Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
I have PCOS and Hyperinsulinemia. Both problems are best managed by a Gluten Free, Low Carb diet. Depending on the level of whacked out hormones you may also compliment it by birth control. For example my daughter who also has PCOS has too much testosterone so she need BCP's to balance. (She was growing hair on the front of her neck like a guy would.). One of her doctor's told her that many (if not all) women with PCOS have gluten sensitivity and recommended she go on a GF diet (which she's baulking at). sigh. Anyway many (not all) of your symptoms do fit the PCOS.

Aside from Direct Labs you can also use MyMedLabs (compare prices). I know they do a fasting insulin for about 100. They also have one that is several draws during the day - I don't know if its the GTT or not but since it's drawn over the day you can just eat/drink fairly high carb and get some feedback (don't overdo it though). Another lab for test you may be able to use is Great Plains Lab (like if you do food allergy or Celiac/Gluten tests). For the Wheat/Gluten issue you mentioned IgG and IgA .. but don't forget IgE (this test for a true wheat allergy which is different. I am not Celiac but have a mild allergy to wheat (IgE) and I definitely have gluten sensitivity. I know I have one of the genes because my son has two of them. (although having them doesn't guarantee you'll get Celiac).

One other thing is that your Adrenal/Cortisol levels may be whacked. Those also can present with some of those symptoms. Cushing's Syndrome is not that common but just thought I'd mention it.

Aside from going LC/GF you probably should consider a good probiotic especially since you have yeast symptoms. I also have this issue (and not to be graphic) but to keep ahead of the game I either powder or spray anti-perspirant to keep the sweating to a minimum for rash prone areas. Also make sure those areas are really really dry prior to getting dressed. You can also see if using coconut oil as a skin crème helps since it has antibacterial type properties. ymmv).

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
Update: My bloodwork results are in

Well, folks, I did some blood testing and the results are in. I have made the high ones underlined and bolded.

Celiac Panel:

Immunoglobulin A: 137 mg/dL.
Reference: 91-414

Deamidated Gliadin Antibodies, IgA: 21 units
Reference:
0-19 = negative
20-30 = weak positive
>30 = Moderate to strong positive

t-Transglutaminase IgA: 28 U/mL
Reference:
0-3 = negative
4-10 = weak positive
>10 = positive

-------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin and Other Tests:
After 4 days of discontinuing all vitamins and while fasting

Vitamin B12: 325 pg/mL
Reference: 211-946

Vitamin D: 41 ng/mL
Reference: 30.0-100.0

C-Reactive Protein: 3.72 mg/L
Reference: 0.0-3.0

Folate: 12.8 ng/mL
Reference: >3

Cortisol, AM:
13.5 ug/dL
Reference for AM: 2.3 - 19.4

-------------------------------------------------------

Thyroid Panel:

TSH: 3.36 uIU/mL
Reference: 0.45-4.5

Free T4: 1.49 ng/dL
Reference: 0.82-1.77

Free T3: 3.1
Reference: 2.0-4.4

Reverse T3: 33.7 ng/dL
Reference: 9.2-24.1

T4 (I'm guessing this is total): 10.7 ug/dL
Reference: 4.5-12.0

Thyroid Peroxidase TPO: 10 IU/mL
Reference: 0-34

Thyroglobulin Antibody: 177 IU/mL
Reference: 0.0-0.9

I had a doctor friend look over these results and his opinion is that I have Celiac disease but not Hashimoto's thyroid disease or any other thyroid disease. I disagree with him about thyroid; I think I have a thyroid disease.

What do you all think about these results? I'm still in shock so I can't comment much yet.

Last edited by Seeking; 05-30-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
Definitely Celiac. From what I can see you are having some autoimmune issues re your thyroid but unless you have a progressive doctor most will only treat if the TSH is high (they often "wait and see"). And although I think some labs dropped the upper limit of TSH to three it looks like this lab has it at the older value (>4 or 5). Docs (in my Experience) tend to follow the conservative approach and only treat based on lab values. so in the end it doesn't matter what we think (as you know) it depends on what your doc says.

You may consider stopping over at stopthethyroid madness site - probably one of the better thyroid info and support site.

also Celiac and Hashi's are both autoimmune in kinda the same gene area and it's common to have both.

Once you are Gluten Free (imperative) then some of your inflammation should go down and you'll start getting more nutrition to better support your health. Also one good thing if you are dairy intolerant now once you are GF and your gut heals you might be able to once again have dairy

One other thing I've read that selenium helps support the thyroid .. Brazil Nuts are one of the better sources (and low carb .. so eat a nut or two every day (don't go overboard as too much is not so great either).
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote