Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   What vitamins/supplements do you all take daily ? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/795124-what-vitamins-supplements-do-you-all-take-daily.html)

shelby'snana 01-22-2013 06:09 PM

What vitamins/supplements do you all take daily ?

Hope you will list them here and share your reason for choosing them ! Thanks !

I take :

D3
Vit c - started this week
Magnesium for sleep
Melatonin for sleep
Probiotics

Kateee 01-22-2013 07:47 PM

C 1000 for heart
D3 for mood
B12 to reduce the levels of homocysteine in my body
5HTP for anxiety, and late night cravings, I rarely take it anymore
Melotonin for sleep, I rarely take it anymore
Metamucil for fiber
Natural Calm for fast heart rate
Zinc for skin
Fish Oil for heart
Niacin for cholesterol
R-Lipoic Acid for blood sugar
Probiotic

On occasion when I miss a day of my vitamins, I'll take a Women's Centrum Silver Multi Vitamin

Lokarbiebarbie 01-23-2013 04:33 AM

I've been using twinlab daily one without iron (I don't need it) for about 14 years now. It's a powder in capsule so disperses easily in the body.

I also take magnesium (240mg. twice a day, after lunch, after dinner).
D3 (prescription)
probiotic
Fish oil

coffeelover 01-29-2013 03:22 AM

This is a really good topic. I tend to be attracted to buying vitamins and supplements but frankly I'm not sure what I need other than the D3 (tested low). Sometimes I wonder if this is just an unnecessary expense. Right now I'm taking:

Calcium - for the bones since I don't drink milk
Magnesium - for calming and sleep
Multi-vitamin - general health
Super B - stress
D3 - I tested low
Fish Oil - heart health among other things
CoQ10 - heart and blood pressure

Not sure whether to continue with the calcium. I read that it might not be good for the heart. I'm confused.

Lokarbiebarbie 01-29-2013 04:21 AM

Your doctor can test you for serum calcium. Years ago mine was excessively high and that's how I found out I had a parathyroid tumor. It turned out to be more than one. I then had to take calcitrol (specialized calcium) but now my bones are suffering because of over calcification. The test is simple and can be done with just a blood draw.

Mimosa23 01-29-2013 07:47 AM

I am trying to help get rid of a host of annoying issues that arose from stubbornly eating wheat whilst knowing I am allergic...

I am experiencing detoxing syndromes and trying to supplement with the following to alleviate the symptoms and support my immune system:

Vit D3
Omega 3 Cod liver oil
Multivitamin
Vitamin C
Iodine/sea kelp
Magnesium
CoQ10

I am also eating coconut oil and grass fed butter.
I eat enough dairy to keep the Netherlands in business with their cheese exporting, as well as lots of green leafy vegetables, so I am ok for calcium.

Due to extremely dry skin issues I am considering taking Silica in the form of diatomaceous earth... I should also start my probiotics again to support this...

The CoQ10 will be stopped once I finish the bottle, and the Iodine is an experiment at the moment, so I will probably stop that once I finish the packet I bought and reassess.

I take Magnesium every night before I go to bed, 400mg dosage.
D3 I take daily after my first meal of the day, and I take 10000 iu in winter/darker months and reduce my dosage to 5000 iu every other day in the months that I manage to get enough sunshine on my skin.

shelby'snana 01-29-2013 07:58 AM

very interesting ! Thanks for responding !

Meowser 01-31-2013 03:50 PM

multivitamin
magnesium - to help me be regular
Vitamin C
probiotics - digestive health and regularity
fish oil - general health and to reduce inflammation
cranberry pill - urinary tract health

Occasionally take aloe vera juice to help my digestive issues

cfine 01-31-2013 05:49 PM

Vitamin D-about 20-30,000 IU's per day in the winter months. This has kept me from getting sick :)
B-12
Fish oil-2 at every meal
CoQ10-one per day
Cerofolin-this is a medical grade prescription that is used for early onset dementia, but I use it for other reasons. It has folic acid, some B vitamins and NAC in it.
Calm Magnesium-helps me sleep
Melatonin-5 or 10mg per night

I use other things when needed such as collodial silver, monolaurin, oregano oil.

Mimosa23 01-31-2013 11:23 PM

cfine, how do you use colloidal silver? I have some which I bought for my candida symptoms, but haven't used it yet... What do you use it for?
xx

sarahatl 02-01-2013 10:02 AM

Magnesium? For sleep? I am an insomniac... Once I went through menopause I have never slept well (it has been 5 years). I tried the melatonin but it did not work and I was afraid to keep taking it (does it need to build up?). I have talked to two Drs. about this. They both wanted to give me sleeping pills which I do take occcasionally. My OB/GYN does not want to give me Hormone Replacment Therapy. I think going through Menopause has something to do with this. How much Magnesium do you take? I may need to try this. Does it take a while to work? The last 3 nights I have only had 3 hours sleep....it's killing me I feel like a zombie.

Erin57 02-01-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahatl (Post 16233651)
Magnesium? For sleep? I am an insomniac... Once I went through menopause I have never slept well (it has been 5 years). I tried the melatonin but it did not work and I was afraid to keep taking it (does it need to build up?). I have talked to two Drs. about this. They both wanted to give me sleeping pills which I do take occcasionally. My OB/GYN does not want to give me Hormone Replacment Therapy. I think going through Menopause has something to do with this. How much Magnesium do you take? I may need to try this. Does it take a while to work? The last 3 nights I have only had 3 hours sleep....it's killing me I feel like a zombie.

magnesium is good for just about everything. My DH takes the cheap stuff and he says it makes him sleep better. Discuss Bio-identical hormone replacement with you doctor. Or do a search on finding a different one.
I take Progesterone before bed and sleep like a baby.

shelby'snana 02-04-2013 01:06 AM

I personally take 400mg magnesium and 2 Melatonins together. I usually get sleepy within an hour and go lay down. Doesn't make me STAY asleep though ;/

Seeking 02-14-2013 04:38 PM

Currently the only thing I'm taking is Shaklee Vita Lea without Iron, one tablet every other day, (each tablet provides 1/2 of the RDA for adults). But I eat a very balanced diet which includes lots of veggies, meats, and healthy fats, so I am pretty sure I'm getting everything I need.

Currently I am looking into supplementing further with probiotics (to help with autoimmune disease prevention), chromium and magnesium (for blood sugar/insulin), CoQ10 (antioxidant), selenium (thyroid), and a few others but I'm not done researching yet to find out if I actually need any of those.

focus83 02-15-2013 04:28 AM

I take:

Multivitamin - general health
Omega 3 - increase concentration
Raspberry ketone - only trying it for this one month to see if it helps with weighloss (it hasnt done)
Sea Kelp - for skin and hair.

Also want to start taking Acai berry tablets for cleansing enternally. x

Erin57 02-15-2013 05:02 AM

Currently Iím taking:

Beta Glucan
Astaxanthin
L-5-MTHF
COQ10 with Selenium
Krill Oil
Vitamin D3
Vitamin K2
B12 Sublingal
Probiotics
Naturthroid for Thyroid
Bio-identical Progesterone

My DH and Mom take some of these also. Not one of us has even had a cold this year. It could also be that we are super vigilant about hand washing and sanitizing due to the flu scares.

Heidinem 02-15-2013 05:45 AM

fish oil
vit D
magnesium
evening primrose oil
milk thistle
coq10

shelby'snana 02-18-2013 12:51 AM

wow I've never heard of some of these ! Interesting stuff :)

CTH 03-28-2013 12:44 PM

• Fish Oil - No Burp... can't stand the after-effects of the gels :sick:.
  • B12
  • D
  • Raspberry Ketones
  • Green Coffee

I started the Green Coffee & Raspberry Ketones after Dr. Oz went cuckoo over them but I really haven't noticed any benefits... They are pricey too. I'll probably just stop after they're gone....

Patience 03-31-2013 09:49 AM

My lists are pretty similar to the others, with the addition of glucosmine/choindroitan . . . said to help my aging joints.

I am adding a bit of extra potassium for a few days now that I am starting some serious LC. Otherwise, I'll get leg cramps.

TRISTAR 04-10-2013 04:23 AM

A-Z Multivitamin with minerals
Echinacea (until the cold season finishes)
Omega 3, 6 & 9
I also take White Kidney Bean Extract if I'm eating more carbs than I'd like