Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Weird lipid profile results!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/797263-weird-lipid-profile-results.html)

SharonB61 02-16-2013 06:20 AM

Weird lipid profile results!!

After almost a year on a keto diet, I went to get my lipids checked and am somewhat shocked at the results.

Before:

Total Cholesterol 211
HDL 79
Triglycerides 62
LDL 117

After:

Total Cholesterol 300
HDL 97
Triglycerides 52
LDL 176

As is apparent here, my total cholesterol shot up dramatically. My Dr was very concerned and had me take an NMR profile, and the results of that were interesting to say the least. My LDL number was made of up predominately large "fluffy" cholesterol particles.

Is this normal with a low carb WOE? From my understanding most people report a drop in cholesterol levels. Now I'm concerned that perhaps all the fat I'm eating is having an effect. I'm really confused as this is not what I expected.

Anyone have any insight?!?!

ravenrose 02-16-2013 08:25 AM

well, hmmm. it's not unusual for LDL to stay high on a low carb diet. your total of 300 is higher than I have seen mine go, but as I understand it it's largely a matter of ratios as to how dangerous it is. your HDL and triglycerides rock, you know that!

try figuring these: Cholesterol - a Primer - Low Carb Friends

Ronnie51 02-16-2013 12:26 PM

I do know that 20% of the population have a genetic variant where they digest fats differently than the rest of the population (I found out that I have that variant when my doctor tested me without my knowledge....which is another story). So, where certain fats are heart healthy for most people, they're not for this group. There is a chance you fall into that category. This group tends to have a family history of heart disease and/or high cholesterol.

Jigsaw 03-08-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks for the link to the cholesterol primer, that is spectacular! I calculated my numbers and my ratios are all getting better!

Sharon, your numbers are here:
then
Total/HDL: 211/79 or 2.67 (ideal = 5 or below)
Trig/HDL: 62/79 or .78 (ideal = 2 or below)
LDL/HDL: 117/79 or 1.48 (ideal = 4.3 or below)
now
Total/HDL: 300/97 or 3.09 (ideal = 5 or below)
Trig/HDL: 52/97 or .53 (ideal = 2 or below)
LDL/HDL: 176/97 or 1.81 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

It looks like your numbers are still fantastic, (please check my math) but according to the article, you are looking great!

Jigsaw 03-08-2013 07:13 PM

oops, on another thread this was posted
Quote:

I agree, the primer linked above is great! Be aware that if your triglycerides are under 100, then the formula they use to calculate it goes wonky, and overstates the number.
Hmmm, have to go read the article again! Still, i'm no expert, but your numbers, especially the low trigs and high HDL look good to me!

Ntombi 03-09-2013 04:12 PM

Also, it depends on what type of LDL you have. A good ketogenic diet tends to increase the fluffy (good) LDL and decrease the bad LDL, so even within those numbers, your news is good, and what should be happening to most of us.

Remember, back when all we knew was the total number, high=bad. Now, it's not so cut and dried. Your numbers are higher, yes, but your triglycerides (bad) are lower, and your HDL (good) and your fluffy LDL (good) are higher. That's VERY good.

cfine 03-09-2013 07:02 PM

It looks like you are doing great.

Leo41 03-10-2013 07:58 AM

Sharon-
Are you using coconut oil? I ask because several years ago when I tried using CO as my major fat source (instead of butter or EVOO), my LDL went up 40 points. My doctor asked what dietary changes I'd made, and the CO was the only one. He advised me to stop using it. Four months later, my LDL was back down 40 points, so it was the CO.

People may have different reactions to it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this. I'm hypothyroid, so I have my blood tested every 4 months, and that's the only way I caught this right away.

Ntombi 03-10-2013 09:07 AM

Which type of LDL went up, do you know? I thought it increases the good fluffy LDL, not the bad kind.

DiamondDeb 03-10-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16307142)
Which type of LDL went up, do you know? I thought it increases the good fluffy LDL, not the bad kind.

This was my thought, too. Coconut oil increases the LDL that we want. Cutting it might decrease the basic LDL number but a VAP would most likely show that the good LDL was lowered by cutting it and that is not a good thing.

So many doctors have no clue about cholesterol.

Leo41 03-10-2013 12:47 PM

I have the 'good' LDL, but my cardiologist told me that NO LDL is actually 'good.' That is, high LDL is to be avoided, regardless of the type. It's 'good' only when it's within the lab ranges.

My endo (who ran the VAP test) also told me that any food that affects the LDL that dramatically should be avoided. I'm not saying that other people react the same way, but I avoid CO on the advice of 2 MDs. Moreover, I do just fine without it, as my labs have been superb. My last HDL was 110, and my LDL is within range.

Kateee 03-12-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16307008)
Sharon-
Are you using coconut oil? I ask because several years ago when I tried using CO as my major fat source (instead of butter or EVOO), my LDL went up 40 points. My doctor asked what dietary changes I'd made, and the CO was the only one. He advised me to stop using it. Four months later, my LDL was back down 40 points, so it was the CO.

People may have different reactions to it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this. I'm hypothyroid, so I have my blood tested every 4 months, and that's the only way I caught this right away.

I quit using CO, and my Total Cholesterol went from 270 to 181 in four months.
And my LDL went from 183 to 114.
I also increased my fiber intake in that time.