Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Years of my life lost to carbs...

Hi guys, I just woke up from a 2-hour nap that I believe was caused by a relapse I had in my diet. I believe that many of you on this forum can relate to this. I have had fatigue for nearly 10 years of my life now, and I never knew it was due to carbs until a few months ago when I began to fear I had diabetes and began posting on a diabetes forum and they told me to experiment with low carb eating. Well it turns out that I don't have diabetes but I am insulin resistant.

How do I know that my fatigue is (at least partially) caused by carbs? Because during the days that I eat very few carbs, my total mental function increases (memory, cognition, energy level, alertness), but when I eat like this, it incapacitates me:

Yesterday I ate 1 slice of conventional pizza, an apple, and 2 almond-flour pancakes and some 53% dark cocoa chocolate chips. The day before that, I had half a potato, 2 dinner rolls, 2 pieces of breaded chicken, and 53% dark cocoa chocolate chips.

My memory has been absolutely terrible these past 2 days. And I've been just dragging, so tired. Functioning at half of my normal capacity. I feel better after my 2 hour nap, but this is really sad. I now have confirmed beyond a doubt that my fatigue is being caused either solely or partially by carbs and that I have lost nearly 10 years of my life to this.

Poor memory, lower cognition, chronic fatigue, low energy for nearly 10 years...and I didn't know.

I didn't know...
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
I know what you are talking about. I had a really bad bout with lyme disease and the dr. put me on low carb she said anyone with an autoimmune disease should be on low carb. I hurt and ache so bad on high carb. Susan
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Don't beat yourself up! It's great that you've realized eating low carb is optimal for you. I know the feelings of being tired and the brain fog, and now, not. I have 15 years on you and have known for a while I really should be eating LC but it took my husband being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for it to click. Just keep at it and you'll do great.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Once we feel the benefits of lc it's easy to 'lament' not having found this woe sooner.
But there were many many MANY things in my past that I would change if i could.
I find solace in the absolute belief that "I wouldn't be where I'm at today if I hadn't done all the things that brought me here" and when I remind myself of this truth, I become content knowing that life is a journey and I am still on the path.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbine
Stats: 6'7, 360 down to 280 so far.
WOE: Count Nothing | Low Carb | Cheat Often
I wish someone would have told me about low carb sooner, but I regret nothing. Everything in life led up to this moment. Everything made me exactly who I am. I am the best me that I can be. I came about this state of mind by forcing myself to believe it. Now it's a habit. I naturally overcame depression and negativity. You can too. Just believe in yourself. Cliche is often true.
LowCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I originally posted this under the Atkins thread but it fits here too so copied and pasted here as well....

I too have adrenal fatigue (stage III, very low cortisol production) diagnosed by saliva testing at Dr's office. Low energy, sluggish, 2 hr naps each day, mental fogginess, etc...

Also last Dr's visit in Dec. 2012 had an A1c number of 6.1%. Pre-diabetes, insulin resistant.

Also cholesterol levels slightly elevated as well as homocysteine levels.

I think it goes hand in hand with the adrenal fatigue issue. Anyway, there is a good book on the subject written by a Dr. Wilson, called "Adrenal Fatigue" that is full of info. I highly recommend reading it. The crux of it is low sugar, low carb, no caffeine, lots of supplements.

So I have been low carbing since Dec. and will be re-checked in April to see if there has been any improvements by just diet alone.

Good luck, hope this helps some!

Karen
haferchamp is online now   Reply With Quote