Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Nuts Cause Joint Pain? ?? ???

I was trying to make fat-bombs, which meant I needed almond butter.
For the past 8 years or so I've avoided nuts, because they cause migraines. However recently my mom (who has worse migraines than I do) mentioned that raw, soaked/sprouted nuts cause less problems.

So, I've been experimenting. Found my old coffee grinder (to grind my own nut butter), went to Whole Foods' bulk nuts section, and started soaking some nuts. Then after eating some definitely-headache-inducing almond butter, along with far too many of the sprouted almonds, I figured I'm in for a headache anyway, and continued with some not-soaked cashews, and some pecans soaked-but-then-toasted.

And out of the blue: (1) Knee pain gets much worse, even though it's been several days since I had a little bit of nightshade-veggie, so the pain should be fading instead of increasing. (2) I'm getting leg cramps. (3) Joint pain in my ankle & foot. (4) Arthritic pain in my hands and WRIST!??!?! This has not happened before!!

The only thing that is different, is that I've been eating nuts.
Searching the web, I've found maybe two comments that say to avoid nuts for joint pain/arthritis. All the others say that nuts would make it better. (They also all say to eat a low-fat vegan diet. Hah!)

Has anyone else found that nuts cause joint pain/arthritis??

I'm really really hoping that it's not all/any quantity of nuts, but that rather it's the Too Much aspect that's a problem. I was so pleased to think I could eat them again! However, if they're gonna immobilize me, that's not gonna work.
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Do you eat gluten free? That's what causes a lot of joint pain for me. Potatoes too. I've never heard of nuts causing pain but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Well this is interesting. I have been avoiding nuts since I read this several days ago.....my wrist pain and finger joints seem better.....so I wonder if this is working, or just in my head.

For me, I do know the vegan low fat did not help my arthritis. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing fiddlejen
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I eat nut butters, but only occasionally (since I have no self- control with them), and I've never really noticed any difference in pain (I have severe osteo-arthritis that I control with diet and exercise).

Perhaps it was the quanitity? I find that if I eat even a harmless food to excess, I retain water--and it's that water weight that will bring on joint pain.

However, I plan to watch for any even slight increase in pain the next time I indulge in nut butters because I could use a really good excuse for avoiding them--other than my own lack of control:-)
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Nuts are pretty high in 06 oil. That might be contributing.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: curious georgie
I notice, unfortunately, that now ALL nuts cause me joint pain. I continue to cycle back to them every once in a while to see if my sensitivity improves, because I would be okay with eating them as part of my low carb diet. It is a bummer because I really like them. When I eat them, I have awful internal aches in my hips and lower back which vanishes as soon as I stop eating them. It hurts to even bend down and tie my shoe. Without it, I am super flexible and relatively pain free. I wish I could eat them, but alas, it doesn't work for me unless I am prepared to suffer the next day. If they don't bother you, I wouldn't worry about what other people say unless you notice it. For me, it is literally painfully obvious.
curious georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
That's a bummer. I love nuts but am off them for now, because no control.
When you say all nuts do you really mean all nuts? Which ones do you eat and are there any that you don't eat? Just curious.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I'm definitely going to start paying attention to this. I would never have even given the slightest possibility for nuts to be a problem of joint pain. I do have issues with joint pain, but hoping this is NOT one of those things that affects me.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Di@nne
Nuts cause me to have joint pain too. It hurts my feet and ankles when I get up from sitting down. My hands are really stiff too. One summer I was on a raw vegan diet and ate a lot of raw nuts every day and had problems with joint pain, but wasn't sure of the cause. Well last night I ate a lot of raw nuts and seeds (pistachios, walnuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, flax seeds) and today I have that same type of joint pain from two summers ago. Now I know there's definitely a connection.
Di@nne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
This is really interesting because I have very, very bad knees (bone on bone), and my surgeon has encouraged me to avoid replacement surgery (my goal) since I've been managing to limit pain via diet (anti-inflammatory) and exercise. He warned me, however, that the pain could 'break through' at any time, and then surgery would be inevitable.

Last week, I was experiencing such incredible pain that I assumed it was time to schedule my surgery. However, this week, I feel fine again. The difference is that last week, I was making flax meal muffins and eating at least one daily. This week, I haven't had any flax meal at all!

I plan to 'experiment' in a couple of weeks to see whether it actually is the flax, but I'm intrigued--and glad to have much less pain now.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Carol R
How particular. I have never had the slightest problems whatsoever with nuts. Interesting to learn about those aspects though. I have had joint pains before I started to eat gluten free, but nuts never caused any trouble.
Carol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lawsish
Hi, was just searching nut allergy symptoms when I came across this thread. Have had awful joint pain since I began a low carb regime and started eating loads of - you guessed it, nuts!! I'll give them a rest for a few days and see if things improve. As some of you have mentioned I thought they were supposed to be good for joints etc
Lawsish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I love nuts and eat them more and more now that I've reached my weight goal and am successfully maintaining.
I used to have chronic knee pain, but that went away when I dropped grains from my diet. Nuts have not caused me any difficulties at all, but as with everything metabolism based, YMMV.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote