Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Help with migraine cravings

I occasionally get migraines.

When I do, I want chocolate.

Actually, I SPECIFICALLY want the dark-chocolate pomegranate candies they carry at Costco. Not a lot -- I want about 1/8 cup of them.

This very likely stems from the time I had a bad migraine, and a handful of them (we had on hand for trail mix, as we had gone on some camping trips) helped.

I really don't know what to do. I seem to be getting migraines more often. I'm wondering if I should buy a package of the to have on hand.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
I am a migraine sufferer. I try to take some medicine and just lay down/dark room. Food doesn't help me. Chocolate has more caffeine in it as it gets darker, I think...that's probably why you crave it for migraines....just a thought.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Do take caffeine for them (and obviously the dark quiet horizontal). But doesn't help the very specific chocolate craving.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
I doubt the chocolate actually helps the migraine - but does quiet the craving. When I get a migraine, I take prescription strength advil (800mg) and lay down in a dark and quiet room too. Usually gets better in 30 mins or so.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
I get cravings at the beginning stages of my migraines but what I've found is that giving in to the cravings only make the migraines worse. By the time I'm in the worst throws of the migraine, I can't eat anything.

Dark chocolate is a migraine trigger for most people...I'm surprised, but I suppose it could be the caffeine (I also have perscription meds with caffeine for my migraines)....

They are terrible, though...I feel for you.
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
A maybe try a ghirardelli extra dark square? No artificially sweeteners, and while my dh thinks they taste like dirt, I think being sugar free so LNG makes them taste sweet to me...
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Chocolate cravings and migraines often times are symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
Chocolate is a migraine trigger among other foods like wine and cheese.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deosil
Stats: 290/221/138 & 5'6"
WOE: Induction (Paleo), JUDDD & IF w/BPC!
Start Date: Jan 11 2013
I started Induction in early January of this year. I also cut off all caffeine as per the book. Within the month I started having migraines of a minimum twice a week sometimes double that. It really alarmed me since I had never really had many headaches my whole life let alone these migraines. While the migraine was happening I too CRAVED chocolate. it was all I could do to stop myself from heading to the store for some. Three weeks ago I started having every other coffee as a regular caffeinated one and adding a bit of diet Pepsi back into my diet. Since doing that I have had 0 migraines. I know very little about migraines but I guess the caffeine fixed the issue.
Maybe try some really dark chocolate along with some POM or maybe just some pomegranate seeds(if it is allowed on your WOE)? That might give you the fix you need without whatever sugars or whatnot that is in those candies.
I really hope your migraines slow down and preferably stop for you. I know they were absolutely unbearable for me.
Deosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I've heard conflicting things about chocolate and migraines -- including that the craving can be a symptom of an oncoming one, and thus is MISTAKEN for a trigger.

We keep Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa in the house. That's a "staple" (hubby takes a spoon in his coffee every day, and if I make something chocolate, it's with that.) Last time, we also had some Ghiradelli chocolate chips, and... I ate those. (There was maybe 1 TBS left in the bag.) It didn't help.

It's pretty specific... the dark chocolate AND pomegranate. And I don't want a lot.

Unfortunately, I came to full-blown migraines late in the game, and so don't have the education that folks usually build up over years. After two shots in the hip my doc made a notation in my file, "Gets migraines. Drug A injections don't help. Drug B injections are better." And that was it. My requests for information on how to manage them were ignored. (Yes, I know -- new-doc time. We were ready to, anyway... and now that practice is on the other side of the country.)

I know that the sulfites in wine can trigger (and thus so can other foods with sulfites), though that's not been a trigger for me. Cheese I seem to be OK with. My big triggers seem to be lack of sleep and weather. (I'll often hear from my bad knee around the same time as a migraine.)

Frankly, I can eat Ghirradelli (or other REALLY good chocolate) at 95%-100% cocoa, JUST fine. The flavor is so rich, it doesn't NEED anything else. (And that was true pre-LC. "I like my chocolate black like my soul") And I don't waste my time buying cheap chocolate.

Dunno. Maybe I should pick up some POM juice and see if a hit of THAT is what I need. With a couple unsweetened chocolate chips, maybe.

What I have today isn't a migraine... quite. Yes, I have a headache in my left eye, but I'm still functional and wanted to have a conversation with my husband, at lunch just now. So it's not full migraine... but it's close, and I feel like I'd be better if I could just have a handful of those...
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sleepingduty
Stats: 144/127/125
WOE: Low Carb/JUDD
Start Date: 2012
Migraine headaches

I have had a few migraines in my life, the first one after starting BCP's. I had a visual aura with it and then got a whopping headache after. Stopped the BCP and then about 10 yrs later had another one. Same thing with visual aura. As I was at work one day about 10 years ago the aura started. An anesthesiologist asked me if I had any sudafed? She happened to have some and gave it to me. Voila, no headache. I have never heard anyone tell me this remedy since. I most recently had one starting about 2 months ago, rushed to Walmart and got some generic sudafed (they have it behind the counter, you have to ask for it). Took it quickly with a sip of water, and did not get a headache. Don't know if this will help anyone else, but it has been a cheap and effective remedy for me. BTW Tylenol would do nothing for me!
Sleepingduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah... Tylenol doesn't work, ibuprofen and caffeine work SOME... Will have to try the pseudoefedrin (active ingredient in "real" Sudafed, which I DO keep in the house. They actually make a few varieties of Sudafed now that uses a different main ingredient.)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
It's getting more and more difficult to find pseudoeffedrine because it's used to cook meth.

It does work for migraines because of it's vasoconstricton properties--my doctor tells me that migraines are caused when the arteries in the brain are NOT constricted enough and too much blood flows through them. A vasoconstrictor would help that..
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Meowser
Stats: 164/150/150
WOE: Lower carb & "Eating clean"
Start Date: 1/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Chocolate cravings and migraines often times are symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
This.

Chocolate cravings (of any kind) can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency. I once read an article that connected PMS chocolate cravings and magnesium deficiency. But that was a long time ago and I haven't seen anything since.

Migraines can be caused by magnesium deficiency. Daily magnesium supplementation can dramatically improve migraines caused by this. My mom seriously reduced her migraines by taking a daily magnesium supplement. NOTE: Magnesium supplements will only work on migraines if the cause of the migraine is a lack of magnesium. I know several people for whom this doesn't work at all.

Given the proximity of your chocolate craving to your migraines, I personally would try a daily magnesium supplement for a month or so and see what it does for your migraines.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowser View Post
This.

Chocolate cravings (of any kind) can be a symptom of magnesium deficiency. I once read an article that connected PMS chocolate cravings and magnesium deficiency. But that was a long time ago and I haven't seen anything since.

Migraines can be caused by magnesium deficiency. Daily magnesium supplementation can dramatically improve migraines caused by this. My mom seriously reduced her migraines by taking a daily magnesium supplement. NOTE: Magnesium supplements will only work on migraines if the cause of the migraine is a lack of magnesium. I know several people for whom this doesn't work at all.

Given the proximity of your chocolate craving to your migraines, I personally would try a daily magnesium supplement for a month or so and see what it does for your migraines.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read your initial post - magnesium. I don't get migraines & don't know much about them. But I do know that chocolate cravings can be due to a magnesium deficiency, and I wonder if you're missing something else that the pom satisfies?

Anyway, I'm sorry you're in pain. I hope you find something that helps.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Magnesium daily has really helped me with migraines. None of the other medications (triptans) worked for me. Tylenol helps also.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
The pre migraine cravings are coming from the drop in serontonin levels in the brain. It's quite interesting-you can Google for more info. I have to watch I don't crave anything particular before a migraine but do eat more.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Do you have a prescription on hand?

I keep a nasal inhaler form of Imitrex. I don't feel normal after I take it, but it does take away the most crushing pain.

Mine are triggered by stress and once really bright sunlight & heat after coming out of a cool dark house. I have never noticed any food cravings, but I go through most of my life craving chocolate. I am going to try magnesium.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Lke GME suggested ask your doc for a prescription triptan-they really help with migraines along with a painkiller. It's trial and error to find one that will work for you just like any med-Imitrex worked for me but I was having sweating and jaw clenching episodes (women in their 40s+ are at risk of heart attack with this) and Zomig did nothing for me but what does work is Maxalt MIM (melt in mouth). I often vomit with migraines and the melt in your mouth med works so much better for me.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote