Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hitsalot
Start Date: July 2010
Blood/Urine lab results are back. Anyone in the medical field around to help?

Background: I've been doing low carb (this round of it) since December. Down 30 lbs (W00T!). The first 3 months were fine, even though i've plateaued over the last 4 weeks.

My menu hasn't exactly been induction these last few weeks, and i've cheated a few times. Now i've been getting bouts of lightheadedness for the past month. Went to Doc, had blood and Urine tests. (BP is 125/80, by the way)

everything was in normal range, except *Gulp* Glucose: 110. This was after not having eaten for the previous 11 hours, and having been on a decent diet for the previous 4 months....no soda, , juice, bread, potatoes....the usual stuff to stay away from. So for my glucose to be a little high is worrying. I'm thinking i should go back to strict induction and have blood tests done again when i go back next month.

The other thing that was out of range was my white blood cell count in my urine. A quick google search said that it might have something to do with a UTI or Kidney infection. I have been a kidney stone patient in the past, which sucked...and i've been getting that feeling that another one is brewing. I already drink tons of water, so i don't know what to do there.

Doc said we could discuss everything when i go back next month, so he doesn't seem too concerned. Meanwhile, i'm still getting light-headed every so often. PISSING ME OFF.

Thanks gang. Hope everyone is well.

ps- if anyone wants to know any other #'s from the lab, i'll share them. I don't care.

jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Could be the dawn phenomenon where you get higher fasting blood glucose numbers when eating LC. Did they check your A1C? That's more important.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
With the lightheadedness... are you getting enough sodium in your diet? This can cause lightheadedness in some people, so just a thought since you said you're well hydrated already

With the kidney stones, be sure you're not getting too much calcium. Do you supplement at all? If you do, and you take extra calcium beyond what's in a multi-vitamin it's likely the amount may be too much for you. I believe they're caused by an excess buildup of calcium in our bodies. Perhaps you're getting a lot in your diet already from dairy?
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hitsalot
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Could be the dawn phenomenon where you get higher fasting blood glucose numbers when eating LC. Did they check your A1C? That's more important.
Hemoglobin A1C = 5.4. In range. Decreased risk of diabetes < 5.7. I dont know...5.4 still seems kinda close to an increased risk for someone who's trying their damndest to keep sugar out of their life. ...but i also dont know what the bottom of that range is, either. I'm assuming 0 means you are dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
With the lightheadedness... are you getting enough sodium in your diet? This can cause lightheadedness in some people, so just a thought since you said you're well hydrated already

I think so... Sodium was at 143 in the lab, which is in range.

With the kidney stones, be sure you're not getting too much calcium. Do you supplement at all? If you do, and you take extra calcium beyond what's in a multi-vitamin it's likely the amount may be too much for you. I believe they're caused by an excess buildup of calcium in our bodies. Perhaps you're getting a lot in your diet already from dairy?
i dont really supplement as much as i should. Even just a multi... rarely. Dairy, honestly not too much either. Maybe a couple slices of cheese and a pat or 2 of butter a day. Ugh.... i think i might need to go the LEMON JUICE route, or the Apple Cider Vinegar route, which is less desirable. eeewww....
hitsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
did you do a clean catch urine sample? If not it could have been contaminated by the vaginal area - if numbers were low and you aren't having any symptoms of UTI.
A friend of mine has a lifelong history of kidney stones (hes 75) citric acid is important to take. He drinks lemonade and diet 7-up and hasn't had a flare up in 6 months....
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsalot View Post
Hemoglobin A1C = 5.4. In range. Decreased risk of diabetes < 5.7. I dont know...5.4 still seems kinda close to an increased risk for someone who's trying their damndest to keep sugar out of their life. ...but i also dont know what the bottom of that range is, either. I'm assuming 0 means you are dead.
Dr. Bernstein recommends lower levels but 5.4 is considered quite normal. I would pay more attention to that as it's a 3 month average rather than a single reading taken at one time on one day. If you're concerned maybe you could get a blood glucose meter and track your bg level at various times of the day.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote