are able to make it get better!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I used to have it pretty bad too, then I started taking evening primrose oil. It forms so deep in your skin I don't think topical treatments help much.

I also developed it while eating right and exercising after not having it before too. Maybe it is the flood of hormones being released when the stored fat is used.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

I also developed it while eating right and exercising after not having it before too. Maybe it is the flood of hormones being released when the stored fat is used.
Gina,
Great theory!

Although I haven't had this problem (yet, yikes!) I'd like to throw one more thing in to the ring. I'd been reading up on natural methods & one source recommended Listerine applied topically.
Like one PP said, it may be forming too deep for a topical to help much but its an idea.
I'm sorry!!!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote