Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Kidney stones and gout from low carbing?

I wondered if anyone has ended up with gout or kidney stones from low carbing? I've ended up with both in the last few months and right now I'm having pain on my lower right side radiating to the front which feels like my kidneys are having problems again.

Has anyone had this problem?
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Hi Grammy....I've always wondered if a low carb diet puts one at higher risk! I think it would be wise to have your MD to refer you to a dietitian, who could make some recommended changes so you can still eat high protein. Most dietitians are still stuck on the regular high carb diet....maybe you can call a bariatric surgeon's office to inquire about if they can recommend an R.D. Who specializes in low carb lifestyle. Of course, one has to drink plenty of water to flush out the by-products of protein breakdown.
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
Keep track of just 'how much' protein you are eating. Atkins, and most other lowcarb diets are NOT 'high protein' they are high fat diets. My protein is around 65 to 75 grams a day but my fat is much higher. Watch for eating purine foods, they increase gout, and get plenty of water.
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
I have been low carbing for about 8 years. The last time I had bloodwork done my kidney function was rated no. 1 ( comparable to a newborn) - no. 5 rate indicates need for dialysis.
I'm a lot older than most of you, so I think it's a matter of genes.
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I found out what caused the kidney stones. I had a 'gout like arthritis' reaction to the tree nuts. I was eating a lot of almond flour along with other nuts. I've had problems with dairy causing joint pain for years but didn't know I had a problem with nuts. The 'crystals' that lodged in my joints most likely caused the small stones, too. Problem solved.. hopefully! :-) Boy do I miss the nuts and dairy though. Hard to do LC'ing without dairy.
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: trvlpk
Stats: couldnt tell ya
WOE: Support of friends
I was wondering if I could throw in a couple questions and see what kind of input I can get from you that are maybe a bit more experienced then I. I am a compulsive overeater/ carb-sugar addict that has finally come to terms with needing to cut these foods from my food plan. I have tried atkins/south beach/WW as weight loss plans before and have a little bit of success but my compulsive qualities get in the way. I have a strong family history of kidney stones and in Feb I had a CT scan for another issue and they found a tiny kidney stone but told me right now its not a concern. I am a bit afraid the low carb way of eating but if I am to get away from my carb/sugar addiction and using of food in general I believe that it is going to have to be the way to go. I have tried our local nutritionist/RD in the past but they are very stuck in the "traditional" food plans. Right now our insurance sucks so trying to find someone to fit my insurance plan AND be helpful is a difficult thing to do. I have also done the wrong thing of trying to do internet researching on my own. :-S Does anyone have any input on this? I welcome any experiences/feed back you have as I am struggling right now with making a food plan decision. Thanks in advance.
trvlpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 238/238/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13, Restart 9/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlpk View Post
I was wondering if I could throw in a couple questions and see what kind of input I can get from you that are maybe a bit more experienced then I. I am a compulsive overeater/ carb-sugar addict that has finally come to terms with needing to cut these foods from my food plan. I have tried atkins/south beach/WW as weight loss plans before and have a little bit of success but my compulsive qualities get in the way. I have a strong family history of kidney stones and in Feb I had a CT scan for another issue and they found a tiny kidney stone but told me right now its not a concern. I am a bit afraid the low carb way of eating but if I am to get away from my carb/sugar addiction and using of food in general I believe that it is going to have to be the way to go. I have tried our local nutritionist/RD in the past but they are very stuck in the "traditional" food plans. Right now our insurance sucks so trying to find someone to fit my insurance plan AND be helpful is a difficult thing to do. I have also done the wrong thing of trying to do internet researching on my own. :-S Does anyone have any input on this? I welcome any experiences/feed back you have as I am struggling right now with making a food plan decision. Thanks in advance.

A low carb lifestyle shouldn't put one at a greater risk of kidney stones. Genetics play a HUGE factor. Once you find out what kind of stones you form, dietary changes will have to be made to lower the risk of forming again. From what I remember, calcium oxalate stones are the most common (and an LC diet won't encourage them to form). If you happen to form purine stones, the LC diet would become a problem. Regardless, keeping REALLY hydrated is one of the keys to avoid forming stones. The more water you drink, the harder it is for the sediment that causes stones to stick together.

Good luck!
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote