Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Which types of carbohydrates cause an insulin response? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/795387-types-carbohydrates-cause-insulin-response.html)

Seeking 01-25-2013 11:16 AM

Which types of carbohydrates cause an insulin response?

Let's say you are going to eat fiber--just fiber. No fat, no sugar, no starches, no other carbs, no protein, just some fiber. Will that cause an insulin response?

I ask because I just noticed something. I was looking at the nutrition facts for flax seed meal, and it says "total carbohydrates: 4g" per serving. Here's how it shows up on the label:

Total Carbohydrate: 4g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Soluble Fiber: 1g
Insoluble Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 0g

Does this mean that all the carbohydrates are coming from fiber and none from sugars, starches or other forms of carbohydrates that are known to cause an insulin response?

And if so, do we know whether or not fiber will cause an insulin response? My understanding is that fiber is a form of plant sugar (cellulose) that our bodies cannot digest and therefore cannot use as sugar--is that right or wrong?

If that is right, does that mean that sugar substitutes that our bodies cannot digest are also considered to be fiber? Where does pure stevia extract come into this equation; is it a fiber?

ravenrose 01-25-2013 09:54 PM

first, that sort of fiber you describe is insoluble fiber. soluble is different, but also supposedly indigestible. theoretically they would not trigger an insulin response. I think there is something about stomach distention doing something along those lines independent of nutrients, but I forget the details.

as for flax, there is some carb there. the apparent zero values are the result of some rounding. it's pretty low though.

Seeking 01-27-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16220050)
first, that sort of fiber you describe is insoluble fiber. soluble is different, but also supposedly indigestible. theoretically they would not trigger an insulin response. I think there is something about stomach distention doing something along those lines independent of nutrients, but I forget the details.

as for flax, there is some carb there. the apparent zero values are the result of some rounding. it's pretty low though.

The numbers I quoted above were from a flaxseed meal label.

scalestepper 01-27-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16220050)

I always enjoy your posts, you are so informative.

I don't know much about insulin response and wonder how one would know for sure that the oat fiber and corn fiber I are using, truly doesn't cause a carb response since the fiber negates the net carb count, i wish I knew how to test.

Thank you Ravenrose for all your shares.