Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barrycudda
Extreme Carbohydrate Sensitivity?

Hi
It wasnt until I reconnected with a long lost cousin that I found out there was a family history of metabolic syndrome/diabetes in the family.
I dont have diabetes at 54, but definately metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance.
I think that may be why I have only had success, albeit moderate, losing weight with what I thought was a low carb diet.
Even low fat, vegetarian, and extremely low calorie diets didnt work-and yes my thyroid checks out OK.
I decided to skip the toast and honet for breakfast, which was the main carb meal of the day, and go for yoghurt. No more sandwhichs for lunch and potato for supper. After two weeks two pounds lighter and feeling better over all.
I know I am not gluten sensitive as I went for almost a year gluten free (but lots of rice, potatoes, etc) with no luck.
That got me thinking I was probably eating more carbs than I thought so I started reading packaging and got a carb counter booklet.
I am trying to stay under 50 grams a day.
The weight is finally coming off, and my other symptoms like sneezing, clogge d up nose, aches and pains, anxiety and A.D.D. symptoms have gone!
My doctor has never heard of it, and not much info online, I am hoping someone here can chime in. Is there such a thing as being extremelty sensitive to carbohydrates?
barrycudda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
that's what metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance IS, barrycudda. extreme sensitivity to carbs. most of us have them. and not only do they do what you say, they also act like an addictive drug in that when we go off plan and binge on carbs, it can set up a cycle of craving and binging that goes for MONTHS. *sigh*

welcome to low carbing and I hope it works out well for you! *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
I think this is being caused by insulin resistance. I'm not entirely sure yet myself but I think this is what is happening:

When an insulin-resistant person consumes carbohydrates, the carbs are converted to glucose, but the body has difficulty storing the glucose. The cells are supposed to uptake and store this glucose but they don't want to, so the body has to produce more insulin to force the cells to take up the glucose. The spike in insulin usually causes a drop in blood glucose that is a little too low but not low enough to meet the medical definition of hypoglycemia. This low level of blood glucose will cause feelings of tiredness, fatigue, sleepiness, etc.

Some say that the excess insulin, in and of itself, will cause the tiredness, fatigue, sleepiness, etc. I don't know if that is true. Perhaps someone can show a scientific study that shows that link.

Either way, insulin resistance is the step before pre-diabetes and diabetes. The only solutions are exercise (which increases insulin sensitivity more than metformin), and a low-carb diet. Metformin is a medication that increases the body's sensitivity to insulin, but it isn't as effective as exercise; it is often given to diabetics and individuals with PCOS.

Last edited by Seeking; 02-25-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
that's what metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance IS, barrycudda. extreme sensitivity to carbs. most of us have them. and not only do they do what you say, they also act like an addictive drug in that when we go off plan and binge on carbs, it can set up a cycle of craving and binging that goes for MONTHS. *sigh*

welcome to low carbing and I hope it works out well for you! *hug*

Yes, I think many people on this forum are insulin-resistant (i.e., sensitive to carbs). Actually if you can eat up to 50 g of carbs a day and lose weight I would say you are not *extremely* sensitive to carbs. My DH cannot eat more than 20-25 g/day or he does not lose weight. I seem to be around 25-30 g/day myself.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NoraL
Carbs make me ill....need to GAIN weight, but not successful at it.

Carbs and sugar of any kind cause severe gastritis, and also hemorrhoid and inner tummy inflammation big time for me..I am down from 133 lbs to now at 105 in the last 18 months. I am small framed and only 5 ft tall, so not underweight yet, but I am becoming increasingly concerned about this. This morning I was 103 on the scale, but tonight I am at 105. I cannot eat nuts(diverticulitis) or dairy, nor nightshade vegetables.. Any suggestions? I use Glucerna, although I am not diabetic, but I need the vitamins and calories the Glucerna gives me. I eat tons of bananas, and also I can get by with fried plantains as long as I don't go overboard with them. I do fish, chicken, black olives, eggs, almond milk, coconut milk.. I have a small fortune paid out to my local health food store just trying to maintain so I can function at work. Last time I had beef, two months ago, I had to turn around and go home on my drive in to work. Severe gastritis... Need some input please!!
NoraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TeenyAnnie
I'm not a regular poster here, so I feel a bit cheeky answering.. However, you haven't received an answer in several days, so I shall.

Can I suggest that you increase your oil/fat intake to up your calories. Olive oil and coconut oil are great places to start, and they can be added to other foods quite readily.. However, there are other oils you can try too, and given that you seem to be experiencing intolerance issues, it might be good to rotate them.

I love vegetables, and if I were you, I'd start to experiment to find out which vegetables I could happily eat, and prepare them with extra oils or fats. The same with fruits.. If you can eat bananas, then the chances are high that you might tolerate other fruits. Avocados are rich in natural oil, and you can use them as a basis for salads, dips and more. I had a gorgeous salad at the weekend, based on mango, lettuce, strawberry and mint..

A lot of people who cannot tolerate dairy can tolerate butter, because it doesn't have the lactose, which tends to be the problem for most people. Similarly, many people find that fermenting foods reduces the problems they experience with them, because the sugars are fermented out, and they are easier to digest.. so it is worth trying fermented versions of foods.. such as a little yoghurt mixed in water as a drink, to see if you can tolerate that.

You haven't mentioned if you can eat seeds. Flax seed, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, sesame seed and others can all be enjoyed in salads and other foods. You can make breads and bakes from ground down seeds, and they make a lovely crumbly topping for fruit when mixed with with coconut oil.

Another thing you could consider is beans and pulses.. Butter beans are very good when added to salads.. and there is a huge variety of beans which can be added to stews, or used as a basis for baked goods. I have even seen recipes for cakes made from a bean base. There's a lovely looking bread recipe which uses peanuts as it's base. Peanuts are legumes, not nuts, and you might find that you are more able to eat them.

It's worth testing yourself out with a few other types of nuts, such as brazil nuts, pistachio nuts and others. Start with a very small quantity, 2-3 times a week, and gradually increase the amount if you don't experience any problems.

Another issue is that you might well experience gastritis when trying foods you haven't eaten for a while, because your stomach hasn't started to produce the enzymes necessary to digest the food. The way to get around that is to eat minute quantities of the food, regularly, to see if your tolerance improves. I don't digest beef terribly well.. It's quite heavy on my stomach. Try organ meats - they can be delicious if cooked imaginatively.. and fish, particularly oily fish, which will give you more calories than white.

With regard to your food intolerances.. It is fair enough if you personally have noted that you cannot eat certain foods, but some of the food intolerance tests are not that reliable, so don't set too much store by them.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraL View Post
Carbs and sugar of any kind cause severe gastritis, and also hemorrhoid and inner tummy inflammation big time for me..I am down from 133 lbs to now at 105 in the last 18 months. I am small framed and only 5 ft tall, so not underweight yet, but I am becoming increasingly concerned about this. This morning I was 103 on the scale, but tonight I am at 105. I cannot eat nuts(diverticulitis) or dairy, nor nightshade vegetables.. Any suggestions? I use Glucerna, although I am not diabetic, but I need the vitamins and calories the Glucerna gives me. I eat tons of bananas, and also I can get by with fried plantains as long as I don't go overboard with them. I do fish, chicken, black olives, eggs, almond milk, coconut milk.. I have a small fortune paid out to my local health food store just trying to maintain so I can function at work. Last time I had beef, two months ago, I had to turn around and go home on my drive in to work. Severe gastritis... Need some input please!!
TeenyAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TeenyAnnie
Quote:

I'm not a regular poster here, so I feel a bit cheeky answering.. However, you haven't received an answer in several days, so I shall.

You could take a look at Dr. Atkins diet lists to give yourself ideas about new foods to try. There are all kinds of seafood and meats listed there. Shellfish, oily fish, organ meats, etc. The world is literally your oyster, lol.

You might well experience gastritis when trying foods you haven't eaten for a while, because your stomach hasn't started to produce the enzymes necessary to digest the food. The way to get around that is to eat minute quantities of the food, regularly, to see if your tolerance improves. I don't digest beef terribly well.. It's quite heavy on my stomach. Try organ meats - they can be delicious if cooked imaginatively.. and fish, particularly oily fish, which will give you more calories than white.

Can I suggest that you increase your oil/fat intake to up your calories. Olive oil and coconut oil are great places to start, and they can be added to other foods quite readily.. However, there are other oils you can try too, and given that you seem to be experiencing intolerance issues, it might be good to rotate them.

I love vegetables, and if I were you, I'd start to experiment to find out which vegetables I could happily eat, and prepare them with extra oils or fats. The same with fruits.. If you can eat bananas, then the chances are high that you might tolerate other fruits. Avocados are rich in natural oil, and you can use them as a basis for salads, dips and more. Mangos are lovely too. I had a gorgeous salad at the weekend, based on mango, lettuce, strawberry and mint..

A lot of people who cannot tolerate dairy can tolerate butter, because it doesn't have the lactose, which tends to be the problem for most people. Similarly, many people find that fermenting foods reduces the problems they experience with them, because the sugars are fermented out, and they are easier to digest.. so it is worth trying fermented versions of foods.. such as a little yoghurt mixed in water as a drink, to see if you can tolerate that.

You haven't mentioned if you can eat seeds. Flax seed, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, sesame seed and others can all be enjoyed in salads and other foods. You can make breads and bakes from ground down seeds, and they make a lovely crumbly topping for fruit when mixed with with coconut oil.

Another thing you could consider is beans/legumes etc.. Hummus is very easy to make from simple ingredients. Butter beans are very good when added to salads.. and there is a huge variety of beans which can be added to stews, or used as a basis for baked goods. I have even seen recipes for cakes made from a bean base. There's a lovely looking bread recipe which uses peanuts as it's base.

It's worth testing yourself out with a few other types of nuts, such as brazil nuts, pistachio nuts and others. Start with a very small quantity, 2-3 times a week, and gradually increase the amount if you don't experience any problems.

With regard to your food intolerances.. It is fair enough if you personally have noted that you cannot eat certain foods, but some of the food intolerance tests are not that reliable, so don't set too much store by them.

Best of luck.

Last edited by TeenyAnnie; 03-26-2013 at 08:50 AM..
TeenyAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Barrycudda, there are a few good books that will explain all about your metabolism/insulin resistance. Dr. Bernsteins, Diabetes Solution, Jenny Ruhl's, Blood Sugar 101, and Diane Kress's, The Diabetes Miracle.

Of the 3, I think I'd start with The Diabetes Miracle, but all are good and have been a huge help in my understanding of how our metabolism works. Good luck to you, hope these help you also!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
NoraL, Have you tried taking a probiotic? I used to get terrible intestinal distress all the time after I ate certain foods until I started taking a probiotic. It didn't help with everything (thank goodness for Miralax), but it has helped tremendously with the gas and pain.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote