Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miggsmacall
Stats: 317/302/169
WOE: HCG
Start Date: August 2005 (LC)-March 2014 WW
Questions on Fiber and Diverticulitis

Hi Friends!

I have an ailing grandmother who has been following a "healthy diet" coupled with generous spoonfuls of metamucil. She doesn't drink enough water, she has pressure sores from losing too much weight as she's aged (and poor nutrition through frozen meals- can't cook for herself) and she's on medications.

Sorry if it's TMI but she's constantly got blockages- I tell her from the fiber and too low fat but she says, "Doctor's orders". Today she's been diagnosed with Diverticulitis- which I understood was from FIBER.

I'm trying to gather the info to put in front of her and my uncle's face to show them what I mean. I know there is info out there about the necessity of fiber being bunk and the need for more healthy fats.

Please someone help with some information. She's miserable in her last year/years and I want to really give her some relief. I think 50% of her problems and suffering is due to diet and "doctor's orders."
miggsmacall is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Someone else posted this link awhile back and I found it very interesting. The author is a little rough, but the info seems sound. Food for thought, anyway.
Dietary Fiber Theory. Scientific Proof Fiber in the Diet is Unhealthy.

Also, Dr. Eades did a good blog post about fiber. You can google his blog and search for the article.

I hope this helps. I watched my mother-in-law suffer from a lot of "healthy" advice and unnecessary meds with terrible side effects, so I know how frustrating it is.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
Diverticulitis is not caused by fiber. Please do some research on medical sites, or better yet, speak to a physician. Inadequate hydration could be a factor in her blockages.

Getting medical advice for an elderly person on a dieting website is really not a great idea.
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miggsmacall
Stats: 317/302/169
WOE: HCG
Start Date: August 2005 (LC)-March 2014 WW
theredhead- thanks for the reminder of the Dr. Eades research. I believe that's what I had in mind.
miggsmacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
My Dad suffered from diverticulitis for many, many years and his docs insisted he take bulk fiber like Metamucil for the rest of his life to keep his bowels moving and the condition in check to prevent those polyps from becoming colon cancer. He took his 2 T. daily, religiously. Problem remained in check for some 10 years until his death from a totally unrelated issue.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
The simple scientific fact that humans do not require carbs at all automatically makes any statement about us needing fiber false.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Not enough water is likely a huge cause to her problems, fiber issues aside. The majority of water is absorbed from the colon. If you ever had the opportunity to see ingested food as it travels through the GI tract, its pretty liquidy until it hits the large intestines. This is where the water comes out and the waste solidifies into the "poop" we (or any other critter) excretes. If she isn't drinking enough water & is dehydrated then her body is going to try to draw as much water as it can from her colon. This is going to result in drier, harder poop which will be harder to pass, resulting in constipation. It is also known that dehydration slows intestinal transport/passage time which also contributes to constipation in that, the longer the poop sits in the colon, the more water is sucked out of it.
Although fiber may not be a necessary nutrient for humans, it can be useful in regulating intestinal transport. The insoluble nature of most of those products draws water into the colon by osmosis which then increases the fluid content of the feces...in addition to being lubricating. Water is nature's lubricant.
(Cats don't "need" carbs either, being obligate carnivores, yet we use fiber to help regulate cats with megacolon that get constipated. So just because we don't *need* it doesn't mean it can't be a useful tool.)
Bottom line: Drink more water!!!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote