Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
When I Was Fat and Happy

When I was fat and happy at 220#'s. Not a care in the world. Feeling good. No prescription medicines. No doctors in my life.

Then 2011, I get bronchitis, need to see the doc. He takes one look at my apple shaped body, draws blood, takes blood pressure, saids I have diabetes 2 w/high blood pressure. Tells me to lose the weight.

Then the wheel starts turning, and my life becomes a series of doctor visits and blood work!

I lost the weight, now I feel like crap! Blood pressure medicine cut in half, 6 months after starting Atkins, this months AC1 came back at 5.6.

Now the doc wants me to see a cardiologist for afib & possible blockage.

Has me on a 360 aspirin a day w/a beta blocker

If its not one thing its another. And now I'm skinny with a broken heart
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sorry to hear all that ! wow, glad you are getting "fixed up" with your Dr ! Take care and let us know how you are
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I'm so sorry Katee. I try to avoid the doctor as much as possible, BUT it's important to know when you seriously need one and when their advice is just making you sicker. It's a balancing act for sure.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I think you discovered one of great truths of the universe.
"It sucks getting older"
No doubt about it. Things that we got away with for years do eventually catch up with us.
The good news is that you can age in a graceful healthy way.
Google "Dr. Charles Eugster" or find him on facebook.
He is a 93 year old former dentist who is a champion bodybuilder and lecturer who is a shining example of how age is no barrier to doing anything we choose.
I am leaner, stronger, and healthier now than I was 15 years ago.
LC, exercise, love, faith, and positivity are my ingrediants for being the best "me" i can be.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateee View Post
When I was fat and happy at 220#'s. Not a care in the world. Feeling good. No prescription medicines. No doctors in my life.

Then 2011, I get bronchitis, need to see the doc. He takes one look at my apple shaped body, draws blood, takes blood pressure, saids I have diabetes 2 w/high blood pressure. Tells me to lose the weight.

Then the wheel starts turning, and my life becomes a series of doctor visits and blood work!

I lost the weight, now I feel like crap! Blood pressure medicine cut in half, 6 months after starting Atkins, this months AC1 came back at 5.6.

Now the doc wants me to see a cardiologist for afib & possible blockage.

Has me on a 360 aspirin a day w/a beta blocker

If its not one thing its another. And now I'm skinny with a broken heart
What confuses me about your story is that you say you felt great when you were the least healthy with diabetes, but you felt the worst after you lost weight, reduced your blood pressure, brought your A1C down, and got your condition under control. Usually it's the other way around.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I think you discovered one of great truths of the universe.
"It sucks getting older"
No doubt about it. Things that we got away with for years do eventually catch up with us.
The good news is that you can age in a graceful healthy way.
Google "Dr. Charles Eugster" or find him on facebook.
He is a 93 year old former dentist who is a champion bodybuilder and lecturer who is a shining example of how age is no barrier to doing anything we choose.
I am leaner, stronger, and healthier now than I was 15 years ago.
LC, exercise, love, faith, and positivity are my ingrediants for being the best "me" i can be.
Thank you....I googled Dr Eugster....he is amazing.....

I your "I am leaner, stronger, and healthier now than I was 15 years ago.
LC, exercise, love, faith, and positivity are my ingrediants for being the best "me" i can be."
attitude
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
What confuses me about your story is that you say you felt great when you were the least healthy with diabetes, but you felt the worst after you lost weight, reduced your blood pressure, brought your A1C down, and got your condition under control. Usually it's the other way around.
I've been feeling bad because it seem all the hard work I've done for my health, I'm still seeing doctors, and I'm still on meds...

When I was the least healthy, I never knew it. Never needed a doctor, until the bronchitus, and then the doc took my BP and blood test for diabetes...I never knew I had problems.

The doc recently changed my meds, and I'm feeling much better than when I first posted this....

My goal is to get off all meds...I was low on magnesium

Seems like the docs tell us the worst case senario's...he had me scared to death. At my last visit he apologized to me
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
awww, hugs to you!!! My mom always says going to the doctor makes you sicker. I understand the concept, but it's just that we don't know any better before. Good for you getting to a healthy weight! I'm sure the health issues would have had you feeling much worse RIGHT NOW if you'd not made such great changes. You know? Interesting that you're low on mag! I just ordered some mag lotion (I have a sensitive tummy!) to try b/c I've been thinking I'm low, too.

I'm super happy to hear you're feeling better with your latest post!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbine
Stats: 6'7, 360 down to 280 so far.
WOE: Count Nothing | Low Carb | Cheat Often
I think I had a stroke once, but I didn't go to the doctor. This is one of the things that prompted me to change my life, and I haven't had anything similar since. I went to the doctor with crippling kidney pain, and they told me nothing was wrong. I fixed the kidney pain with a concoction of cranberry juice and concentrated lemon juice which I found on a homeopathic remedy site, and the pain is gone and has never returned. I later got a second elbow, like a hard golf ball sized knot suddenly showed up next to my elbow, and I found another homeopathic remedy that led me to take 1/3 tsp of baking soda in water 3 times a day for 2 days before it was gone and never returned.

When a doctor steps out of the office to diagnose you, he's just looking it up on WebMD. I have never felt enlightened or even slightly informed after a doctor visit. I would rather die happy than become a lab rat. I will not go back to a doctor for anything that isn't unbearable unless someone forces me to.

I hope there is some silver lining in your weight loss victory. I guess you could think about the fact that if you didn't change your life you could be dead. There is a correlation between fit and success. Obviously being fit makes us more marketable on the dating scene as well. Try to focus on the positive, because life is too short for any negativity.
LowCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote