Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Location: The Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix
Gallery: DivaHerself
Stats: My ass is still big enough to kick yours
WOE: Wedding Cake Martinis, Darvocet & frozen Twinkies
Start Date: As if. Fix your own damn dinner.
Millions awarded to two autistic children by federal "Vaccine Court"

As reported by the Huffington Post, two more children who developed autism following routine vaccinations have been awarded millions of dollars to help pay for the lifetime of specialized care they will need to address their injuries.

David Kirby: Vaccine Court Awards Millions to Two Children With Autism
DivaHerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Thanks for posting!
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Maureen in Italy
Stats: 149/138/133
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 2014 (this time...)
I have a good friend who is completely convinced that her son was normal prior to his 18 month shots. (He was diagnosed with Autism before his 3rd birthday and it seems has no hope of ever living independently) It would be nice to find out what's causing the increased amount of cases...
Maureen in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
The vaccine debate is frightening. I have vaccinated my 6 month old because I've been told the reason illnesses like whooping cough are coming back is because people stopped vaccinating.

I just wish I knew what was the right thing to do. So much conflicting info.
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Shelf
Purrgirl: Me too. My little guy's 4 month vaccines were today and he got 4 shots. I hate it. our insurance won't let us do an alternative schedule because it will only pay for so many visits.
Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Gallery: pocahontas
I must be out of touch. I thought the vaccine/autism link was debunked?? I am pro-vaccine typically though I would be open to an amended schedule except that insurance wont allow it.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #7

Gallery: bobbi
I was reading about children in Europe developing narcolepsy after taking the swine flu vaccine. It supposedly has an ingredient that we don't have here.
bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas View Post
I must be out of touch. I thought the vaccine/autism link was debunked?? I am pro-vaccine typically though I would be open to an amended schedule except that insurance wont allow it.
It was debunked. I just think its hard to prove. There are still people who allege vaccines caused their child's autism.

My hair stylist believes it caused her daughters autism. I don't know what to think. I'm pro-vaccine for some reasons, but every time I read of another allegation I get worried.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelf View Post
Purrgirl: Me too. My little guy's 4 month vaccines were today and he got 4 shots. I hate it. our insurance won't let us do an alternative schedule because it will only pay for so many visits.
I hate it too. My daughter just had 4 shots for her 6 month too. It stresses me out.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Kris T.
Stats: Was 140 now 106 currently
WOE: Over the sink!
Start Date: 2003
Interesting. I, too, have a friend who swears her son was a normal baby before he got shots.

I've always believed that the vaccines don't inherently cause autism, but that if a child is somehow predisposed to it genetically, the shots might be the tipping point.

Last edited by Kris T.; 01-28-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Kris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I am allergic to the perservatives in most vaccines. Luckily, I
I got my shots before they added thimersol (mercury). My son, had an allergic reaction to the DPT shot (his first one). He did not get any more of that vaccine. I would have a real hard time justifying all of the vaccines they want kids to have now.
floridagirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrgirl View Post
I hate it too. My daughter just had 4 shots for her 6 month too. It stresses me out.
This frustrates me too no end. Between the insurance companies not paying for alternate schedules and the vaccine companies not making single doses (ie MMR) it leaves a lot of people in a position they don't want to be in. And often the choice is that they won't vaccinate at all. I'm in that camp (for now) - let the haters hate and all the moms refuse to let their kids play with mine. I have talked to a few mothers like me that just don't really want to opt out of vaccines completely but don't get support from the medical community or vaccine companies (by not giving singe dose options) so feel the no vaccine route is the only safe route for their family.

I personally feel that vaccines are safe for *most* - but who knows if you are the 'most'? I *think* that kids probably have some genetic propensity to autism and the vaccine pushes that button. Would some kids have developed it anyways - maybe...maybe not... maybe not as 'severely'...

It's a frustrating topic for me that I usually avoid because people are so polarized about it. It's funny... Everyone always says that parents must make an informed decision about their family health and weigh the risks. But when we do - and when our answers are diff than 'yours' - then we are told we are 'wrong' (nice word for what i've heard some say). And on top of that the whole 'i won't let my kid play with your un-vaccinated kid argument.. i just don't understand it.

ETA: I was really wavering on getting my son vaccinated on the schedule and was sitting at the ped office for his checkup. I was going to talk to her about him getting the shots. One younger mother came in and they were doing the weigh and measure (in a common room that is used for bf'ing also) and the nurse brought up more shots. The mom said she was concerned because her little girl acted really strange for 3 weeks after her last shot. The nurse kind of gave her a noncommital answer, hurried her out of the room saying 'that is something to talk to the dr about'. I took that as my sign to wait.

Last edited by bobbi; 01-28-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Shelf
Bobbi I totally get why you don't feel like vaccinating. If I had been given more time to research, I may have swayed that way.

One of my questions is what about school? Here if they go to public school they must be vaccinated unless you have a religious objection and even then they stress vaccinations.
Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #14

Quote:
One of my questions is what about school? Here if they go to public school they must be vaccinated unless you have a religious objection and even then they stress vaccinations.
This too! Like I said, I am pro vaccine but I think we should allow an alternate schedule so long as the kids are vaccinated upon starting school. They do so many of them at such an early age, I dont see why they cant be delayed just a bit or broken up more.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
I had to google about that lawsuit because I had heard that it has been proven there is no link. Well, in 1986 the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986 was created and it does allow for law suits to be brought against the government for damages from vaccines. That's 26 years, y'all, not something new, but I have never heard about it.

Here's the website, Vaccine Injury Compensation
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
It looks like NC allows you to file for a religious exemption pretty easily. You just write a letter. Nothing needs to be signed or notarized.

And I think how much they push back is based on the school nurse reviewing the records. I was prepared for a fight with my son and the nurse just had me write a letter. (PA allows personal exemptions.) It was easy peasy.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Bobbi I totally get why you don't feel like vaccinating. If I had been given more time to research, I may have swayed that way.

Michigan is a little more liberal with exemptions.

We are moving there in a couple months and I plan to find a pediatrician that will work with us and see about getting him some of them. The MMR I don't think he will get until he is older though.

TBH, I would pay extra to do an alternative schedule instead letting the insurance company dictate it. But I understand that not everyone has the option.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
Vaccine Compensation

After reading this report, please explain to me how vaccines are safe.
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
My girls were both vaccinated on schedule, but while I was pregnant with my youngest I started researching vaccinations and after many sleepless nights going back and forth on the issue I followed the advice of Dr. Sears book, The Vaccine Book, and did a delayed/spread out schedule for him. I was also very fortunate to find a pediatrician who understood my concerns and was willing to work with me on making up an alternate schedule-my original pediatrician would not so we fired her We had to pay for some of them out of pocket, but I don't regret it-I feel it's some of the best money we've ever spent, even if it was just for the peace of mind it brought me. Now my son is 4 and getting ready for kindergarten this fall. By the time he enters he'll be totally up to date on his vaccinations I think a delayed schedule is a really good way to go about vaccinations!

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-28-2013 at 03:52 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #20

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
In Quebec, you don't have to get any...
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #21
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:

That's the great thing about an alternative/delayed schedule-by the time they're ready to enter kindergarten they're all caught up and on schedule But, your spreading them out over several years, instead of getting the majority of them within the first twelve months.

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-28-2013 at 03:53 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
This is scary sad. I don't know how parents make informed decisions about this.

I wish they knew more about what causes this and why it is on the rise. I read something this morning on this. Used to be 1 in 1,000 kids were diagnosed and now it is 1 in 88?
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Another one here who swears my kid was normal prior to the shots! I strongly believe now celiac is the reason because of the blood brain barrier being infiltrated by the gluten. With a gluten free diet and absolutely no shots my DS is thriving and catching up from his delays but I still hurt over it.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
Another one here who swears my kid was normal prior to the shots! I strongly believe now celiac is the reason because of the blood brain barrier being infiltrated by the gluten. With a gluten free diet and absolutely no shots my DS is thriving and catching up from his delays but I still hurt over it.
I am so glad your son is doing better! The blood brain barrier is interesting. For example, during teething the body releases histamines which allows the blood brain barrier to be infiltrated. Teething and vaccinations occur at the same time so I do think that is another component. I also believe our food system is to blame, GMOs, pesticides, food dyes, etc. It is more than just vaccinations.
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potaty View Post
I am so glad your son is doing better! The blood brain barrier is interesting. For example, during teething the body releases histamines which allows the blood brain barrier to be infiltrated. Teething and vaccinations occur at the same time so I do think that is another component. I also believe our food system is to blame, GMOs, pesticides, food dyes, etc. It is more than just vaccinations.
ITA!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gladsome
Start Date: 4/3/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl6 View Post
I am allergic to the perservatives in most vaccines. Luckily, I
I got my shots before they added thimersol (mercury). My son, had an allergic reaction to the DPT shot (his first one). He did not get any more of that vaccine. I would have a real hard time justifying all of the vaccines they want kids to have now.
I had the world's worst reaction to a tetanus shot! It was a multi use vial (thus preservatives)...
I am more convinced it was from the preservative than the tetanus itself (we will never know) but, my current doctor told me to never have a tetanus shot again (allergic reaction to tetanus)... hopefully, I will not have any incidents where I will have to decide to have one or not.

I have since always requested preservative free vaccines and flu shots.
This year in my area, I was not fast enough to find a preservative free flu shot so, I did not get one.

If a child has the same reaction as I did as an adult with a vaccine... I can see how it may cause 'brain' injuries!

I remember my husband calling the doctors office and telling them that my fever was 105 ish and I was having a 'bad' reaction... asking if I should go to the hospital... They told him that 'it was normal'

I believe in vaccination schedules... I would hope all vaccines go to preservative free... It is sad to see innocent children and families go through these experiences!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrgirl View Post
The vaccine debate is frightening. I have vaccinated my 6 month old because I've been told the reason illnesses like whooping cough are coming back is because people stopped vaccinating.

I just wish I knew what was the right thing to do. So much conflicting info.
I read somewhere that in the recent outbreak in whooping cough, 85% of the children were vaccinated. it's my theory that the heavy schedule of vaccines is making kids sicker, not healthier. jmo
Tammy2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
Start Date: June 2008
the oral polio vaccine seems particularly scary. The original polio vaccine administered to millions in the 1950s has been linked to tens of thousands of cancers due to a monkey virus present in the vaccine manufacturing.

SV40Cancer.com

SV40-Cancer-Polio Vaccine Link
Tammy2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Yes it was. The doctor responsible for the original fake study in the Lancet even confessed he was paid to fake the study and falsify the results . But it's hard to put this genie back in the bottle. Meanwhile whooping cough is coming back, measles pops up in pockets and God only knows what's next.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Yes it was. The doctor responsible for the original fake study in the Lancet even confessed he was paid to fake the study and falsify the results . But it's hard to put this genie back in the bottle. Meanwhile whooping cough is coming back, measles pops up in pockets and God only knows what's next.

Do you have a link for this? I haven't read anywhere that Wakefield confessed to faking it and that he was paid to fake it?

Last edited by bobbi; 01-28-2013 at 07:10 PM..