Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Egg yolks and dark chocolate/cholesterol and Glucose (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/797419-egg-yolks-dark-chocolate-cholesterol-glucose.html)

oceanlover66 02-18-2013 06:35 PM

Egg yolks and dark chocolate/cholesterol and Glucose

I have elevated trigs. 197. I have cut carbs, and cut out all sugar from my coffee, and do not eat any more junk food. I was putting 3TBSP of sugar in my coffee, drink sweet tea all day, and loved my Resses PB cups. Now I only allow myself low carb whoe wheat bread for lunch, and very low carb for dinners. Probably taking in less then 30g carb a day. Questions. What is the deal with egg yolks? Do they or do they NOT effect cholesterol. And if they do, which part? And what should your limit be? I eat maybe two eggs every other week. And what is the deal with dark chocolate. 85% cacao and higher. Okay for a low carb diet? My FBS has been elevated, but A1c is fine. I am exercising and although I am 5'3 and weighed 144. I am down to 138. I have a belly. My goal is to get to 130. I am new here and looking forward to getting as much info as I can. My trigs really surprised me as last year they were 142. I started on a new drug. Amitryptiline. But only 30mg a day. Everyone says that should not have raised my trigs. I have always been a sweet eater.

Last year my cholesterol was:

Jan 2012

Total: 191
Trigs: 142
LDL:123
HDL:40

Jan 2013

Total: 210
Trigs: 197
LDL: 124
HDL: 47

Thanks for the help!

Ginaaaaaa 02-19-2013 02:14 PM

See the problem here is that your cholesterol is suppose to be high not low. They originally thought that high cholesterol was the cause of heart disease, diabetes and stroke but the cause of all those and a lot of other health issues are caused by eating a high carb low fat diet. When people started eating low fat and high carb sugar filled processed foods there was a surge of high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes and a whole slew of health problems, instead of blaming it on the high carb, sugar processed foods they blamed it on healthy fats.

Your body makes and uses cholesterol to protect your heart, cells and organs. Cholesterol isn't your enemy, carbs and sugar are.

The big food companies wanted to sell their high carb low fat processed foods so they started touting low fat was good for you and margarine was healthier than butter. Margarine is highly processed and made wit lots of chemicals. Butter is not processed and is much healthier than margarine but the big food companies wouldn't make much money selling their junk food if they told the truth. Carbs and sugar cause your body to store fats instead of burning fats you burn carbs and sugar.

Taking statins to lower cholesterol is not a good thing because the statins prevent your body from making cholesterol like it should and take over the job. Once your body stops making cholesterol on its own its very hard and next to impossible to ever get off the statins.

You keep eating low carb, low sugar and eating healthy fats, meats, vegetables and if your doctor is telling you that your cholesterol is too high you tell him/her to go do some research on cholesterol and how your body needs it for good health.

I was ignorant about my health 15 years ago when my doctor diagnosed me with high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes and I allowed him to prescribe statins and diabetes medication, now my body will never make cholesterol or insulin on its own because the medication stopped it.

If I had said no to the meds and started eating low carb, low sugar and eating healthy fats, meats, and vegetables I wouldn't be taking any meds and I would be healthy.

When I complain to my doctor about having to take meds even though I eat healthy she says "just don't think about it, just do it because I have to." She doesn't say, that I can't stop taking the meds because my body no longer does its job because the meds prevents it from doing what it's suppose to do.

The food, medical, healthcare and pharmaceutical industry are making trillions of dollars off our bad health.

Don't just trust you're doctor, do your own research for you're health.

Seeking 02-20-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16268122)
See the problem here is that your cholesterol is suppose to be high not low.

I don't know if that is right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16268122)
Your body makes and uses cholesterol to protect your heart, cells and organs. Cholesterol isn't your enemy, carbs and sugar are.

I was recently reading up on cholesterol and found that cholesterol is the repair man that comes to fix broken areas on blood vessel walls. I don't yet entirely understand how the condition of atherosclerosis happens, but it would seem that when LDL cholesterol numbers are high, this is indicative of excess inflammation and breakage of the blood vessels' walls and that lots of repairs are going on. So although there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" cholesterol, higher numbers can indicate an underlying problem.

I seem to recall having read that high insulin, high blood pressure, and I think high blood glucose levels are known to cause breakage in arterial walls.

So much information out there on the internet actually says lies such as "LDL cholesterol causes inflammation of the arterial walls." This is a blatant lie. But it's hard to find accurate information because most websites will just say, "A buildup of LDL cholesterol can cause a heart attack" and that's as far as they go with it.

Ronnie51 02-20-2013 06:47 PM

A lot depends on the type of LDL particles you have, the small dense type are the dangerous ones that can lead to clogged arteries; the large fluffy type are not dangerous. They now have a comprehensive cholesterol test called NMR which identifies which type you have.

avid 02-21-2013 06:41 AM

I'm going to avoid the debate of how high our cholesterol should be for optimum health. The debate is ongoing in the research circles and I follow it with great interest.
I can tell you that "ratios" of the separate factors to each other and to the total seem to be emerging as the significant numbers.
More to the point of your initial inquiry....
I went lc within days of a lipid profile that i take every 3 months because of statin use.
I just got tired of having to take the drugs and my research convinced me that a lc woe would be more helpful than the drugs i was taking (lipitor and tricor)
So..... without consulting my doctor (not recommended) I stopped the tricor and went lc...3 months later I take another blood test....Voila!
ALL of my values improve (by current medical standards)
My total cholesterol went down.
My LDL went down.
My hdl went up
my triglycerides went WAY down
my ratios improved.
I eat ALOT of eggs, meat, dairy
so all that stuff about "avoid eggs meat and dairy for better cholesterol" is wrong.
IT's the carbs.
So now i'm well into phase two of my experiment.
I have continued to not take the tricor, but cut my 40 mg lipitor pill in half, so I'm taking half the prescribed dosage (still haven't consulted doc)
I"m scheduled for my next lipid profile in March and will report the results here ...as I did last time.
This is very exciting for me. I actually improved my lipid profile by eliminating a medication using diet and exercise.
to be continued...

Ginaaaaaa 02-21-2013 12:10 PM

It really is unsafe to stop taking medication like statins. Good for you for improving your health by eating low carb. I had the same results when I started eating low carb but my doctor would rather believe it was the meds that were working not my low carb diet. So here I am years later still on meds and now my body no longer makes its own cholesterol because the meds have been doing it for so long.

It is true that eating fats are not what make us fat. Your body can burn fats and it can burn carbs and sugar. So what happens when we eat carbs and sugar? Our bodies will burn carbs and sugar and store fat. So, if we don't eat carbs and sugar our bodies will burn fat instead of storing it, so eating carbs and sugar make us fat.

That's why I say carbs and sugar make us fat because when we eat them our bodies store fat. When we eat low carb our bodies go into fat burning mode.

So, to answer your question about chocolate and eggs, foods that have cholesterol are not bad for you unless they also have carbs and sugar. Remember when you eat carbs and sugar your body will store fat, that's what causes you to be fat. Chocolate, unless it has a very high cocoa content, like 85-95 is full of sugar, remember what I said about carbs and sugar. If you eat chocolate with a high cocoa content it has a low sugar content also so its good for you, in moderation of course.

Eggs have cholesterol in them but no carbs or sugar so eating eggs will not make your cholesterol go up unless you eat them with a high carb food like toast made with high carb bread, pancakes or some other high carb food. By the way, eggs are not high in fat anyways.

Once you get it out of your mind that eating fats don't make you fat, that eating carbs and sugar make you fat, you will begin to make better food choices.

I don't know what our cholesterol numbers are suppose to be, I know that instead of looking at the numbers individually, they should be looking at what numbers are all together.

I would like to make an example of how carbs and sugar makes us store fat.

Say I ate a breakfast that included eggs, bacon and a donut. Here we have protein from the eggs, fat from the bacon and carbs, sugar and fat from the donut.

My body would burn the carbs and sugar from the donut, then it would store the fat from the bacon and the donut. So what made me fat? Eating the carbs and sugar.

Now lets say I ate a breakfast of eggs, bacon and a very low carb piece of toast. My body would burn the few carbs from the toast, then it would burn the fat from the bacon.

Lets say I ate a piece of chocolate with 35% cocoa, and some unsweetened whipped cream on top. chocolate would have a high sugar content, and the whipped cream would have a high fat content. My body would burn off the carbs and sugar from the chocolate and store the fat from the whipped cream.

Now lets say I ate some unsweetened strawberries and unsweetened whipped cream. Unsweetened strawberries are low in sugar and carbs, and the whipped cream is high in fat. Since there's just a few carbs from the strawberries, my body would burn off the fat from the whipped cream.

Now, I'm not saying that you should eat very low carb and eat all the fatty foods you want. Of course eating healthy fats are better for you.

Healthy fats are unrefined cold pressed coconut oil, olive oil and butter from grass fed pastured cows.

Unhealthy fats, are refined corn, soybean and canola oils.

Mrs.Hyder 02-21-2013 04:32 PM

Im enjoying 70% dark chocolate with salted almonds right now:notwrthy:... Oh mah goodness it's the bomdotcom... I have a small square of dark chocolate everyday and it doesn't seem to have effected my weightloss this time or any other time i've done LC. I'm only 2 weeks in right now and so far lost 8lbs but I've done LC before and lost up to 30lbs in 2 months while having a bit of Dark Chocolate most days so I think it's just fine in moderation.