Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alabamabelle27
Low Carb and Menstrual Cycle

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums. My husband and I have been following the low carb lifestyle for a month and a half now. Together we have collectively lost 23 lbs. With the weight loss, I have noticed that my menstraul cycles seem to be regulating itself. Has this happened to anyone else? I would literally go 5 to 6 months without a cycle before and now it is becoming regular. I apologize if this topic is considered rude to discuss, I am just curious to know if this is normal and if I should be concerned.
alabamabelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Welcome! It's very possible that LC eating has helped regulate your cycle. LC eating is a great treatment for PCOS which can be a cause of irregular periods. Do you know if you have PCOS or any other of its signs and symptoms?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
What is PCOS?

I've just had my first period since starting lc and the only difference I noticed was it was hard and fast. Normally it lasts five day. This time it was full on and over with in 3.

Sorry about TMI
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Happens to me. I have pcos though. Sometimes I'll bleed longer. Three months straight once.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
What is PCOS?

I've just had my first period since starting lc and the only difference I noticed was it was hard and fast. Normally it lasts five day. This time it was full on and over with in 3.

Sorry about TMI
PCOS is PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome... and it's a royal pain in the butt

If you Google it, lots of information comes up (despite the medical community itself not even knowing much about treatment beyond shoving birth control at you ) but basically it can cause a whole slew of uncomfortable and often embarrassing symptoms in us women who have it... irregular periods, sometimes VERY heavy bleeding, cysts on the ovaries, excess facial hair growth, insulin resistance, a propensity to carry most of your weight around your midsection, rough/darker patches of skin, lower tone of voice from excess testosterone, female pattern balding... you name it, some of us probably have it

Luckily if you have it, you likely won't have ALL the symptoms... you can even have it without actually having the cysts that the syndrome is named for. That's actually why they've been trying to change the name of it to something else, to clear up the confusion. I don't know how I feel about that personally because that's something I've identified with for so long (saying "I have PCOS") but if it helps to stop misinformation from spreading I guess it can only be a good thing. At least the medical community is giving a crap for a change! We usually get ignored
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote