Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cobra2411
Stats: 323/246/223
WOE: 75lbs lost on Atkins now JUDDD
Start Date: May 2011
Blood pressure and stress...

Ok, not sure where to sure where to post this but since people with high BP look for dietary ways to deal with their BP I figured I'd post it here.

I first addressed my high BP with diet and losing 75-80lbs or so has gotten me from over 200 down to 145ish/90ish with no meds. Pretty good...

Well I've been dealing with a very bad relationship with my mother and the details aren't important but when I went to an energy healer she noted a band of stress around my chest/mid section and after some talking it was suggested I do something about my issues. The energy healer is also a counselor and is good at digging those kind of buried nuggets out... Also, it wasn't a one day process, but that's not important...

I never would have said I was stressed or holding back emotions; I'm a very happy-go-lucky kind of person. Well as I began the process of dealing with my mother (basically removing her from my life) I had an unbelievable release of pent up emotions that I had ZERO idea were there. Afterward I felt as if I was used as a punching bag. It was that soreness you get after a good workout. It was all in that band area the energy healer said was tied up in knots.

The best part - no meds and my BP has been rock solid around 110/70.

Never in a million years would I have said I was under enough stress to warrant any kind of major health issues. I would have bet money against it - big money...

Just wanted to share. Don't know if it's the answer for everyone, or for that matter anyone but me, however DO NOT discount the effects of stress on your health.

Last edited by cobra2411; 02-09-2013 at 07:02 AM..
cobra2411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra2411 View Post
Ok, not sure where to sure where to post this but since people with high BP look for dietary ways to deal with their BP I figured I'd post it here.

I first addressed my high BP with diet and losing 75-80lbs or so has gotten me from over 200 down to 145ish/90ish with no meds. Pretty good...

Well I've been dealing with a very bad relationship with my mother and the details aren't important but when I went to an energy healer she noted a band of stress around my chest/mid section and after some talking it was suggested I do something about my issues. The energy healer is also a counselor and is good at digging those kind of buried nuggets out... Also, it wasn't a one day process, but that's not important...

I never would have said I was stressed or holding back emotions; I'm a very happy-go-lucky kind of person. Well as I began the process of dealing with my mother (basically removing her from my life) I had an unbelievable release of pent up emotions that I had ZERO idea were there. Afterward I felt as if I was used as a punching bag. It was that soreness you get after a good workout. It was all in that band area the energy healer said was tied up in knots.

The best part - no meds and my BP has been rock solid around 110/70.

Never in a million years would I have said I was under enough stress to warrant any kind of major health issues. I would have bet money against it - big money...

Just wanted to share. Don't know if it's the answer for everyone, or for that matter anyone but me, however DO NOT discount the effects of stress on your health.
I've been there, though not as bad as your situation sounds. And yep, removing that element of stress from one's life is the answer. A few years ago I was watching my business go down the toilet due to the crashing economy (this was back in 2008-2009). That really changed me. My priorities changed. I decided I wanted the rest of my life to be low-stress and that I would eliminate anything/anyone that caused me excess or ongoing stress, and I did that, and it worked.

Good for you; sometimes you have to remove that person even if it is a close relative or former loved one. I've had to completely remove my parents from my life twice! We have reconciled now though.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cobra2411
Stats: 323/246/223
WOE: 75lbs lost on Atkins now JUDDD
Start Date: May 2011
Had my highest BP reading so far. It wasn't exactly resting, I've been running around getting things done around the house and decided to check for curiosity sake... Just ran into my office, sat down and took the reading.

120/75...

Hey, I was there in 08/09 - Took a nice hit. Still trying to find my footing a bit. My new found energy should help though.

My mother is a classic high functioning boarder line personality. If that means anything to you then you'll fully understand what I've been dealing with. She self imploded her life and moved in with me. I had NO idea what I was in for...

I should also add that the numbers in the first post were non-exercise numbers. When I was exercising they did get lower then that. Guess they're right when they say exercise is a great way to reduce stress... Now if only my joints would agree...

Last edited by cobra2411; 02-15-2013 at 09:50 AM..
cobra2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
In my case my high blood pressure is genetic and the only thing to bring it down is being on 3 medicines. Having said that, I will also say that my doctor was having a hard time controlling my BP during a very stressful time in my life and after things got better, it did level off....but I still needed the 3 meds. I'm 61 years old, have exercised consistently my entire life, eat healthy, weigh 105 lbs, never overweight, but due to genetics my BP needs to always be controlled by meds. Stress can be a killer....not only does it raise BP but it can also raise blood glucose, so kudos to you for being able to control that part of your life.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
I am new to high bp,It has gone as high as 192. Scared me/ Dr suggested doubling my med.I tried a cardiologist who sat and talked about my lifestyle changes recently. i recently lost my dh and have been eating out much more often. Dr. said that my sodium rich diet must change. I have been counting gs and mgs and it's amazing how much sodium is in what I eat. I have greatly reduced it and my bps are not going out of control since last Wed. What a relief!No more midnight runs to the ER. Now I have to rethink all my low carb recipes. eg. No more Pork rinds or ham. Cream is better than 1/2 and 1/2, Anyone got any other ideas?
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Dreeza, I'm sorry to hear about your DH. As far as what I do, I always visit a restaurant's website to view their nutrtional charts to help me select their lower carb and/or lower sodium meals. But not all restaurants have those charts, usually chains do. Also, I stopped eating processed foods as they have very high sodium, especially canned soups and frozen dinners, even the healthy versions. The low sodium soups are reduced but one suggested serving is not enough for me, and two servings have too much sodium. I suggest you try no salt nuts; they take some getting used to, but once you do, they are delicious and healthy. If you can't handle that, they do sell "lightly salted" versions that take no getting used to. There are low sodium, or no salt, versions of a lot of foods in the grocery store that you have to look for; again, the taste does take some getting used to. But once you are used to it, the regular versions taste too salty. Bread has a lot of sodium, but since you're low carbing, that probably isn't an issue for you. I went through a time where the doctor just couldn't control my BP; he had me on six medications at one point! I kept telling him that I wanted to try a diuretic, and he finally said ok. So, now my BP is well controlled with 3 meds, one of which is a diuretic that I take 4X per week. My doctor told me he "doesn't like diuretics" but they work for me, so that solved my problem. There may be a more effective med out there for you that your doctor hasn't tried yet that will be the magic bullet. I wish you good health.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote