Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Important Information about the Danger of Phosphates in Low Carb Food

please google this blog post on the dangers of phosphates in the food eaten by people on low carb diets. she emphasizes the dangers to diabetics, but you can see it's an issue for everyone. be safe as we can be. *hugs*

google
diabetes update blog
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Stats: 215/156/155
WOE: Dr. Bernstein / LC
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Thanks for the link. The more knowledge we have makes it easier to make better choices.
Jrw85705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I've known about the serious dangers of phosphates in brown sodas for a long time, but that bit about the stuff they inject chicken with was new to me. That's bad. I eat a lot of that stuff!
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
That's why making most of your foods at home from scratch solves so many problems. We learn everyday about new hazards in foods like sodas, processed stuff, fast food because of all the hard to pronounce and completely unnecessary ingredients that they contain.

Plus, homemade tastes so much better.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It's a bit alarmist to link this to 'low carb' eating because the items mentioned would refer to most people eating the standard American diet.

I eat low carb--and eat almost none of the items mentioned. I eat at home with whole foods I prepare myself 99% of the time. I never eat fast food, and I don't drink sodas or bottled iced tea. I avoid almost all processed food.

I may buy a supermarket chicken perhaps once a month because I eat mostly fish, and my beef and bison is grass-fed, grass-finished.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Oh boy.
I just got back from the fridge and yes, there are phosphates in several of my staple foods.
Rotisserie chicken being one of them. Canned tuna another, and some of the lunch meats.
fortunately my green ice tea doesn't list it. I am troubled that ALL ingrediants are not required by law to be listed. There is no excuse for it. It adds no expense to the product to list the actual ingrediants and it provides the consumers with essential knowledge.
Outrageous!
I wonder, are there any foods, or supplements that counter the effects of phosphates?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Oh boy.
I just got back from the fridge and yes, there are phosphates in several of my staple foods.
Rotisserie chicken being one of them. Canned tuna another, and some of the lunch meats.
fortunately my green ice tea doesn't list it. I am troubled that ALL ingrediants are not required by law to be listed. There is no excuse for it. It adds no expense to the product to list the actual ingrediants and it provides the consumers with essential knowledge.
Outrageous!
I wonder, are there any foods, or supplements that counter the effects of phosphates?
Check out wild planet tuna- no phosphates. Just tuna and sea salt.

And, this is why I got a ronco rotisserie- I think it's my best kitchen buy. For around $100 I can make the best roasted whole chickens and stuff like drumsticks/thighs. Comes out crispy every time and no shady fillers.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
so glad I am in NZ.We have strict laws about additives and labellings.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwistars View Post
so glad I am in NZ.We have strict laws about additives and labellings.
And delicious lamb!! I am so glad to be able to purchase it pretty much anywhere here!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
It's a bit alarmist to link this to 'low carb' eating because the items mentioned would refer to most people eating the standard American diet.
I agree, I don't think the article was specific to a low carb diet at all. I almost never buy meats that have been injected with a "phosphate solution". I do drink diet soda once a week or so. I do eat out in restaurants at least a couple times a week. There are so many things we could worry about eating, frankly this is barely on my radar. If one is eating whole, minimally processed foods there really isn't much to worry about in regards to this article.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I make it a point to not buy injected meat, which is sometimes a challenge, but is doable, even on a budget. I almost always buy my meat on sale, and still manage to avoid the added crap.

I do drink soda and eat out fairly often, but I've made my peace with those choices.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
NO doubt about it there is so much contamination in our food that one could go crazy trying to deal with it all. But I am very glad to be informed and so i thank the op for starting this thread.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
In this blog post, the only 'danger' of phosphates that's known is for people with kidney disease, and I suspect that the rest of us naturally excrete excess phosphates.

I'm not a physician and don't know this for sure, but when my cat began having renal issues, the vet told me to try to get him to eat the special food for cats with kidney problems--it's LOW phosphate. This suggests to me that it's more of a filtering problem for those with medical issues than for the average person.

That said, I avoid food additives whenever possible and try to limit processed food to a minimum.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #14

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/155 169.4 VFT!
WOE: Weight loss surgery (VSG) + Low Carb + Exercise
Start Date: 1998; Restart May 2007 @355; WLS March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
NO doubt about it there is so much contamination in our food that one could go crazy trying to deal with it all. But I am very glad to be informed and so i thank the op for starting this thread.
, I second it
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Honestly, I feel like this is a little alarmist.

You are going to have a hard time avoiding phosphates on a low carb diet. Phosphate is present naturally in meats, cheeses , sunflower seeds, flax seeds, with no specific additives.... in far greater quantities than found in soda.

Some examples
Salmon (3 oz serving) 435mg
Halibut (3 oz serving) 242 mg
Sunflower seeds (100g serving) 1158mg
Flax seeds (100g serving) 642mg
One egg yolk - 100mg
Beef (100g, pure meat, no additives) 263mg
Chicken breast (No skin, this is for a pure chicken bresast, no additives) 190 mg
Parmesan cheese, grated, 2 tablespoons: 72 mg
Blue cheese, 1 ounce: 110 mg
bacon (100 gram serving) 591mg

Coke: 69mg
Diet Pepsi: 49mg
Dr. Pepper 44mg
Canada Dry Ginger Ale 3mg
Diet Sprite: 0mg

The recommended daily allowance for healthy adults is 700mg/day (just as a reference point) Obviously this would be less for someone with kidney disease

Going by the numbers, you would be better off drinking diet clear soda (like diet sprite) rather than having a piece of meat or an egg, if you are really interested in avoiding phosphates.

So by all means, avoid processed crap and additives, and I'm not saying diet soda is great for you..... but good luck getting around phosphates. its extremely hard for patients on a renal diet and they usually needs to take phophate binders (medication) to help reduce dietary phosphates from being absorbed.

Last edited by Strawberry; 04-21-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: birdlady46
Stats: 170/155/145
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Nov 2008
The future for diabetics

Speaking as Type 2 diabetics, and now having DH on dialysis, PLEASE follow your low-carb lifestyle. If we had not started really watching our carbs, this result would have occurred sooner. Everyday your blood vessels are being stressed by diabetes. Now we have to follow a renal diet. A low-carb is nothing compared to renal. You have access to many talented people tweeking HC recipes. It's your life & future. You can do it. YOU have to take control of YOUR life & health.
birdlady46 is offline   Reply With Quote