Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Trigger finger

It seems my locking finger is trigger finger I think it started after I fell. I didn't connect the two at first but there seems to be no other cause. I've been having my arm adjusted by the chiro (who knew they coul do that!) and googling. Looks like I may try a finger brace. Fortunately it's my left hand and I am right handed. Anyone have experience with it? One lady I knew had surgery and I really don't want to do that!
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I've had problems with trigger finger twice.

The first time, two fingers were locking on my left hand. My hand surgeon gave me a cortisone shot, it eliminated the problem, and it never recurred.

However, last year, I began having a problem with the index finger on my right hand. It was very painful, and although it only locked a couple of times, the surgeon said it was another trigger finger. This time the cortisone shot did nothing, and he told me that I had to decide if and when I was ready for surgery--i.e., when the pain was too much to deal with. The problem was that because it was my index finger, I really couldn't grasp anything with my right hand and was gradually losing the use of the hand--and enduring constant pain.

After a couple of months, I decided to have the surgery--and at first regretted it because the finger seemed 'sore' for a long time. Then one day, I realized that my hand was 'perfect'--no pain and full strength restored. Sometimes the trigger finger will resolve on its own, but I gave this finger enough time to know that surgery was my only solution.

However, the surgery (and incapacity during recovery) is something I would never rush in to. I would use every possible non-surgical recommendation before opting for surgery.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Thanks for your response! I'll keep trying everything
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
My husband has this, he gets shots about once a year, he just got them again Tuesday. His mom had it, but she had the surgery... Not sure what causes it, I figured it was hereditary since his mom had it... He also had carpel tunnel surgery in both hands, and so did his mom.
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote