Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqt1981 View Post
In my state (Michigan) uninsured women of child bearing years qualify for free family planning insurance. This coverage covers annual gynecological visit and birth control. You should look into whether your state has similar options.

I would look into PCOS. Diagnosis does not require an ultrasound. Ultrasounds are used to detect the presence of cysts. You can have PCOS and not have cysts. PCOS can be confirmed through blood tests that look at your androgen levels. The treatment for PCOS is usually birth control pills. It looks like you are already on birth control but their are also diets that help with PCOS. These diets are usually low carb/high protein.

The skin itching/rash under breasts sound like a separate problem. Perhaps an overgrowth of yeast.
The rash under my breasts issue resolved completely when I began eating a lower-carb diet. I just went in yesterday to have my androgen levels checked via a DHEA-S test. The result was high.

Test Name: DHEA-Sulfate

Result: 452.4 ug/dL

Reference interval: 98.8 - 340.0 ug/dL

I was sent a warning notice by the lab that I should see a doctor but I'm not going to bother because I have no faith in doctors; I think doctors will most of the time not be competent enough to accurately diagnose me and even if they do figure out something meaningful that just means unnecessary medication which I am unwilling to go on. I am already on birth control (Lo Loestrin Fe) which is the first thing the doctors run to with PCOS anyway.

So my next step is figuring out why my DHEA-S is high. And does this mean I have PCOS for sure?
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,605
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
The rash under my breasts issue resolved completely when I began eating a lower-carb diet. I just went in yesterday to have my androgen levels checked via a DHEA-S test. The result was high.

Test Name: DHEA-Sulfate

Result: 452.4 ug/dL

Reference interval: 98.8 - 340.0 ug/dL

I was sent a warning notice by the lab that I should see a doctor but I'm not going to bother because I have no faith in doctors; I think doctors will most of the time not be competent enough to accurately diagnose me and even if they do figure out something meaningful that just means unnecessary medication which I am unwilling to go on. I am already on birth control (Lo Loestrin Fe) which is the first thing the doctors run to with PCOS anyway.

So my next step is figuring out why my DHEA-S is high. And does this mean I have PCOS for sure?
Based on this and some of your other symptoms it sure sounds likely, but that's what I thought several months ago . How low carb are you now? Have you had any thyroid testing done yet? There are medications you can go on for PCOS besides birth control pills, so I do encourage you to see a doctor who has some knowlege of how to treat PCOS. I do take birth control pills (progestin only at this point due to my age and blood pressue), but also metformin. These plus the low carb diet are really helping to control my symptoms. Some women with PCOS take spironolactone for it's anti-androgen properties, but I never have. You might also check out SoulCysters which is a PCOS message board if you haven't, a lot of young women on there with the same issues you are dealing with.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-05-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Based on this and some of your other symptoms it sure sounds likely, but that's what I thought several months ago . How low carb are you now? Have you had any thyroid testing done yet? There are medications you can go on for PCOS besides birth control pills, so I do encourage you to see a doctor who has some knowlege of how to treat PCOS. I do take birth control pills (progestin only at this point due to my age and blood pressue), but also metformin. These plus the low carb diet are really helping to control my symptoms. Some women with PCOS take spironolactone for it's anti-androgen properties, but I never have. You might also check out SoulCysters which is a PCOS message board if you haven't, a lot of young women on there with the same issues you are dealing with.
I have not yet had any thyroid testing, but that is the next step. Been gradually doing testing as the money became available. I'd rather find out what caused me to get to this point and fix it instead of going on medication.

I'll check out that SoulCysters place too. Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate all the input I've gotten so far from everybody. And the low carbing has really really been helping me. I have been doing about 100g-150g carbs per day but I'm aiming for lower, like 75g carbs per day as my next step.

I'm very against the idea of going on spiro or any medication...I think that if I go on meds I'm just covering up the real problem and dealing with the symptoms instead of the problem, and that whatever it is that has caused the high DHEA-S will go unresolved and undealt-with.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,605
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I have not yet had any thyroid testing, but that is the next step. Been gradually doing testing as the money became available. I'd rather find out what caused me to get to this point and fix it instead of going on medication.

I'll check out that SoulCysters place too. Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate all the input I've gotten so far from everybody. And the low carbing has really really been helping me. I have been doing about 100g-150g carbs per day but I'm aiming for lower, like 75g carbs per day as my next step.

I'm very against the idea of going on spiro or any medication...I think that if I go on meds I'm just covering up the real problem and dealing with the symptoms instead of the problem, and that whatever it is that has caused the high DHEA-S will go unresolved and undealt-with.
I understand, but the thing is there may be no resolving the underlying issue. If you have PCOS, the main thing you can do is hope to control the symptoms. There is no absolute cure. Controlling your insulin levels is the closest you will get to a cure. And, after living with PCOS (for many years undiagnosed) for well over 25 years now I can tell you that low carb has been the best thing for me. But I mean very low carb - like 30-40 g/day. So do keep lowering your carb intake. The second best thing for me has been metformin. It is a very good and safe drug (as long as you stay well hydrated) and may have postivie benefits other than helping control the insulin resistance. The third most beneficial is the birth control pills. I have been on them since age 18 and until my mid 30's that was all I took for my PCOS. The birth control pills helped me conceive my son. So I am very grateful for them. Medications are not all bad. They all have risks and benefits. You just have to weigh the plusses and minuses for each.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I understand, but the thing is there may be no resolving the underlying issue. If you have PCOS, the main thing you can do is hope to control the symptoms. There is no absolute cure.
If and when I reach that point (where I am diagnosed with PCOS and become convinced that there is nothing that can be done about it except for medication i.e. metformin) then I will consider medication.

Quote:
Controlling your insulin levels is the closest you will get to a cure.
But what caused PCOS in the first place? I have become convinced that my body's ability to metabolize carbohydrates properly (the ability to extract energy from them and not overproduce insulin in response to them) was somehow damaged. And I'm far from the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
And, after living with PCOS (for many years undiagnosed) for well over 25 years now I can tell you that low carb has been the best thing for me. But I mean very low carb - like 30-40 g/day.
Whew, that is gonna be difficult to achieve. I bet I'd feel amazing though if I was eating that few carbs. Congratulations on getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
So do keep lowering your carb intake. The second best thing for me has been metformin. It is a very good and safe drug (as long as you stay well hydrated) and may have postivie benefits other than helping control the insulin resistance.
I've read about metformin; it forces the body's cells to take in glucose. My mom has Type 2 diabetes and she has been taking metformin ever since she was diagnosed and it does help her. I have read about insulin resistance and what metformin does, but I have become convinced that insulin resistance is the body's natural defense mechanism against long-term chronic overconsumption of carbohydrates. Perhaps some of us are just not biologically/genetically suited to even a "normal" amount of carbs in the diet.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,605
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
Perhaps some of us are just not biologically/genetically suited to even a "normal" amount of carbs in the diet.
BINGO.

PCOS is genetic. There is no cure for it. Only controlling it.

ETA: And I would agree with you putting "normal" in quotes. There is nothing normal abou eating huge amounts of carbohydrates. Grains have only been consumed by humans in any quantity for around 10,000 years. Have you ever checked out any information about Paleo or Primal diets? You might be happier on a primal or paelo plan than strict LC. But those diets do not allow grains or legumes of any kind, as it isn't "normal" for humans to eat them.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-06-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member
 
Nancypie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Az
Posts: 137
Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
i have read about insulin resistance and what metformin does, but I have become convinced that insulin resistance is the body's natural defense mechanism against long-term chronic overconsumption of carbohydrates. Perhaps some of us are just not biologically/genetically suited to even a "normal" amount of carbs in the diet.
That's probably true, but why do are this research and testing if you aren't going to follow it? I mean if you know low carb is what will "cure" insulin resistance, why not do it. I'm insulin resistant and in order to lose weight I have to stay under 15 carbs. To maintained my weight I can have 20-30 carbs.
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancypie11 View Post
That's probably true, but why do are this research and testing if you aren't going to follow it? I mean if you know low carb is what will "cure" insulin resistance, why not do it. I'm insulin resistant and in order to lose weight I have to stay under 15 carbs. To maintained my weight I can have 20-30 carbs.
Oh my goodness, and I thought 100g carbs per day was difficult. With your requirements you can only get carbs from veggies and you even have to watch that! I can't imagine living like that. There must be some way to help your body deal with the carbs better. Maybe exercise, which is known to increase insulin sensitivity.

And I do plan on following it; gradually I've been decreasing my carb intake. AI used to eat like 300-500g carbs per day, and I've brought that down to around 100g carbs per day and been staying at that, but the goal is 50g carbs per day.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member
 
Nancypie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Az
Posts: 137
Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Basically I eat meat, cheese, leafy greens, eggs, almond milk, olives, avocados, and sometimes a few nuts. For its hereditary, my grandma and ma ate the same way...
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
I bolded the symptoms that I had before going gluten free. add these also


slurred speech
falling over to one side
numbness in my midsection
arthritis so bad I could not feed myself at times
excessive sweating
macular degeneration has stopped progressing
my surgical scars (keloids) use to hurt and itch terribly all the time.
acne cysts

I had MRI'S,full thyroid blood panels,glucose monitoring, insulin resistance testing, blood tests for endocrine tumors and cardiac tests and not one of those Doctors could figure out what was causing my ill health. I did some internet searching on things that can cause my symptoms and came across gluten intolerance and it was like I wrote that list of symptoms. I have been completely healthy since going gluten free.. Try it, the worst thing that can happen is you get no relief the best thing is you can take back your health.
I find it amazing that you and others I have read about had the vast majority of their health woes go away when they stopped eating gluten. And I find it even more amazing and equally frustrating that doctors are clueless about this and even in denial about it. I have lost my faith in doctors and the entire system.

Regarding your list of symptoms, I see some similarities there to my own. I have been "clumsy" for years; sometimes I feel like I am "falling to one side" as you posted. I will bump into walls by accident and trip over things. And I believe I am starting to have some arthritis...I came back to post here because I've had such bad memory lately it's just insane. I will forget entire conversations that DH and I had the day before, or I'll forget to run an errand, etc. DH said that I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached. I think he's right. And it scares me.

P.S. Last night I had some durum semolina penne noodles with dinner...not a lot, probably 30-40 carb worth...but I feel terrible today and I can't get anything done at all. You might be right about that gluten.

But what also scares me is restricting my diet further than it already is. I feel like I'm boxing myself in to this impossible world of super limited choices. DH has started a LC diet recently to lose some weight and he makes it worse for us; he complains a lot that he feels boxed in too, like there's just hardly any choices out there. And he's picky. He wants a different thing each day to eat. Lots of variety.

Luckily I've been replacing glutenous foods with gluten-free ones for a few months now. I use almond flour in baking. Parm cheese instead of bread crumbs.

But here's the mystery: why do I feel this bad after eating rice, too? Rice is gluten-free. This makes it hard for me to tell if it's the gluten or the carbs that are hurting me.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!
 
MSN08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,296
Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
thyroid neuropathy??

See this thread that I recently posted in for some good info. Rice is another food that causes autoimmune attacks. The problem with Doctors is they only know treating not prevention so once we get to the stage of disease then they can "help" by medication. Functional Medicine Dr.s believe in finding what went wrong in our bodies and fixing it before the diseased state. Functional medicine Dr. I talked about in that thread believes any fasting glucose that is below 85 or higher than 99 means dysglycemia which is a problem with insulin and blood sugar management from an autoimmune condition. I hope you get your health figured out soon. Also once you start an autoimmune diet don't backslide it causes major setbacks and symptoms for as long as 6 months just from one bite of a food you react to. I kept thinking since I don't have any Dr.s proof that I shouldn't eat gluten then ill just have a meal once every now and then, I have learned the hard way it is not worth it.

Last edited by MSN08; 08-23-2013 at 03:11 PM..
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!
 
MSN08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,296
Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
If you feel so ill the quality of your life is suffering then you just have to make the choice to A. eat to sustain your life and feel well. and not have to take different medications to treat the slew of symptoms that can arrise from untreated autoimmune attacks including brain degeneration (which is already happening by proof of the motor skill difficulty and brain fog) So many options for food choices you can find recipes everywhere.
or B. keep eating foods that are slowly killing you and putting you on a fast track to disease and then take medication with a bunch of side effects for the rest of your life.

It just depends on how bad you want to feel well. And your DH probably wants you to feel well and live a long life with a healthy mind and body.

I have payed greatly for my breaks in healthy eating because of boredom and not wanting to eat so differently around others but its a lot less attention grabbing than having the coordination of an 86 year old woman (neurology test results) I am only 29! Just make the choice for health before too much damage is done. Right now is the time.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
thyroid neuropathy??

See this thread that I recently posted in for some good info. Rice is another food that causes autoimmune attacks.
This is the first time I've heard of this. Now I've got to look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
The problem with Doctors is they only know treating not prevention so once we get to the stage of disease then they can "help" by medication. Functional Medicine Dr.s believe in finding what went wrong in our bodies and fixing it before the diseased state. Functional medicine Dr. I talked about in that thread believes any fasting glucose that is below 85 or higher than 99 means dysglycemia which is a problem with insulin and blood sugar management from an autoimmune condition.
So could it be, then, that insulin resistance is caused by an autoimmune condition? If so, first time I'd heard this one too. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
I hope you get your health figured out soon. Also once you start an autoimmune diet don't backslide it causes major setbacks and symptoms for as long as 6 months just from one bite of a food you react to. I kept thinking since I don't have any Dr.s proof that I shouldn't eat gluten then ill just have a meal once every now and then, I have learned the hard way it is not worth it.
I don't know if I even CAN be on an autoimmune diet. What's left to eat? *sigh*

Last edited by Seeking; 08-23-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
untreated autoimmune attacks including brain degeneration (which is already happening by proof of the motor skill difficulty and brain fog)
I wish I had conclusive proof of this, because changing my diet radically (to an autoimmune diet) would require lots more time and money than my DH and I are already spending. We need a solid justification/proof of autoimmunity or he probably won't go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
So many options for food choices you can find recipes everywhere.
I have had a lot of difficulty with trying recipes on peoples' blogs; they often turn out bad and money spent on costly ingredients ends up going in the trash. I need only authoritative, proven recipes. Those are quite a bit harder to find using strictly autoimmune-proof ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
or keep eating foods that are slowly killing you and putting you on a fast track to disease and then take medication with a bunch of side effects for the rest of your life.
Definitely don't wanna do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
It just depends on how bad you want to feel well. And your DH probably wants you to feel well and live a long life with a healthy mind and body.
He does--but at what cost? We aren't rich. Seems like "standard" allergen-filled food costs $1/lb while healthier food options cost $4/lb or more. Where do people get the extra $3 from? That is a huge difference to make up. No one ever talks about that.

Example: White flour at the store: Less than $1/lb. Almond flour: $5.50/lb if you buy the 25 pound bag, otherwise more like $7/lb and up.

Example: Rice is just a few cents a pound, but fresh vegetables cost quite a bit more.

For rich people, the answer would be to buy fewer cars and houses, but for the average person who already has the cheapest car and the cheapest housing, they have nowhere else to take that money from...so they are gonna be stuck buying the cheapest unhealthiest allergenic foods and then medicating their conditions as they get more and more sick (if they are lucky enough to have access to health care that pays for those medications, otherwise they are just gonna get more and more sick while un-medicated).

I'm starting a garden very, very soon...groceries are just gonna be too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
I have payed greatly for my breaks in healthy eating because of boredom and not wanting to eat so differently around others but its a lot less attention grabbing than having the coordination of an 86 year old woman (neurology test results) I am only 29! Just make the choice for health before too much damage is done. Right now is the time.
I strongly suspect that many more people than we know are suffering from autoimmune problems to varying degrees and they don't know it either. My sister has Celiac and other problems. I have not yet been tested, but the rest of my family has, and they are not celiac.

Last edited by Seeking; 08-23-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,605
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
But here's the mystery: why do I feel this bad after eating rice, too? Rice is gluten-free. This makes it hard for me to tell if it's the gluten or the carbs that are hurting me.
Seems obvious to me, if rice makes you feel bad, then carbs are the problem. There are tons and tons of great tasting low carb recipes out there. I know you are an adventurous baker. If you are as interested in cooking as in baking you will have no problem finding many interesting, tasty low carb recipes if you look. You might try cookbooks instead of blogs, but even then I suppose there are no guarantees as everyone's tastes are different.

ETA: About the autoimmune thing, yes, insulin resistance and PCOS can be related to autoimmune issues. I know PCOS at least is also highly correlated with autoimmune thyroid problems.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 08-23-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,198
Gallery: watcher513
Seeking, there's a Direct Labs thyroid test through the end of August that's on a great sale. Best price I've ever seen. It's the Thyroid Panel, Special August Test of the Month, Free T3, Free T4 and TSH, for $69.00. I'd grab it if you can (online sign-up).

Also, they have a Vitamin D 25 hydroxy for $59. Doesn't say anything about a time limit for that one.

Last edited by watcher513; 08-30-2013 at 06:36 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Seeking, there's a Direct Labs thyroid test through the end of August that's on a great sale. Best price I've ever seen. It's the Thyroid Panel, Special August Test of the Month, Free T3, Free T4 and TSH, for $69.00. I'd grab it if you can (online sign-up).

Also, they have a Vitamin D 25 hydroxy for $59. Doesn't say anything about a time limit for that one.
Seems like everyone on this forum and another one I visit are telling me I probably have a thyroid problem. Thanks for the tip about that test, but I need one that also tests for the thyroid antibodies. The one I need is this one:

Thyroid Panel, Special Plus (TPO, TAA, T3 Free & T4 Free, and TSH) $159.00

I wonder (for anyone out there who knows all about thyroid problems), if I take this test and it comes up negative, is there still any chance I could have a thyroid problem?
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,605
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
Seems like everyone on this forum and another one I visit are telling me I probably have a thyroid problem. Thanks for the tip about that test, but I need one that also tests for the thyroid antibodies. The one I need is this one:

Thyroid Panel, Special Plus (TPO, TAA, T3 Free & T4 Free, and TSH) $159.00

I wonder (for anyone out there who knows all about thyroid problems), if I take this test and it comes up negative, is there still any chance I could have a thyroid problem?
Take a look at the thyroid forum here. Yes, it is possible you can have a thyroid problems even if these tests are in normal range. I have low T3 and high-normal TSH, along with positive TPO antibodies. Two doctors I have been two won't treat because my TSH is normal. I feel ok, so I'm fine with that for now, but my current doctor acknowledges my thyroid is likely to go hypo "someday".
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Take a look at the thyroid forum here. Yes, it is possible you can have a thyroid problems even if these tests are in normal range. I have low T3 and high-normal TSH, along with positive TPO antibodies. Two doctors I have been two won't treat because my TSH is normal. I feel ok, so I'm fine with that for now, but my current doctor acknowledges my thyroid is likely to go hypo "someday".
I'm no expert on thyroid by any stretch of the imagination, but if you have any thyroid antibodies at all, doesn't that mean that your body is attacking your thyroid? Isn't there a way to make it stop? What are you doing right now to prevent it from "going hypo someday?" Surely there's something that can be done. I don't accept doctors' standard response of "Just wait till it goes hypo" or "Here's some immuno-suppressants. Now go away."

There is a thyroid website I found and I'm gonna be spending some time there for a bit.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,605
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
I'm no expert on thyroid by any stretch of the imagination, but if you have any thyroid antibodies at all, doesn't that mean that your body is attacking your thyroid? Isn't there a way to make it stop? What are you doing right now to prevent it from "going hypo someday?" Surely there's something that can be done. I don't accept doctors' standard response of "Just wait till it goes hypo" or "Here's some immuno-suppressants. Now go away."

There is a thyroid website I found and I'm gonna be spending some time there for a bit.
I hear you, it's frustrating. I don't think there is anything that can be done to stop the progression as far as I can tell. Good news is I have been tested for a number of other autoimmune diseases (for another condition I have) and they all appear to be negative. I have couple other issues going on right now, so my thyroid results are on the back burner.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member
 
NineOhNine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 369
Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
Go to your library and request (or check out) Against All Grains. Her recipes are well-tested and reviewed. For a pizza recipe I can personally vouch for, Google Tom's Older Brother's Oldest Son's pizza. It gets rave reviews, and deservedly so.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Inconsistent results

I'm posting this update to my thread. When this all began, I said that going lower carb helped me feel better, which is true (or has been true up until lately). Going lower carb (from 300+ a day to 150 or less per day) gave me greater mental clarity, more energy, better moods, and made me feel "myself."

However, in the past 2 months I have had less consistent results. For example, sometimes I will feel a crash from eating a meal with only 30 or so carbs. Other times, I can eat a meal with 130+ carbs and feel fine with no crash either immediately or later on. My biggest question in this post is probably why I can have a crash after 30 or so carbs.

I have started taking 200mcg Chromium to see if it helps me. The results seem mixed. 2 days ago I ate a "stack" at Moe's and a cookie, which added up to around 150 carbs. I had a huge crash after that lasted for about 7 hours. I had taken 200 mcg Chromium about 5 hours prior to this but it obviously didn't help me.

Today, however, I ate a bowl of cereal which consisted of about 100 carbs and then some chocolate so I probably ate 150+ carbs within a 1 hour period. I took 200 mcg Chromium roughly 30 minutes after eating. I feel pretty good. I have mental clarity, energy, focus, and feel goal-driven.

So what's the deal here? Is the Chromium is helping me, but only if I take it within 1 hour of eating? I will need to test this further to find out.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member
 
Mom2AandE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 287
Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
You are "carb loading" and that is why you feel a crash. If you are going to eat carbs, you need to spread them out during the day.

I am also PCOS and now eat less than 30 carbs a day. I was feeling like you in the beginning but now feel so much better.

You really need to do Atkins induction style to get off the carbs. If you go super low, under 20-30, you will feel yucky for a few days (aka Keto Flu) as you detox from carbs. It is very similar to drug withdrawl. It is a step I highly recommend you do. When you have Keto flu you need to keep eating healthy fats and protein along with salt. Bone broth is the most recommended way of getting your salt requirements. You just drink a cup of chicken or beef broth and you feel so much better.

It really isn't that expensive to eat this way. You no longer buy all of the junk food and just focus on meat, cheese, low carb veggies.

I am seeing a doctor who specializes in PCOS and this is what she has me doing. I also don't eat any nuts because those can stall you as far as weight loss. I am now down 43 pounds in 4 months, and have lost the carb bloat and carb fog. Oh, one other reason that you could be having such "mental" issues is you could have sleep apnea.

Sleep Apnea is common in PCOS patients and can cause all sorts of mental fog. Losing the weight will for sure help with this. I use a cpap machine for my apnea and it makes a huge difference.
__________________
Jennifer
Mom2AandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
I'm gonna do Atkins January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AandE View Post
You are "carb loading" and that is why you feel a crash. If you are going to eat carbs, you need to spread them out during the day.

I am also PCOS and now eat less than 30 carbs a day. I was feeling like you in the beginning but now feel so much better.

You really need to do Atkins induction style to get off the carbs.
You're right; I've been thinking about Atkins for a few weeks now and I do believe I'm going to just do it. I'm gonna get the book and the cookbook. For about 2 weeks now I've been low-carbing, having 60 or less carbs a day, and I feel more "sharp" mentally than I have in a long time. I am experiencing some keto flu though for sure: muscle weakness, tiredness, wanting to sleep by 10pm instead of midnite, but lots more mental clarity. I'm gonna give this Atkins thing a serious run starting in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AandE View Post
If you go super low, under 20-30, you will feel yucky for a few days (aka Keto Flu) as you detox from carbs. It is very similar to drug withdrawl. It is a step I highly recommend you do. When you have Keto flu you need to keep eating healthy fats and protein along with salt. Bone broth is the most recommended way of getting your salt requirements. You just drink a cup of chicken or beef broth and you feel so much better.

It really isn't that expensive to eat this way. You no longer buy all of the junk food and just focus on meat, cheese, low carb veggies.
I've been doing that for about 2 weeks and it has definitely made a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2AandE View Post
I am seeing a doctor who specializes in PCOS and this is what she has me doing. I also don't eat any nuts because those can stall you as far as weight loss. I am now down 43 pounds in 4 months, and have lost the carb bloat and carb fog. Oh, one other reason that you could be having such "mental" issues is you could have sleep apnea.
I definitely don't have any sleep problems; I sleep hard and heavy and I barely snore. My husband gets to sleep 2 hours later than I do each night and he always tells me how hard I sleep.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Incapacitated

Yesterday and today I feel incapacitated. Muscle weakness, can't remember anything at all, can't think, tired, sleepy, fatigued, sad, depressed. DH doesn't trust me to drive. Was gonna run and get lunch for DH and I; he put $20 in my pocket. I went to the bathroom, came back and forgot he had put $20 in my pocket. He said ok no driving.

Last night: received email from family member that I have problems with, caused a lot of stress and negative emotions. Immediately broke down crying, sad, depressed, angry, tiredness started. Woke up this morning, symptoms continue.

Don't know what to do, can't think...maybe more going on here than just carbs...had about 85 carbs worth of chocolates last night a few hours before the email...don't think 84 carbs could do this to me...
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!
 
MSN08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,296
Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
Yesterday and today I feel incapacitated. Muscle weakness, can't remember anything at all, can't think, tired, sleepy, fatigued, sad, depressed. DH doesn't trust me to drive. Was gonna run and get lunch for DH and I; he put $20 in my pocket. I went to the bathroom, came back and forgot he had put $20 in my pocket. He said ok no driving.

Last night: received email from family member that I have problems with, caused a lot of stress and negative emotions. Immediately broke down crying, sad, depressed, angry, tiredness started. Woke up this morning, symptoms continue.

Don't know what to do, can't think...maybe more going on here than just carbs...had about 85 carbs worth of chocolates last night a few hours before the email...don't think 84 carbs could do this to me...
Think of it like this if you do have a blood sugar issue going on which seems so obvious to me, you are starving of at a cellular level your brain is essentially running on empty. I don't think you should play around with this any longer. Commit to low carb, do a food log to figure out your food intolerances and really stick to it for 1 week and see if you don't feel better. I started low carb again because I wasn't able to drive anymore and was depending on my DH or a taxi at times. I would stop at green lights and go on red, push the break instead of the gas and at times have to pull over and deal with the confusion of not even knowing why I was in the car or where I was going and just cry. Same in stores, suddenly I would feel so lost and nothing and no one could help me because I couldn't even remember what I needed or what I was doing. It was absolutely terrifying it felt like a paralysis where you are aware that you should be able to do something and there are words you are trying to say to get someone to help but your mind and body won't follow. I knew enough to know that I was having hypoglycemia unawareness and I was able to stumble to the check out to get a pepsi and sure enough my brain started working again but I knew that was only an emergency fix and that the long term fix was to start low carbing seriously and avoid the highs and lows altogether. I drove 2 hours on a road trip yesterday in heavy winter weather with no trouble thinking at all. Get serious about your health and really commit to healthy eating with no excuses and no veering and really see what it can do for you, If after you do this you still feel bad then don't give up it just means you need to keep tweaking to figure out what needs to change. I didn't feel better until I stopped trying to find a diagnosis and answers that didn't mean giving up foods I love and just took my health into my own hands. You can do it too. I will help in any way I can. Every time I see this thread come up I wonder if I started it because everything rings a bell to how I felt and it makes me sad that someone else is suffering how I was.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member
 
LAGril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 241
Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
Tough love coming, buckle your seatbelt. You need to take care of yourself and stop making excuses. You need to go get a full health exam and not just order piecemeal tests yourself. You need to adhere to a true low-carbohydrate diet and not eat 80 some grams of chocolate at a time.

I understand that money is tight. I understand that your husband likes variety in his meals. I understand that cutting carbs down to 20-30 per DAY -- not per meal -- is daunting. But, if you are having such debilitating health issues, you need to take serious action and quit pussyfooting around with your health and maybe your life.

Take care of yourself. No one else can or will. Good luck.
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
The reason I haven't started eating at 20-30 carbs per day is that it's just too expensive to do right now. Eating that low of carbs means buying more meat and more veggies--both of which are expensive. Beef prices keep going up. DH and I discussed it and we said we need to hold off before I go that LC in my diet.

Recently I've been a very bad girl, been eating desserts. I've experimented with protein and what I've discovered is that, when protein is incorporated into every meal I eat, I do better. I seem to get a lot less acne but the memory issues and fatigue and brain fog are still present.

DH said the other day, "I'd pay a lot of money to figure out exactly what is wrong with your health and why this happens to you." But we just moved and spent a lot of money remodeling the house. We are planning for July for thyroid testing.

At this point, after all the reading I've been doing, and consulting with doctors, I'm very deeply disappointed and even angry that I have not found the answer to my question: "Why do carbs cause brain fog, fatigue, memory loss, cognitive failure, and confusion?" And now, my new question: "Why does protein mediate some of the effects of carbs?" The answers that I find on the internet and from doctors are just guesses or conjectures, not solid science-based ones.

An email reply received from a naturopathic doctor said this: "Elevated levels of insulin leads to an increase production of tryptophan that enters the brain and becomes converted to serotonin. Serotonin controls the sleep/wake cycle and can cause extreme fatigue after eating carbs. This is only one reason why you may feel tired after eating a meal high in carbs. It may also be associated with the increase in inflammation as you mentioned. In addition, adrenal fatigue may also play a factor."

Ok so I have some new leads to look into, which I will do. But I'm tired of these new leads that end in maybes and inconclusive answers. I want a solid, final, clear answer.

I feel like a person who's sister was killed under mysterious circumstances and everyone is saying "oh it was a terrible accident, such a sad thing," but no one cares why, how, when, by whom it happened. No one cares about the details. Nothing to see here. Don't ask questions. Just move on.

Last edited by Seeking; 03-22-2014 at 12:11 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206
Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
I talked with hubby. He has agreed to the following tests next month, May 2014:

Thyroid Panel + Vitamins & Cortisol
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO)
Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody (TAA)
Free T3 & Free T4
Reverse T3
Vitamin D3 25 Hydroxy
Vitamin B12
Cortisol
Ferritin

Celiac Basic Panel: (sister has Celiac so I need to be tested)
tTG (anti-tissue transglutaminase)-IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP-IgG and DGP-IgA)
Total serum IgA

Am I missing anything important?

This is only happening because I found out how to get them for half off. Hubby made me agree to the following: He pays $300 max, I pay if it goes over that, and he's not paying for any more testing for 2 years after this. He thinks that these tests are not totally necessary and that I am on an "endless quest for tests." Sigh.

Last edited by Seeking; 04-15-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 198
Gallery: nanoparty!
I'm a little wary of those telling you the only answer to straight up eat less than 20-30 carbs per day. Here's the thing. If this IS PCOS, which we don't even know yet, you'll learn that it's more a collection of symptoms than any specific disease; that's why you could meet 50 people with PCOS and find 50 different diets/lifestyles that work best for them.

I don't count how many carbs I eat per day - I just don't eat grains/starch/anything too high in sugars, so I do define myself as low carb. I have PCOS and insulin resistance and this seems to be working pretty well for me. I doubt I'm as low as 20-30 carbs per day.

So if you DO decide do try that out, you can use Atkins as a tool and see how it works for you. If it doesn't seem to be making a difference, or is taking an EMOTIONAL toll/causing stress, you will find something else that works, too! I think your main issue now is all the random "tests" you're doing by loading up on chocolate and grain-based cereals, etc. Of course you feel like crap after that. Which you knew you would.
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.