Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Years of my life lost to carbs... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/797411-years-my-life-lost-carbs.html)

Seeking 02-18-2013 01:59 PM

Years of my life lost to carbs...

Hi guys, I just woke up from a 2-hour nap that I believe was caused by a relapse I had in my diet. I believe that many of you on this forum can relate to this. I have had fatigue for nearly 10 years of my life now, and I never knew it was due to carbs until a few months ago when I began to fear I had diabetes and began posting on a diabetes forum and they told me to experiment with low carb eating. Well it turns out that I don't have diabetes but I am insulin resistant.

How do I know that my fatigue is (at least partially) caused by carbs? Because during the days that I eat very few carbs, my total mental function increases (memory, cognition, energy level, alertness), but when I eat like this, it incapacitates me:

Yesterday I ate 1 slice of conventional pizza, an apple, and 2 almond-flour pancakes and some 53% dark cocoa chocolate chips. The day before that, I had half a potato, 2 dinner rolls, 2 pieces of breaded chicken, and 53% dark cocoa chocolate chips.

My memory has been absolutely terrible these past 2 days. And I've been just dragging, so tired. Functioning at half of my normal capacity. I feel better after my 2 hour nap, but this is really sad. I now have confirmed beyond a doubt that my fatigue is being caused either solely or partially by carbs and that I have lost nearly 10 years of my life to this.

Poor memory, lower cognition, chronic fatigue, low energy for nearly 10 years...and I didn't know.

I didn't know...

Corvettebuff 02-18-2013 02:46 PM

I know what you are talking about. I had a really bad bout with lyme disease and the dr. put me on low carb she said anyone with an autoimmune disease should be on low carb. I hurt and ache so bad on high carb. Susan

Mistizoom 02-19-2013 06:20 PM

Don't beat yourself up! It's great that you've realized eating low carb is optimal for you. I know the feelings of being tired and the brain fog, and now, not. I have 15 years on you and have known for a while I really should be eating LC but it took my husband being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for it to click. Just keep at it and you'll do great.

avid 02-20-2013 08:52 AM

Once we feel the benefits of lc it's easy to 'lament' not having found this woe sooner.
But there were many many MANY things in my past that I would change if i could.
I find solace in the absolute belief that "I wouldn't be where I'm at today if I hadn't done all the things that brought me here" and when I remind myself of this truth, I become content knowing that life is a journey and I am still on the path.

LowCarbine 02-20-2013 08:59 AM

I wish someone would have told me about low carb sooner, but I regret nothing. Everything in life led up to this moment. Everything made me exactly who I am. I am the best me that I can be. I came about this state of mind by forcing myself to believe it. Now it's a habit. I naturally overcame depression and negativity. You can too. Just believe in yourself. Cliche is often true.

haferchamp 03-04-2013 07:16 AM

I originally posted this under the Atkins thread but it fits here too so copied and pasted here as well....

I too have adrenal fatigue (stage III, very low cortisol production) diagnosed by saliva testing at Dr's office. Low energy, sluggish, 2 hr naps each day, mental fogginess, etc...

Also last Dr's visit in Dec. 2012 had an A1c number of 6.1%. Pre-diabetes, insulin resistant.

Also cholesterol levels slightly elevated as well as homocysteine levels.

I think it goes hand in hand with the adrenal fatigue issue. Anyway, there is a good book on the subject written by a Dr. Wilson, called "Adrenal Fatigue" that is full of info. I highly recommend reading it. The crux of it is low sugar, low carb, no caffeine, lots of supplements.

So I have been low carbing since Dec. and will be re-checked in April to see if there has been any improvements by just diet alone.

Good luck, hope this helps some!

Karen