Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
Girlieschmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 126
Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and potassium levels

Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Long-term use of apple cider vinegar could cause low [URL="http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/featured-nutrient-potassium"]potassium levels and lower bone density. If you already have low potassium or osteoporosis, talk to your doctor before using apple cider vinegar.


This was a comment I found in a thread on apple cider vinegar....

Ok, I am confused I have read more than I can even believe of the apple cider vinegar threads and several people stated they take it for extra potassium. Does anyone know what the quote above is referencing? Does it help or hurt potassium levels?
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
raindroproses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,053
Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
That makes no sense to me whatsoever... there's extra potassium IN apple cider vinegar, so I don't know how it could possibly lower your levels

To me, I've noticed a difference in the positive direction I SHOULD notice it... which is that I feel like I'm getting extra potassium in my diet now. Which I obviously am

The only thing I could think of to ask your doctor is if you're on BP meds because I know you have to watch supplementing with potassium if you're on those. But the amount in ACV is so small that it shouldn't even be lumped in with the "supplement" category anyway imo, and should go in with the "food" category... which I don't believe those on BP meds need to watch at all.

No one would tell you to be careful eating bananas or avocados for the same reasons, right? So why ACV when it's got so much less than any of those things do?
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,578
Gallery: Strawberry
I dont understand how it would have any effect on potassium at all.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Girlieschmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 126
Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
That makes no sense to me whatsoever... there's extra potassium IN apple cider vinegar, so I don't know how it could possibly lower your levels

To me, I've noticed a difference in the positive direction I SHOULD notice it... which is that I feel like I'm getting extra potassium in my diet now. Which I obviously am

The only thing I could think of to ask your doctor is if you're on BP meds because I know you have to watch supplementing with potassium if you're on those. But the amount in ACV is so small that it shouldn't even be lumped in with the "supplement" category anyway imo, and should go in with the "food" category... which I don't believe those on BP meds need to watch at all.

No one would tell you to be careful eating bananas or avocados for the same reasons, right? So why ACV when it's got so much less than any of those things do?
See, this is exactly what I thought too! I am not on BP meds so that's not an issue.

When you say you feel like you're getting the extra potassium, what does that look like? I have the ubiquitous leg cramp issues many LCers deal with and have finally settled on potassium being the issue for me (magnesium and sodium levels are fine). I wish I could eat an avocado everyday to take care of it but it's just not happening...get in an avocado about 2x/week.

But I can take ACV daily, no problem. Just curious if a) you had leg cramp issues too, and b) did ACV help?
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Girlieschmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 126
Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I dont understand how it would have any effect on potassium at all.
It does have 11mg of potassium per serving so it would seem to be a good supplement for potassium (which is why the statement that it could lower levels threw me off).

Last edited by Girlieschmoo; 04-20-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
raindroproses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,053
Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlieschmoo View Post
See, this is exactly what I thought too! I am not on BP meds so that's not an issue.

When you say you feel like you're getting the extra potassium, what does that look like? I have the ubiquitous leg cramp issues many LCers deal with and have finally settled on potassium being the issue for me (magnesium and sodium levels are fine). I wish I could eat an avocado everyday to take care of it but it's just not happening...get in an avocado about 2x/week.

But I can take ACV daily, no problem. Just curious if a) you had leg cramp issues too, and b) did ACV help?
I did have leg cramps before! Moreso when I actually drank alcohol still (which I assume was because it dehydrates you and I was constantly running to the bathroom, which depletes your electrolytes) but I was still getting them up until recently too... just less severe thankfully. I drink the ACV tonics 3x a day every day (4x a day during TOM) and I haven't had leg cramps lately at all! I also don't get TOM cramps anymore either, and retain far less water now too. 1 pound this month, versus 4 the month prior to starting my potassium supplementation. I also take 99mg in the morning with my multi, and an extra 99mg at night during TOM too

I really do think the ACV helps! I've read somewhere that it helps with inflammation too, and I'd believe it because the joint pain I used to have all the time has all but ceased too... all I take is a multi, magnesium, and potassium right now
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,578
Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
It does have 11mg of potassium per serving so it would seem to be a good supplement for potassium
Actually, its not even a good supplement for potassium. For comparison, the typical adult needs 2000 mg of potassium a day, minimum. Typical adults consume around 5,000 mg a day. So 11mg is a drop in the bucket. A cup of orange juice has about 500 mg of potassium.

