Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   No "poop" FAIRY (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/798226-no-poop-fairy.html)

Kimberli33 03-01-2013 01:33 PM

No "poop" FAIRY

Probably TMI:I have been waiting for a visit from the poop fairy for a good 10 days:stars:I have maybe went half heartedly twice in that amount of time and that was after 4 doses Miralax, 250 mg Magnesium,and SF candy and coffee.My stomach rumbles and grumbles but its all show and no go.:dunno:I drink plenty of water and im in the BR for other reasons,so I dont think Im dehydrated.
I feel ok,but surely I need to go,dont I???:stars:
I been losing weight like mad.More than expected and I feel great but dont want to have a problem occur from lack of BR time.I dont know what else to do.

Beeb 03-01-2013 01:44 PM

Coconut oil, 1 TBS in a cup of coffee with cream......helps me EVERY time!! ;)

CindyCRNA 03-01-2013 01:46 PM

4 doses of Miralax over what period? Miralax takes 24 hours to work. 250mg of Mag isn't enough. Take another. Now wait for it all to kick in. Trust me, I'm an expert at this!!:laugh: And Miralax should be taken daily for best results. You may not need a whole dose daily but if this is a chronic issue, it may be easier.

svenskamae 03-01-2013 01:46 PM

I eat coconut butter from the spoon, finding it a little more palatable than the oilier coconut oil. 1 serving for me is 2 Tablespoons worth. I also find fatty nuts, such as macademias, help me. And keep up the magnesium supplements and drink loads of water.

dianda 03-01-2013 01:50 PM

I haven't "gone" in about 4-5 days now but I don't "feel" constipated. I just don't have the urge, so to speak. Is there any chance constipation is part of LC? I mean, so many people report this problem... maybe the elimination of grains/sugar just produces less waste?

Water - lots and lots - has always done the trick in a couple of days for me.

SadieJack 03-01-2013 02:03 PM

I didn't know there was a poop fairy! :laugh:

svenskamae 03-01-2013 02:06 PM

I have had period in my life when I would only "go" once a week; this was when I was eating extremely low calories but still high carb in a (futile) attempt to lose weight. A weightloss doctor whom I consulted told me that this wasn't healthy but it wasn't surprising because: 1) the volume of food that I ate was so low and 2) my body was probably trying to wring every possible calorie out of what I did eat, since I was underfeeding it.

Not "going" often while eating lowcarb may partly reflect what one is eating (are you eating a lot of non-starchy but voluminous veggies with fiber or just mostly fat and meat)? From what I've read from sources like "Practical Paleo," I'd say it's definitely better to "go" every day or so, particularly if the resolution is drinking lots and lots of water--which is good for us in so many ways.

svenskamae 03-01-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16289161)

I think she's a sister of the whoosh fairy. They often travel together. :hyst:

An amusing perspective on this sort of thing is the very informative chapter of "Practical Paleo" on digestive issues, which comes with an illustration of the "poop parade" and a "queen of the poop parade" (i.e., showing how what one eliminates may be suggestive of what digestive issues one is having). ;)

Casey 03-01-2013 02:23 PM

Yes, that can be a side effect of low carb - not enough roughage. I take benefiber daily in my coffee and also use flax and chia when I can. This is an issue especially during induction.

Kimberli33 03-01-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyCRNA (Post 16289113)
4 doses of Miralax over what period? Miralax takes 24 hours to work. 250mg of Mag isn't enough. Take another. Now wait for it all to kick in. Trust me, I'm an expert at this!!:laugh: And Miralax should be taken daily for best results. You may not need a whole dose daily but if this is a chronic issue, it may be easier.

4 doses over the last week...and then when it failed ,other methods.

Kimberli33 03-01-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16289165)
I have had period in my life when I would only "go" once a week; this was when I was eating extremely low calories but still high carb in a (futile) attempt to lose weight. A weightloss doctor whom I consulted told me that this wasn't healthy but it wasn't surprising because: 1) the volume of food that I ate was so low and 2) my body was probably trying to wring every possible calorie out of what I did eat, since I was underfeeding it.

Not "going" often while eating lowcarb may partly reflect what one is eating (are you eating a lot of non-starchy but voluminous veggies with fiber or just mostly fat and meat)? From what I've read from sources like "Practical Paleo," I'd say it's definitely better to "go" every day or so, particularly if the resolution is drinking lots and lots of water--which is good for us in so many ways.

My diet this week consisted mainly of eggs,butter,celery,tomatoes,and some salami.

Kimberli33 03-01-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16289161)

YES there is,she just doent visit me often:D

CindyCRNA 03-01-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16289244)
My diet this week consisted mainly of eggs,butter,celery,tomatoes,and some salami.

That's a pretty low residual diet. It wouldn't surprise me if you went 2-3 days without a BM but 10 days is excessive. I would take 500mg of Mag before bed tonight and a daily dose of Miralax from here on out.

coffeelover 03-01-2013 02:52 PM

I suggest just using something like Ducolax - take 2 before bed. Then once that is accomplished continue with the magnesium and start taking a fibre supplement. I take the Kirkland brand from Costco. Follow the directions on the bottle. Hope it works!

Quote:

I think she's a sister of the whoosh fairy. They often travel together.
:laugh: :clap:

Julie1972 03-01-2013 03:35 PM

I take 500 mg of magnesium every night and it usually results in "activity" first thing in the morning. :-)

melisa82 03-01-2013 04:22 PM

Do the following:

Drink a laxative tea before bed.

Then upon waking, before eating or drinking anything do the following:

Warm 25oz of water and add 1tsp sea salt (non-iodized). Mix well and drink it ALL!

sweet irony 03-01-2013 05:27 PM

Probiotics are a must. Your old bacteria doesn't know what to do with its new food. Get some new bacteria in there. Along with more magnesium and more fat, you'll be cleaned out in no time at all.

Kimberli33 03-01-2013 05:37 PM

Thanks everyone.Would it be overkill to do Magnesium,Coconut Oil,Vitamin C and probiotics?

Sharss 03-01-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16289575)
Thanks everyone.Would it be overkill to do Magnesium,Coconut Oil,Vitamin C and probiotics?

Do whatever it takes, Kimberli. I certainly know magnesium works as once an acupuncturist sold me a bottle of magnesium to help me sleep. I ended up with a most horrible diarrhea problem that stayed with me for years. And yes, I had followed his dosage recommendation. My point being - it does work, but if it takes all you mentioned, go for it.

Certainly not saying to overload on mag everyday, but a few days would do wonders I would think. I don't think not going for 10 days is healthy at all.

Good luck. :hugs:

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
:heart:

trishthedish 03-01-2013 06:17 PM

In my experience, two tablespoons of flax each day (with breakfast) ensures I get a visit from the poop fairy each morning.

When LCing without the flax, it's every three or four days.

CindyCRNA 03-01-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16289575)

No. To me, the Mag is the active ingredient here. The others are "helpers".

Just Russ 03-01-2013 07:11 PM

I suggest psyllium capsules. I had terrible problems with wheat based fiber. I take 1-2 capsules with every meal just to add a little bulk. It's not a lot but something to go through. Years ago I started with the Atkins branded (until they closed that business after Dr A's death). Now I buy the generic Equate brand.

Heheher 03-01-2013 11:16 PM

One minute muffin made with flax. My littlest calls it the "mom needs to poop muffin". (Blush)

CindyCRNA 03-02-2013 06:23 AM

You have to post when you finally go! I am emotionally invested in this thread!!

shelby'snana 03-02-2013 06:55 AM

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

We'll cheer you on ! :hyst:

Kateee 03-02-2013 08:56 AM

Make sure your drinking lots of water...water is important with LCing ..add more veggies to your diet....broccoli & celery for starters :)

Also a glass of warm water with fresh lemon juice first thing in the morning might help get you moving...you need to be drink it first thing after getting up....

Also google Citrate of Magnesia...Walgreens sells it in a bottle....but be warned....its not pleasant, and your day will be confined to the bathroom :cry:

Hope you feel much better soon....

Just Russ 03-02-2013 06:27 PM

You will post a big weight loss when you finally go. LOL!! It is imporant to add some fiber to retain moisture, at this point, I'd suggest some stool softeners to so you don't strain excessively (I didn't think I had strained but one of my episodes did burst something (fortunately small) & I got an emergency colonoscopy out of it.)

I do slow down on low carb because it is low residue... but if I don't go every 2-3 days, I don't feel well. Hense my earlier reply about the psylium fiber. If you are really stopped up you might need to use a suppository laxative, but that's not something you want to do on a frequent basis. I'm serious, people end up in the ER for this surprisingly often.

You've got to learn what YOU need: water, fiber to keep balanced.

flappa1016 03-02-2013 09:23 PM

In the medical issues section, there is a thread where users swear by homemade chicken broth. Makes sense, because the magnesium is being leached from the chicken bones.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ge...stipation.html

juliekaboolie 03-02-2013 10:09 PM

1 tbsp coconut oil plus coconut milk (instead of cream) helps me go and gives no cramping. Miralax definitely works with the right dose. I also go more regularly when I eat veggies with every meal plus plenty of fat. Let us know when you blow! Lol!

A&F 03-03-2013 08:54 AM

Magnesium always works for me; sometimes a little too well. I have to make sure not to take it before running errands.