Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Quack DR? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/794606-quack-dr.html)

sassy40 01-16-2013 10:56 AM

Quack DR?
 
Hi all,
Went to DR yesterday for many reasons. 1 being my back has been out about a month. She said it may be out of line due to the weight loss is tis even possible?

Also she said to stop taking my Diabetes meds and she did not check my sugar?

Any advice

Buffy45 01-16-2013 10:57 AM

Run

flatferenghi 01-16-2013 10:58 AM

she should be reported to the AMA
 
for gross incompetence. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

sassy40 01-16-2013 11:02 AM

You dont think my back could be out due to the weight loss?

slange66 01-16-2013 11:14 AM

Your back issue could be related to wt. Loss. That happened to me. However, did she do xrays?

And why didn't she check your blood sugar? Did she do blood work? If not, thr previous advice was right, run.

sassy40 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

No xrays of my back. I was there for many reasons. I do not know why they did not check my sugar they did other blood work.

avid 01-16-2013 11:17 AM

Wow!! Run is the word that comes to my mind.
While I think there is some possible connection between your back problem and weight loss in my minds it's definetely 'iffy'
But telling you to stop your diabetes meds without checking your sugar level????
that's so crazy it's beyond crazy....
Please tell me there is more to this story.

princessmommy 01-16-2013 11:19 AM

I'd Definetly find another Dr! To tell you to stop your meds without even testing your BS is very irresponsible!

greybb1 01-16-2013 11:30 AM

Be an informed patient! If she tells you something you don't understand, ASK. If they did other blood work, they may have done an instant A1C and your number could have been low.

You've lost about 45-50 pounds? Do you carry a lot of weight in your stomach/midsection/boobs? Is it now flabby and hanging? This can pull on your lower back and cause problems.

The thing is, you will never know for sure until your ask. You paid your money, you are due an explanation. Call the office & talk to the nurse (or leave a message) and tell them you want to make sure your understood the doctor; you heard "Quit taking your blood sugar meds and the weight loss caused your back problems" and you want to know why.

You are due an explanation, and I would get one before I run off to another doctor.

sassy40 01-16-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16199608)
Be an informed patient! If she tells you something you don't understand, ASK. If they did other blood work, they may have done an instant A1C and your number could have been low.

You've lost about 45-50 pounds? Do you carry a lot of weight in your stomach/midsection/boobs? Is it now flabby and hanging? This can pull on your lower back and cause problems.

The thing is, you will never know for sure until your ask. You paid your money, you are due an explanation. Call the office & talk to the nurse (or leave a message) and tell them you want to make sure your understood the doctor; you heard "Quit taking your blood sugar meds and the weight loss caused your back problems" and you want to know why.

You are due an explanation, and I would get one before I run off to another doctor.

Yes I carry alot of weight in my stomach and yes it is hanging. I will call to see if they checked my blood and did not let me know.
I will be finding a new DR.

sassy40 01-16-2013 11:51 AM

Okay just got off with the Nurse, she said that i was borderline Diabetic and seeing i have lost over 40 pounds she thinks i should stop taking Metformin. I am private pay no insurance so she was trying to save me money by not doing the blood work. I am going to go purchace test strips this week and test regularly.

JoLi 01-16-2013 12:01 PM

I didn't start having back problems until I lost 85 pounds. Also, one of our grocery stores has occasional health screenings to include blood tests for common things. If yours does test for the A1C, have it done occasionally. less than 7 is OK. According to the two doctors I talked to last night, neither of them would treat if it was less than 7.

greybb1 01-16-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy40 (Post 16199645)
Okay just got off with the Nurse, she said that i was borderline Diabetic and seeing i have lost over 40 pounds she thinks i should stop taking Metformin. I am private pay no insurance so she was trying to save me money by not doing the blood work. I am going to go purchase test strips this week and test regularly.

:jumpjoy: Yay! Now why don't they just come out and tell you that stuff before you leave the office? :dunno:

sassy40 01-16-2013 12:11 PM

Well now I am wondering i have always been lower then 7, not by much but lower

Mistizoom 01-18-2013 09:21 AM

I would get a second opinion. I am not borderline diabetic, my blood sugar levels are fine, but I take metformin to control insulin levels (PCOS). Low carb does that as well of course. But metformin can have other health benefits and I personally will be in no rush to change it any time soon even after losing as much weight as you have. Have you checked out the Blood Sugar 101 webiste? Lots of good info on there that may help you decide.

ETA: Have you ever seen a chiropractor? They might be able to help your back issues.

Seeking 01-18-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy40 (Post 16199514)
Hi all,
Went to DR yesterday for many reasons. 1 being my back has been out about a month. She said it may be out of line due to the weight loss is tis even possible?

Uh.......lol? I detect incompetence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy40 (Post 16199514)
Also she said to stop taking my Diabetes meds and she did not check my sugar?

Any advice

I concur with others when they said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffy45 (Post 16199519)
Run

;) Time for a new doctor!!!!!!! Yours is indeed incompetent!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy40 (Post 16199573)
No xrays of my back.

And once again, yes run! Because your doctor is a ... http://cdn.mdjunction.com/components...ncingDuck2.gif

cfine 01-23-2013 09:19 AM

I personally don't know what I would do without my chiropractor. She has saved my life when it comes to back issues. In our area, most of the chiropractors will offer a good deal for new patients. You can get xrays and an adjustment for really cheap.

As for the Metformin, it's not that expensive, and I personally wouldn't go off of it until I had my A1C checked first. That's just my opinion.

Good luck to you!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 PM.