Basically ACV just wont really affect potassium. ... there isnt much in there.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Girlieschmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 126
Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I did have leg cramps before! Moreso when I actually drank alcohol still (which I assume was because it dehydrates you and I was constantly running to the bathroom, which depletes your electrolytes) but I was still getting them up until recently too... just less severe thankfully. I drink the ACV tonics 3x a day every day (4x a day during TOM) and I haven't had leg cramps lately at all! I also don't get TOM cramps anymore either, and retain far less water now too. 1 pound this month, versus 4 the month prior to starting my potassium supplementation. I also take 99mg in the morning with my multi, and an extra 99mg at night during TOM too

I really do think the ACV helps! I've read somewhere that it helps with inflammation too, and I'd believe it because the joint pain I used to have all the time has all but ceased too... all I take is a multi, magnesium, and potassium right now
Thanks...good to know! I am very interested in it for its anti-inflammatory properties as well. Didn't know that about TOM ...oh man, that would be wonderful
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Girlieschmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 126
Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Actually, its not even a good supplement for potassium. For comparison, the typical adult needs 2000 mg of potassium a day, minimum. Typical adults consume around 5,000 mg a day. So 11mg is a drop in the bucket. A cup of orange juice has about 500 mg of potassium.

Basically ACV just wont really affect potassium. ... there isnt much in there.
Good to know...wonder why so many use it for potassium???
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,396
Gallery: Patience
I had never heard about it being used for potassium (before this thread).
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Girlieschmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 126
Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I had never heard about it being used for potassium (before this thread).
I know, me either. But reading several comments about it in different threads is what got me intrigued originally because I do have a potassium deficiency (blood test shows borderline).

As I searched more threads, this came up enough that I decided I would start ACV mainly for that. Obviously, that is going to be a very minor player here now but am still going to drink it for all the other apparent benefits.
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,578
Gallery: Strawberry
I thought the benefits of AVC had to do with stabilizing blood sugar.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
raindroproses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,053
Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I thought the benefits of AVC had to do with stabilizing blood sugar.
I've heard that claim too, and I'd believe it... I eat a piece of dark chocolate daily for the same effect as well. I'm not diabetic though (just insulin resistant) so I really can't say too much about whether it stabilizes it or not in people with serious blood sugar issues. But I've heard it does help
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Geekin' in Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 130
Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
You can read the actual case information here: PayPerView: Hypokalemia, Hyperreninemia and Osteoporosis in a Patient Ingesting Large Amounts of Cider Vinegar - Karger Publishers

It looks like it might take potassium in the liver to process acetic acid in some circumstances.

First, 250ml/day is a pretty good amount. Second, there is so little information, it's hard to say whether it is the vinegar itself, the very large quantity, or something else in the diet combined with the vinegar.

There is good evidence of positive benefits, especially on some types of cancers and on insulin load after eating carbohydrates (see Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect). The problem is that dose information and controlled studies are lacking.

The glycemic impact is particularly interesting. Traditional Japanese diets have been carb heavy, but haven't had the health problems of western carby diets. I wonder if the use of vinegar in Japanese cooking has helped that.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,578
Gallery: Strawberry
Thank you, Geekin' in Utah. Great work uncovering the actual research!

(always much more helpful to see the real thing as opposed to random stuff from the internet)

It looks like they had a patient with renal tubular acidosis.... and given her unusually large consumption of apple cider vinegar, they tried to draw a correlation. I wish I could get the rest of the article.. it would be very interesting to know what happened when she stopped the ACV... if everything resolved (which would suggest the ACV was the problem) or if it continued (which would suggest an underlying renal disorder).

I agree there is some evidence, but its weak, as far as the benefits of ACV.... but in any case, if someone wants to try a tablespoon or so a day, it shouldnt be harmful. Overconsumption (which could be a problem with just about any supplement or vitamin) seemed to be the problem in that case report.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Girlieschmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 126
Gallery: Girlieschmoo
Stats: 142/124/121
WOE: Maria Emmerich and "No S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah View Post

There is good evidence of positive benefits, especially on some types of cancers and on insulin load after eating carbohydrates (see Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect). The problem is that dose information and controlled studies are.
This was very interesting. The dosage thing really is the question...

I am going to start doing some post-prandial glucose testing after meals with ACV and see what I find out (not diabetic, just insulin-resistant).

Thanks for posting that...
Girlieschmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.