Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Breast cancer (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/800454-breast-cancer.html)

bezysk 03-27-2013 08:15 AM

Breast cancer

I am a two time stage 4 breast cancer survivor. Enjoying every minute of life. :)

Any other survivors out there taking tamoxifen, arimedex, aromasin, etc, struggling to lose? I feel great on this WOE, energy is way better and I am much more clearheaded, however weight loss is still very slow. Hoping to encourage one another.

lewlew48 03-27-2013 08:27 PM

I've been on Tamoxifen for four years now and have found the low carb way has kept myy weight down. ( I also have hypothyroidism which doesn't help!) My oncologist is always amazed and asking how I can do it as most gain weight. I also exercise daily and eat LOTS of greens and no processed foods. Just had my slew of annual tests so keeping my fingers crossed that all comes back clear! Glad to be part of a support system!

shmabby 03-28-2013 07:01 AM

I was diagnosed around thanksgiving

stage 2, triple positive, her2 positive.

Currently doing (3rd chemo is next thurs) doing, taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin.

So far - so good

bezysk 03-28-2013 07:49 PM

I'm so glad to find you ladies here! I think that BC patients typically do struggle t lose or even maintain our weight. It's taken me over a year to lose 22 pounds on miscellaneous programs. I'm hoping that this time on LC I will refrain from being discouraged and instead concentrate on how much better I feel. I think that the last time I did LC I gave up because I thought it wasn't working for me either(just like every other WOE I had tried). I must keep the bigger picture in mind. This WOE also seems to help my lymph edema too. I think it's the diuretic effect. All in all I'm very happy to be back and I'm hoping this site will help me to stay motivated.

krow134 04-05-2013 03:08 PM

can I hijack the thread to ask a question? I went to a new gynie today due to issues I keep having. (testing thyroid and for PCOS and a whole bunch of other things). My old gynie who I was with for 20 years got to the point of just blewing everything off. Well last year I felt a lump in my left breast. He did breast exam and said "Your breasts are little, if there was something there I would of felt it." I let it go figure it was nothing and kept on. But from time to time if I leaned a certain way or wore a bra with underwire etc etc, I remembered the lump because it would throb. So new doc checked it today and said she felt a mass of nodules and breast indent, and is sending me for a mammogram on the 16th. I just dont know what that means. I asked if she thought it was cyst's as my sister has cystic breasts. But she just kinda sucked in her lower lip and said lets get the mammogram and go from there. I am pretty nervous now. Just the look on her face. I just dont know what she meant by a mass of nodules and breast indent. Can anyone give me an idea? The 16th is 1 and 1/2 weeks away and this is gonna eat me up not knowing.

shmabby 04-05-2013 03:20 PM

I'm sorry but I don't know.

I wish I could tell you to not worry but I realize it doesn't work that way.

I'd suggest doing a 3D mammogram if you have that option available to you.

good luck

krow134 04-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmabby (Post 16357044)
I'm sorry but I don't know.

I wish I could tell you to not worry but I realize it doesn't work that way.

I'd suggest doing a 3D mammogram if you have that option available to you.

good luck

Thank you! I want to look it up online but I know that the worst thing I can do. Was hoping for someone with a similar situation!

I dont think I have a choice. They office made all the arrangements and just handed me the paper work and told me when to be there. I have to have a ton of blood work, a mammogram and an internal/external examine to check on fibroid growth.

shmabby 04-05-2013 04:03 PM

i know what you mean
information overload can be BOTH a blessing and a curse.

Myself i like knowing worst case scenario so if reality is better I feel better
kind of hope for the best/expect the worst

But YMMD

When I was diagnosed I read everything I could get my hands on. I felt bad for the librarian when he saw my stack of books and each one had "cancer" in the title.

I like having the ENTIRE list of all possilbe side effects knowing each person is different and I probably would not/ and so far have NOT had to suffer most of them.

The waiting between all the procedures is what made me the craziest. Waiting for the procedure then waiting for the result(s) of the procedure repeat a bunch of times.

bethany66 04-08-2013 01:06 PM

breast cancer

I did have breast cancer and had surgery and radiation in 2007. I took tamoxifen for 5 years, just fniishing up in April of 2012. I repeatedly told my doctors that I was having serious trouble losing weight while on the Tamoxifen and they poo-pooed me every time. I walked two 3 day 60 mile walks for breast cancer and with my training walked almost a thousand miles in a year and still only lost a few pounds. Once the Tamoxifen was out of my system and I began low carbing I lost weight.

I would never say it can't be done, but for me it was very difficult to lose while on the medication. I will be honest though, I didn't full force low carb while I was taking Tamoxifen. Low carb, with exercise may be the perfect combination for losing while on the medications!! Good luck!! And congratulations on beating BC twice!! You are amazing!!! :clap:

bezysk 04-09-2013 06:55 PM

Katiebubb,
I am having a great sense of déjà vu reading your story. I first presented with a lump when I was 34 1/2. My doctor did send me for a mammogram however it was misread as benign. My doc never followed up with me and I too figured my breast were probably just fibrous like my moms. When I was just 36 the lump changed dramatically so I went back. Everyone suddenly jumped into action and I was ultimately diagnosed as stage III invasive ductal. Here are some things I didn't know when I went for my first mammogram. If you present with a lump an ultrasound must be done as well as a mammogram in order for the mammogram to be considered diagnostic. Also an appointment should be made for you to see a surgeon so that a biopsy may be performed. This is the only way to know for sure if it is cancer and what type(invasive/non invasive, estrogen positive, her2 positive, etc.) I wish I had something more pie in the sky to tell you but by your description I too find myself sucking in my lower lip. What I can tell you on a positive note is this, we could all be wrong and it may be nothing, but if it is cancer you can and will come through it better and stronger than you ever thought you could be. I will continue to check this thread and hope that you will keep me posted. Hang in there!

bezysk 04-09-2013 07:03 PM

Bethany66,
Thanks for letting me know your experience. I think this is my one best hope of keeping my weight in check. It's such a catch 22. We know that fat produces estrogen and so we need to keep our weight under control and yet we have to take meds that make it nearly impossible to lose. I will be on tamoxifen for as long as I live. Which kind of sucks but I'm grateful for it at the same time.
Congrats on your five years! I think you are pretty amazing too!

shmabby 04-10-2013 04:57 AM

ugh the fat thing
allmost all the females in my family have stuggled with weight. and this is BEFORE the high carb/low fat craze. So far I'm the ONLY one to have been diagosed with bc (my dd who is 16 is also overweight).

I don't know how to say this w/o being defeatist because I don't mean it that way but regardless what I do/don't do, eat/don't eat, how much excercise I include I will ALWAYS be overweight.

To me the challenge is to be less overweight
to manage the health aspect (cancer, kidney stones, diabetes) but to be honest I just do NOT see myself in a daily regime that puts me at a "normal bmi/weight".

bezysk 04-10-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmabby (Post 16364557)
ugh the fat thing
allmost all the females in my family have stuggled with weight. and this is BEFORE the high carb/low fat craze. So far I'm the ONLY one to have been diagosed with bc (my dd who is 16 is also overweight).

I don't know how to say this w/o being defeatist because I don't mean it that way but regardless what I do/don't do, eat/don't eat, how much excercise I include I will ALWAYS be overweight.

To me the challenge is to be less overweight
to manage the health aspect (cancer, kidney stones, diabetes) but to be honest I just do NOT see myself in a daily regime that puts me at a "normal bmi/weight".

I hear you shmabby! I too have been overweight by at least twenty to thirty pounds most of my life. While I don't think my overweight was the cause of my BC I know it doesn't help. I like you am just hoping to keep my weight in check. I also struggle with some lymph edema in my right hand and arm. The diuretic effect of a LC diet seems to help keep it under control. Oh and like you, I have no family history.

shmabby 04-11-2013 06:05 AM

i know this is relative to our own individual perspective but for me body weight has always been and will alwyas be the final frontier.

50,000,000+ diet books
different things work for different people but nothing seems easy enough to work for always. No matter what the struggle some people (I include myself) cannot do "what it takes' to maintain".

I really think we are always, as we have short and tall people, going to have people who are of different weights.

I WISH (for me) I didn't enjoy the pleasures of food. I'm convinced in my case, if food was nothing more than nutrients to me then MAYBE I'd have a shot at almost ideal but as it is now - it is NOT going to happen.

Even if the price is shortened life epectency. I do work out, and I do try to eat "right" but .....

the "funny" thing is while I was waiting for a med apptnt yesterday I was reading an article about mortality being higher for normal weight than overweight. So of course they asked the question: then wouldn't it be better? But of course the answer was NO because it HAD to be NO because we no NOHTING else if we don't know this: regardless of anything you can't be fat. With "science" like this it's not a surprise we are all so confused.

bezysk 04-12-2013 02:55 PM

Confusion is the word baby! That's why I have to consider the othe feel good factors of this WOE. :)

krow134 04-12-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bezysk (Post 16364214)
Katiebubb,
I am having a great sense of déjà vu reading your story. I first presented with a lump when I was 34 1/2. My doctor did send me for a mammogram however it was misread as benign. My doc never followed up with me and I too figured my breast were probably just fibrous like my moms. When I was just 36 the lump changed dramatically so I went back. Everyone suddenly jumped into action and I was ultimately diagnosed as stage III invasive ductal. Here are some things I didn't know when I went for my first mammogram. If you present with a lump an ultrasound must be done as well as a mammogram in order for the mammogram to be considered diagnostic. Also an appointment should be made for you to see a surgeon so that a biopsy may be performed. This is the only way to know for sure if it is cancer and what type(invasive/non invasive, estrogen positive, her2 positive, etc.) I wish I had something more pie in the sky to tell you but by your description I too find myself sucking in my lower lip. What I can tell you on a positive note is this, we could all be wrong and it may be nothing, but if it is cancer you can and will come through it better and stronger than you ever thought you could be. I will continue to check this thread and hope that you will keep me posted. Hang in there!

thank you! I have been searching trying to educate myself and I am finding more tears than anything this past few days. I do know that if this was 20 years ago I would consider if I heard the words cancer a death sentence, but here we are in 2013 and if I hear the word cancer, I know if can be fought better than ever! Its the whole waiting thing.........tues is all the tests but I dont go back to gynie until the 26th. She did say depending on the mammo, depends on next steps. She said since I am new to her we will start with baby steps before we run! And this was to everything not just the mammo. She was upset a bit that my old gynie knew I had fibroids and didnt send me for blood work. She said that is something she does automatic. She said fibroid usually means to much estrogen and that needs to be looked at. She is younger and my old gynie is older so I think there is an education curve there......I dont know how else to word that but I am sure you understand what I am saying.

I was wondering to myself, if the mammogram comes back bad if she will make me wait until the 26th to say anything.........I am already kinda very mad that the old gynie pretty much ignored me, then I in dumbness ignored it because he ignored it..........

shmabby 04-13-2013 03:14 AM

the waiting was the tough part for me and the fact that a post surgical infection delayed the chemo schedule by a month.

As her 2 +, I will tell you this. today - 2013 there are treatments available now that were not just 10 years ago.

Again, and this is for me, I found tremendous support from various bc support groups in my area. Some were one stand alone meeting, others ongoing. There's lot of support out there you can probably hook into if that interests you via the internet.

bezysk 04-13-2013 06:18 PM

Waiting is definitely the hardest part. Once you know what you are dealing with and you have a game plan you can have at least a sense of control. Please, please keep,us updated. You are in my prayers.

Oh and don't beat yourself up over "ignoring" it. You trusted your doc as did I and none of us wants to pursue a cancer diagnosis. We would all like to think we are just fine. Plus cancer is a sneaky thing in that you can go a long time with no symptoms.

krow134 04-13-2013 06:48 PM

Thank you both of you!!

I was talking with my sister and she wished me luck over the mammo. She gets them years since she was 30 because of her lumpy boobs. She said they hurt. YeAh!! lol!! She did make me feel better because she said she has indention with her cysts too. But all mammos, sonograms and biopsy have come back normal for her. So maybe, just maybe, its fibrocystic like her after all. Atleast I am hoping so!!

shmabby 04-14-2013 03:45 AM

plus with a super quick acting cancer like her 2 + you can have regular mammograms and it can show up between them.

The past is the past.

I also avoided them because of them pain.

no one attempted to tell me:
1. things I could do to lessen the pain (decrease caffeine before hand)
2. that with age the odds of cancer increase

When I had my mammogram (the recent 3d one) it didn't hurt at all.

"unfortunately" i think the fact that bc is just so (*)*%)%* common means the doctors have a direction to follow.

No one would choose cancer, but I think bc is a "better" one to have.

krow134 04-16-2013 07:55 PM

So far so good. I had the mammo today. Right away they had me have a sonogram of that breast to. The tech told me off record it didn't look like anything to worry about. To me it looked like a tiny little cyst on the sonogram. Perfectly around and clear in middle. will find out soon enough for sure, but I am so relieved at the moment!

shmabby 04-17-2013 08:14 AM

that's great!

bezysk 04-20-2013 07:45 AM

I am sooooo happy to hear that! I know how relieved you must feel! Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I hope the tech is right. They see enough of these things that they probably are. I'm so glad that they sent you for ultrasound right away.:jumpjoy: