Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I find this truly fascinating....

Quote:
erinmarie Resurrecting this thread... I have just read a couple scholarly articles that suggest a diet composed of 60-80% fat with the remainder speed equally between proton and carbs can control both epilepsy and bipolar effectively. Incidentally, my moods have been stable ever since beginning LC. The two exceptions involved the consumption of excess carbs- and not a whole lot- but enough combined with alcohol. As simple as a breaded chicken strip full carb beer and a couple fries. Weird, but I have found enough science on the subject to understand this. Not sure how living on such a strict ketogenic diet is sustainable- though there is suggestion following Atkins alleviates symptoms as well. Just less effectively. Sigh. I'm feeling run down and was ready to start adding a few carbs back in . Guess not
Do you mind sharing where you found this. I read a blog not long ago that stated this woe also helped with Alzheimer disease. I could lean toward being mostly vegetarian....but this makes me think....

Thanks,
Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
When I was ready to add some carbs back in, it started with big beautiful salads.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
I find this truly fascinating....

Do you mind sharing where you found this. I read a blog not long ago that stated this woe also helped with Alzheimer disease. I could lean toward being mostly vegetarian....but this makes me think....

Thanks,
Anna
You may want to read the new book "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Just wanted to add my two cents in here...

I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was a teen. Currently I have other diagnoses as well. But my pysch doc is the one who suggested the Atkins diet because I had gained so much weight from all my meds. Just like with any other med, there may be certain items you need to adjust or limit depending on the med you take. But your woe can also improve your symptoms. If your pysch doc is not willing to work with your decision of a LC diet, I would ask specific questions about what foods he believes interacts badly with your meds. If he can't answer that question with proven research, I suggest looking for a new doc.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Thanks for all the response.

I do not eat any gluten. It gives me terrible headaches.

Quote:
MaryMary When I was ready to add some carbs back in, it started with big beautiful salads.
That is a great ideal. Thanks

Quote:
Mistizoom You may want to read the new book "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter
I have heard of it. I do think grains are not good. Thanks.

mjgh06 thanks for your 2 cents. I think that is great that your dr. recomended this woe. I don't think many drs tie food/mood and all that together. Glad you found someone good.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote