Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Homemade chicken broth is my cure for constipation (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/797427-homemade-chicken-broth-my-cure-constipation.html)

Rochester 02-18-2013 09:26 PM

Homemade chicken broth is my cure for constipation

In my first attempt at low carb (a couple years back - and very successful BTW!) I fretted quite a bit about never going to the bathroom. I could have got an "Out of Order" tramp-stamp. But I'm a dude, and it would be hairy.. I DIGRESS!!

The simple answer to all BM issues is Chicken Broth! I've only been back on LC for a month (-35 lbs to date), but I've had more consistent bowel action than I did the whole year I was on LC back in the long ago. And I know it is because of Chicken Broth. I tried Magnesium and Mirilax and XXX-strength Colon cleanse. Chicken Broth is the real deal.

When I heard people say "Chicken Broth" was a remedy for constipation, I thought of buying the canned stuff, or needing to be Bobby Flay or Paula Deen to make it myself. I could not have been more wrong!! IT IS SO EASY! And this is coming from a guy who regularly taps on the microwave glass saying, "Cook faster, cook faster!".

Rotisserie chicken is a staple of my LC WOE. In the past, I have carved off all the meat that I could - and then thrown out the carcass. I didn't know I was throwing away 1/2 the value of the chicken!

Do this:

Find a large pot.
Put the carcass in the pot.
Add enough water to reach the top of the carcass.
Add some pepper and salt to taste.
Put the pot on the stove on Low for 2-3 hours.

Allow the magic to happen :sing::birthday::yummy:

You will know that the Karma is brewing when the house begins to smell of wonderfulness.

After the 2-3 hours ladle yourself a mug from the pot and set it to the side to cool while you Tupperware the rest. The cooling thing just may save a 1st degree burn on the roof of your mouth. Then sit and enjoy the rich broth and wonder why you never made it before. Maybe have another for good measure.

In 12 hours or so - start clearing a path to the bathroom. Just warning you. It may not be pretty - but it WILL be satisfying.

Nearly every night I have been heating up a mug or two for a snack. It is very satisfying. I can't recommend it enough.

Rochester out!

marieze 02-18-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 16266814)
In my first attempt at low carb (a couple years back - and very successful BTW!) I fretted quite a bit about never going to the bathroom. I could have got an "Out of Order" tramp-stamp. But I'm a dude, and it would be hairy.. I DIGRESS!!

The simple answer to all BM issues is Chicken Broth! Chicken Broth will grease the skids like no other! I've only been back on LC for a month (-35 lbs to date), but I've had more consistent bowel action than I did the whole year I was on LC back in the long ago. And I know it is because of Chicken Broth. I tried Magnesium and Mirilax and XXX-strength Colon Blow. Chicken Broth is the real deal.

When I heard people say "Chicken Broth" was a remedy for constipation, I thought of buying the canned stuff, or needing to be Bobby Flay or Paula Deen to make it myself. I could not have been more wrong!! IT IS SO EASY! And this is coming from a guy who regularly taps on the microwave glass saying, "Cook faster, cook faster!".

Rotisserie chicken is a staple of my LC WOE. In the past, I have carved off all the meat that I could - and then thrown out the carcass. I didn't know I was throwing away 1/2 the value of the chicken!

Do this:

Find a large pot.
Put the carcass in the pot.
Add enough water to reach the top of the carcass.
Add some pepper and salt to taste.
Put the pot on the stove on Low for 2-3 hours.

Allow the magic to happen :sing::birthday::yummy:

You will know that the Karma is brewing when the house begins to smell of wonderfulness.

After the 2-3 hours ladle yourself a mug from the pot and set it to the side to cool while you Tupperware the rest. The cooling thing just may save a 1st degree burn on the roof of your mouth. Then sit and enjoy the rich broth and wonder why you never made it before. Maybe have another for good measure.

In 12 hours or so - start clearing a path to the bathroom. You may want to order a Bidet from Amazon.com ahead of time. Just warning you. It may not be pretty - but it WILL be satisfying.

Nearly every night I have been heating up a mug or two for a snack. It is very satisfying. I can't recommend it enough.

Rochester out!

Rochester, making your own chicken and then making the broth is even better if you can imagine! Do you think you would ever do that?

Btw, still laughing about the bidet...:rofl:

Girlieschmoo 02-18-2013 09:47 PM

Just started upping fats, lowering carbs even more so this couldn't be more...ahem...timely:laugh:

Rochester 02-18-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16266825)
Rochester, making your own chicken and then making the broth is even better if you can imagine! Do you think you would ever do that?

Btw, still laughing about the bidet...:rofl:

My wife is a wiz at crockpotting chicken, but I would love to find out what you have going on!!

Heheher 02-18-2013 10:22 PM

Lol! You, sir, have a wonderful way with words.

Mobear 02-19-2013 01:10 AM

Thanks for the tip Rochester. It is nice to see you back :).

Heheher it's nice to see you too!

Mimosa23 02-19-2013 03:43 AM

Thanks for the tip! And you made me LOL!

I think chicken broth is a cure all... really! Also great if you feel run down, or aren't sleeping well, or have muscle cramps...

Nice to see you here again!

coffeelover 02-19-2013 04:33 AM

Nice that your back Rochester - so am I! :)

I'm going to give this a try. I've recently started having issues.

snowmop 02-19-2013 05:05 AM

Rochester!!! Glad you're back!!

Flutter 02-20-2013 05:26 AM

I buy rotisserie chicken all the time. I may have to do this today! Thanks for the tip, congrats to you, and the other posters are right: you have a great way with words!

avid 02-20-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16269190)
I buy rotisserie chicken all the time. I may have to do this today! Thanks for the tip, congrats to you, and the other posters are right: you have a great way with words!

Ditto for me.
I buy one of these a week.
I always knew I was wasting valuable fat and animal blessings in the form of essential nutrients, but didn't really know what to do about it.
Thanks for the tip.
will do.

Key Tones 02-20-2013 09:44 AM

Good to see you, Rochester!

I pop the carcass into the crockpot. Stewing a long time allows you to get more calcium out of the bones.

Seeking 02-20-2013 02:37 PM

Wow. Now that I've read this, it just seems so obvious to me that that's how you make the broth. Oh and it looks like the chicken broths at the store also have onion powder. Thanks for posting.

Mimosa23 02-20-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Key Tones (Post 16269859)
Good to see you, Rochester!

I pop the carcass into the crockpot. Stewing a long time allows you to get more calcium out of the bones.

Adding NO salt, but a TB or two of ACV when you start making the broth will also get all the minerals out of the bones, like calcium and magnesium. (the magnesium may help you 'go' as well...) Only after the broth is done, add salt to taste.

I usually keep my broth frozen per portion, and then I defrost and heat when I want a cup of broth. Once heated up, I add a good pinch of unrefined, unbleached atlantic sea salt (again, lots of minerals) and some nice Kerrygold butter. Best thing ever!

Leo41 02-26-2013 01:27 PM

I'm glad this works for you, but I make my own broth and have it almost daily--and it does nothing to help me 'go.' I think different things work for different people. I'm still looking for something that will work for me.

drjlocarb 03-02-2013 05:35 PM

Rochester!!!!!!! :jumpjoy: I MISSED YOU! :hugs:

I thought Mr Peanut killed you!

sillyme 03-02-2013 09:11 PM

I missed you too with your funny and inspirational posts. Great to have you back!

Butternut 03-03-2013 12:25 AM

It's working great for my 90 yr old father!! Thanks!