Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Low Carb and Menstrual Cycle (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/801011-low-carb-menstrual-cycle.html)

alabamabelle27 04-02-2013 01:08 AM

Low Carb and Menstrual Cycle

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums. My husband and I have been following the low carb lifestyle for a month and a half now. Together we have collectively lost 23 lbs. With the weight loss, I have noticed that my menstraul cycles seem to be regulating itself. Has this happened to anyone else? I would literally go 5 to 6 months without a cycle before and now it is becoming regular. I apologize if this topic is considered rude to discuss, I am just curious to know if this is normal and if I should be concerned.

Mistizoom 04-04-2013 08:37 PM

Welcome! It's very possible that LC eating has helped regulate your cycle. LC eating is a great treatment for PCOS which can be a cause of irregular periods. Do you know if you have PCOS or any other of its signs and symptoms?

lilbeetle 04-05-2013 01:14 AM

What is PCOS?

I've just had my first period since starting lc and the only difference I noticed was it was hard and fast. Normally it lasts five day. This time it was full on and over with in 3.

Sorry about TMI :)

bacon bit 04-05-2013 04:13 AM

Happens to me. I have pcos though. Sometimes I'll bleed longer. Three months straight once.

raindroproses 04-05-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbeetle (Post 16355768)
What is PCOS?

I've just had my first period since starting lc and the only difference I noticed was it was hard and fast. Normally it lasts five day. This time it was full on and over with in 3.

Sorry about TMI :)

PCOS is PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome... and it's a royal pain in the butt :laugh:

If you Google it, lots of information comes up (despite the medical community itself not even knowing much about treatment beyond shoving birth control at you :annoyed:) but basically it can cause a whole slew of uncomfortable and often embarrassing symptoms in us women who have it... irregular periods, sometimes VERY heavy bleeding, cysts on the ovaries, excess facial hair growth, insulin resistance, a propensity to carry most of your weight around your midsection, rough/darker patches of skin, lower tone of voice from excess testosterone, female pattern balding... you name it, some of us probably have it :laugh:

Luckily if you have it, you likely won't have ALL the symptoms... you can even have it without actually having the cysts that the syndrome is named for. That's actually why they've been trying to change the name of it to something else, to clear up the confusion. I don't know how I feel about that personally because that's something I've identified with for so long (saying "I have PCOS") but if it helps to stop misinformation from spreading I guess it can only be a good thing. At least the medical community is giving a crap for a change! We usually get ignored :eek: