Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   When I Was Fat and Happy (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/795130-when-i-fat-happy.html)

Kateee 01-22-2013 08:38 PM

When I Was Fat and Happy
 
When I was fat and happy at 220#'s. Not a care in the world. Feeling good. No prescription medicines. No doctors in my life.

Then 2011, I get bronchitis, need to see the doc. He takes one look at my apple shaped body, draws blood, takes blood pressure, saids I have diabetes 2 w/high blood pressure. Tells me to lose the weight.

Then the wheel starts turning, and my life becomes a series of doctor visits and blood work!

I lost the weight, now I feel like crap! Blood pressure medicine cut in half, 6 months after starting Atkins, this months AC1 came back at 5.6.

Now the doc wants me to see a cardiologist for afib & possible blockage.

Has me on a 360 aspirin a day w/a beta blocker :sad:

If its not one thing its another. And now I'm skinny with a broken heart :cry:

shelby'snana 01-22-2013 08:59 PM

sorry to hear all that ! wow, glad you are getting "fixed up" with your Dr ! Take care and let us know how you are

cfine 01-23-2013 09:14 AM

I'm so sorry Katee. I try to avoid the doctor as much as possible, BUT it's important to know when you seriously need one and when their advice is just making you sicker. It's a balancing act for sure.

avid 02-06-2013 05:43 AM

I think you discovered one of great truths of the universe.
"It sucks getting older"
No doubt about it. Things that we got away with for years do eventually catch up with us.
The good news is that you can age in a graceful healthy way.
Google "Dr. Charles Eugster" or find him on facebook.
He is a 93 year old former dentist who is a champion bodybuilder and lecturer who is a shining example of how age is no barrier to doing anything we choose.
I am leaner, stronger, and healthier now than I was 15 years ago.
LC, exercise, love, faith, and positivity are my ingrediants for being the best "me" i can be.

Seeking 02-14-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kateee (Post 16213414)
When I was fat and happy at 220#'s. Not a care in the world. Feeling good. No prescription medicines. No doctors in my life.

Then 2011, I get bronchitis, need to see the doc. He takes one look at my apple shaped body, draws blood, takes blood pressure, saids I have diabetes 2 w/high blood pressure. Tells me to lose the weight.

Then the wheel starts turning, and my life becomes a series of doctor visits and blood work!

I lost the weight, now I feel like crap! Blood pressure medicine cut in half, 6 months after starting Atkins, this months AC1 came back at 5.6.

Now the doc wants me to see a cardiologist for afib & possible blockage.

Has me on a 360 aspirin a day w/a beta blocker :sad:

If its not one thing its another. And now I'm skinny with a broken heart :cry:

What confuses me about your story is that you say you felt great when you were the least healthy with diabetes, but you felt the worst after you lost weight, reduced your blood pressure, brought your A1C down, and got your condition under control. Usually it's the other way around. :dunno:

Kateee 02-17-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16242793)
I think you discovered one of great truths of the universe.
"It sucks getting older"
No doubt about it. Things that we got away with for years do eventually catch up with us.
The good news is that you can age in a graceful healthy way.
Google "Dr. Charles Eugster" or find him on facebook.
He is a 93 year old former dentist who is a champion bodybuilder and lecturer who is a shining example of how age is no barrier to doing anything we choose.
I am leaner, stronger, and healthier now than I was 15 years ago.
LC, exercise, love, faith, and positivity are my ingrediants for being the best "me" i can be.

Thank you....I googled Dr Eugster....he is amazing.....

I :heart: your "I am leaner, stronger, and healthier now than I was 15 years ago.
LC, exercise, love, faith, and positivity are my ingrediants for being the best "me" i can be."
attitude :high5:

Kateee 02-17-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16259925)
What confuses me about your story is that you say you felt great when you were the least healthy with diabetes, but you felt the worst after you lost weight, reduced your blood pressure, brought your A1C down, and got your condition under control. Usually it's the other way around. :dunno:

I've been feeling bad because it seem all the hard work I've done for my health, I'm still seeing doctors, and I'm still on meds...

When I was the least healthy, I never knew it. Never needed a doctor, until the bronchitus, and then the doc took my BP and blood test for diabetes...I never knew I had problems.

The doc recently changed my meds, and I'm feeling much better than when I first posted this....

My goal is to get off all meds...I was low on magnesium :notwrthy:

Seems like the docs tell us the worst case senario's...he had me scared to death. At my last visit he apologized to me :)

Flutter 02-20-2013 06:04 AM

awww, hugs to you!!! My mom always says going to the doctor makes you sicker. I understand the concept, but it's just that we don't know any better before. ;) Good for you getting to a healthy weight! I'm sure the health issues would have had you feeling much worse RIGHT NOW if you'd not made such great changes. You know? Interesting that you're low on mag! I just ordered some mag lotion (I have a sensitive tummy!) to try b/c I've been thinking I'm low, too.

I'm super happy to hear you're feeling better with your latest post! :clap:

LowCarbine 02-20-2013 08:40 AM

I think I had a stroke once, but I didn't go to the doctor. This is one of the things that prompted me to change my life, and I haven't had anything similar since. I went to the doctor with crippling kidney pain, and they told me nothing was wrong. I fixed the kidney pain with a concoction of cranberry juice and concentrated lemon juice which I found on a homeopathic remedy site, and the pain is gone and has never returned. I later got a second elbow, like a hard golf ball sized knot suddenly showed up next to my elbow, and I found another homeopathic remedy that led me to take 1/3 tsp of baking soda in water 3 times a day for 2 days before it was gone and never returned.

When a doctor steps out of the office to diagnose you, he's just looking it up on WebMD. I have never felt enlightened or even slightly informed after a doctor visit. I would rather die happy than become a lab rat. I will not go back to a doctor for anything that isn't unbearable unless someone forces me to.

I hope there is some silver lining in your weight loss victory. I guess you could think about the fact that if you didn't change your life you could be dead. There is a correlation between fit and success. Obviously being fit makes us more marketable on the dating scene as well. Try to focus on the positive, because life is too short for any negativity.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 AM.