Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
You may very well be right. You are not the only one on this forum and others who thinks that I may have PCOS. Do you know if there is an at-home test I can to to test my insulin level similar to the way I'm testing my blood glucose levels?

You are definitely right about carbs, but the jury is still out regarding wheat. I'm still in the testing phase with gluten.
As far as I know there isn't but I'm not an expert. I have always had a blood test. If you ask about it on the Diabetes subforum someone there may know better.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Okira
Stats: 223/181/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August, 2005
How old are you? It sounds like perimenopause.
Okira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okira View Post
How old are you? It sounds like perimenopause.
I'm 28 so I know it has nothing to do with menopause.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
I'm 28 so I know it has nothing to do with menopause.
Don't be so sure. My best friend was perimenopausal in her late 20's, menopause in her early 30's. My niece also was perimenopausal at 30 and menopausal by 32.

It's no longer something that happens just to women in their 50's and 60's.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Don't be so sure. My best friend was perimenopausal in her late 20's, menopause in her early 30's. My niece also was perimenopausal at 30 and menopausal by 32.

It's no longer something that happens just to women in their 50's and 60's.
Holy cow, how can I find out if that's happening to me then?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
Just look for the symptoms. My friend was on the pill so she was having periods although short ones. Then she started having spotting so the dr. changed the pills she was taking. She started having hot flashes, she described them as being like hot from deep inside out. She would sweat when everyone else was cold. She always had a fan blowing on her.

Here's some good info on premature menopause.

She begged her doctor to test her but since she was only 30 the dr. told her she was too young to be in menopause. She finally went to another dr. and they did the test. Sure enough, she was going through menopause. Had to start on hormones.

My niece had always had "female" problems. She was getting married and wanted to get pregnant right away so the dr. ran a bunch of tests and come to find out she was in menopause. She started immediately doing hormone treatments so they could try IVF with donor eggs and she just gave birth to lovely twins, a boy and a girl!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Just look for the symptoms. My friend was on the pill so she was having periods although short ones. Then she started having spotting so the dr. changed the pills she was taking. She started having hot flashes, she described them as being like hot from deep inside out. She would sweat when everyone else was cold. She always had a fan blowing on her.

Here's some good info on premature menopause.
I never have hot flashes or vaginal dryness problems. Pretty sure it's not a menopause issue.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pixiechick
Stats: 193/183/150 5'3" age 52
Start Date: Nov.1999 Re-Induct April 20th, 2009
I'm reading a book "' Wheat Belly' by William Davis MD".
It would be a good idea for you to read it. It will immediately open your eyes as to the effects Wheat has on our bodies.
I bought it at Costco for $9.99
I'll never eat wheat again.
pixiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiechick View Post
I'm reading a book "' Wheat Belly' by William Davis MD".
It would be a good idea for you to read it. It will immediately open your eyes as to the effects Wheat has on our bodies.
I bought it at Costco for $9.99
I'll never eat wheat again.
I'm reading that book right now; got it on Amazon a few weeks ago. I am still waiting for the author to identify which specific gliadins are known epitopes for celiac and other gluten sensitivities and then compare the gliadins of einkorn and emmer with the gliadins of modern dwarf wheat. Not gonna hold my breath though; I don't think he's gonna do it. And the studies he references do not mention this specific thing either.

That's the kind of proof I need; though I have also been shying away from wheat these days. I think that something is wrong with it but I need solid proof right in front of me to believe the book's specific claims and he has not yet delivered.

No harm in experimenting with gluten-free flours though. Almond flour is very low carb so I'm going to be buying some soon.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's the kind of proof I need; though I have also been shying away from wheat these days. I think that something is wrong with it but I need solid proof right in front of me to believe the book's specific claims and he has not yet delivered.

No harm in experimenting with gluten-free flours though. Almond flour is very low carb so I'm going to be buying some soon.
I think the proof will be how you feel when you stop eating sugar, grains and other starchy foods. Keep in mind not all gluten-free flours are low carb. Almond flour is good, but it hurts my stomach when I eat too much at one time.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think the proof will be how you feel when you stop eating sugar, grains and other starchy foods. Keep in mind not all gluten-free flours are low carb. Almond flour is good, but it hurts my stomach when I eat too much at one time.

Many gluten free products are much higher in carbs. I'm very self centered when it comes to Research. I only trust the studies that I have done on yours truly. You can give me all the data you want but my body has its' own ideas about what is and isn't healthy.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
If your doctor or gyno is familiar with PCOS, you may be able to get him/her to treat you to see if it helps the symptoms without going into extensive testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqt1981 View Post
In my state (Michigan) uninsured women of child bearing years qualify for free family planning insurance. This coverage covers annual gynecological visit and birth control. You should look into whether your state has similar options.

I would look into PCOS.
Update: Demoralized by the doctor

Note: I do not have insurance; I am covered by a Medicaid program that only covers birth control and annual exams.

Anyway, ever since switching from Depo Provera to Lo Loestrin Fe back in September 2012, I've been tracking my periods carefully. I've developed a cycle that is 2 weeks long, so I went to see the gyno today. She dismissed the problem, saying that she thought it was just my body "getting used to" the Lo Loestrin Fe. This is the same doctor I saw back in Sept that recommend LLFe to me.

This was slam #1.

I told her that I am concerned about it possibly being related to PCOS and I asked her if she thought I had PCOS. I had showed her my list of other symptoms in my OP. She said she wouldn't worry about PCOS right now; she doesn't think I have it.

This was slam #2.

I pressed on, as I always do. After all, this is the only access I get to a gyno without paying hundreds of dollars out of pocket. I asked her what the prices were for testing for PCOS because the main office didn't want to bother quoting me, and at this point she mentioned that this went beyond the scope of the visit, as if to let me know that she was doing me a favor out of the goodness of her heart or something. But it didn't feel like that to me; that felt like a threat to make me pay for the visit.

This was slam #3.

She produced a list of the tests she would normally request for a patient whom she suspects has PCOS; the list has the prices of the various tests on it. Great, at least I got something useful out of the visit.

After the visit, I came home and cried a little. I felt horrible (still feel horrible). By the tone of her voice, her body language, and type of replies to my questions, she made me feel less important than her other patients; she made me feel like I was stealing her time away from her. Yep, I'm sure that there was someone in the next room who was fully insured and who had a much more obvious and easy to diagnose problem just waiting to be written up an expensive prescription...I'm just a waste of time...

My symptoms are not as important. The fact that I feel chronic fatigue, depression, hypoglycemia symptoms, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, etc, none of that is as important as the next patient who is fully covered. Oh and it's certainly not PCOS; nope. Not even worth considering that it could be PCOS, and exploring that possibility is a time waster too.

Last edited by Seeking; 02-01-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

More test results

I have done further labwork and here are the results:

February 6, 2013 Results:
Fasting Insulin: 12.8 uIU/mL (range: 2.6-24.9)
Glucose, serum: 85 (range: 65-99)
Triglycerides: 69mg/dL (range: 0-149)
HDL Cholesterol: 44mg/dL (range: >39)
VLDL Cholesterol calculation: 14mg/dL (range: 5-40)
LDL Cholesterol: 114mg/dL (range: 0-99)
Total Cholesterol: 172mg/dL (range: 100-199)
Iron, Serum: 70ug/dL (range: 35-155)

There are quite a bit more that I had done but I don't want to type them all.
To the mods: Am I allowed to post my test results (while cropping away all my personal information, of course)? I would like to post them in an image file or as a link so that everyone can view them.

I am having a difficult time finding information about specific fasting insulin levels out there on the internet; does anyone know of some authoritative literature I can read that discusses specific insulin values and their corresponding meanings?

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have done further labwork and here are the results:

February 6, 2013 Results:
Fasting Insulin: 12.8 uIU/mL (range: 2.6-24.9)
Glucose, serum: 85 (range: 65-99)
Triglycerides: 69mg/dL (range: 0-149)
HDL Cholesterol: 44mg/dL (range: >39)
VLDL Cholesterol calculation: 14mg/dL (range: 5-40)
LDL Cholesterol: 114mg/dL (range: 0-99)
Total Cholesterol: 172mg/dL (range: 100-199)
Iron, Serum: 70ug/dL (range: 35-155)

There are quite a bit more that I had done but I don't want to type them all.
To the mods: Am I allowed to post my test results (while cropping away all my personal information, of course)? I would like to post them in an image file or as a link so that everyone can view them.

I am having a difficult time finding information about specific fasting insulin levels out there on the internet; does anyone know of some authoritative literature I can read that discusses specific insulin values and their corresponding meanings?

Thanks again guys!
I'm not up to date on any internet resources but your fasting numbers look pretty good. I know some people who have had to do a 2 or 3 hour glucose tolerance test with insulin levels to check for insulin resistance. I know insulin to glucose ratios are also important. Did you have any testing for androgens done (testosterone and/or related hormones)?

Here's one article I found, though it is from a few years ago: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9709933 If you click through some of the related citations you'll find a lot of relevant articles.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 02-07-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not up to date on any internet resources but your fasting numbers look pretty good. I know some people who have had to do a 2 or 3 hour glucose tolerance test with insulin levels to check for insulin resistance. I know insulin to glucose ratios are also important. Did you have any testing for androgens done (testosterone and/or related hormones)?

Here's one article I found, though it is from a few years ago: A fasting glucose to insulin ratio i... [J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI If you click through some of the related citations you'll find a lot of relevant articles.
Thanks for that link; that really got me going and look what I found as a result:

"Use and Abuse of HOMA Modeling" by TARA M. WALLACE, MD; JONATHAN C. LEVY, MD; DAVID R. MATTHEWS, MD

"Homeostatic model assessment (HOMA) is a method for assessing beta-cell function and insulin resistance (IR) from basal (fasting) glucose and insulin or C-peptide concentrations. It has been reported in 500 publications, 20 times more frequently for the estimation of IR than beta-cell function."

I downloaded their HOMA calculator, version 2.2.2, which was developed by the University of Oxford's Diabetes Trials Unit. Click here to download their calculator.

To use their calculator correctly, they require that all units must be in plasma, not serum. So I converted my serum glucose (85) to plasma glucose (94.3) and entered the numbers.

According to their calculator, my beta cell function is at 122.7%, my insulin sensitivity is at only 60.0% and my insulin resistance index number is 1.7. According to their documentation, a healthy subject would have their beta cell function at 100%, their insulin sensitivity at 100%, and their insulin resistance index at 1.

This is a pretty good start for finding out exactly what my insulin and glucose numbers mean...

Oh and while I was at it I found another way of checking insulin resistance:

Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index, or QUICKI

"The quantitative insulin sensitivity check index (QUICKI) is derived using the inverse of the sum of the logarithms of the fasting insulin and fasting glucose:

1 divided by [log(fasting insulin µU/mL) + log(fasting glucose mg/dL)]

"This index correlates well with glucose clamp studies (r = 0.78), and is useful for measuring insulin sensitivity (IS), which is the inverse of insulin resistance (IR). It has the advantage of that it can be obtained from a fasting blood sample, and is the preferred method for certain types of clinical research."

Source for this method is:
Katz A, Nambi SS, Mather K, Baron AD, Follmann DA, Sullivan G, Quon MJ. Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Jul;85(7):2402-10. PMID 10902785

Also: "Values typically associated with the QUICKI calculation for insulin resistance in humans fall broadly within a range between 0.45 for unusually healthy individuals and 0.30 in diabetics. So lower numbers reflect greater insulin resistance."

I calculated mine; it was 0.324; this is much closer to the diabetic end of the spectrum. Wow.

Last edited by Seeking; 02-08-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Wow is right, glad you were able to calculate all that out. Seems like the calculations are much more informative than the raw numbers.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Thyroid...

I just got my insulin, glucose and a lot of other low-cost but important tests run via DirectLabs (LabCorp) for under $60 and I know now that I have mild to intermediate insulin resistance. However, many of you suggested I also look into thyroid problems, which I have determined is a good idea. But it looks like the price will be beyond reach. DirectLabs has the following tests:

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO) ($49)
Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody (TAA) ($49)
Free T3 & Free T4 ($94)
Total T3 and Total T4 (no test found for this)
Vitamin D3 (Vitamin D 1,25 Dihydroxy) ($149) (is this right?????)
Vitamin B12 ($59)
Ferritin ($49)
--------------------------------------
Total without a discount: $449

A few comments:
1. Major ouch. I can't afford that, at least not all at once.
2. I can't seem to figure out which of the two vitamin D tests is D3; one test is considerably cheaper than the one I've posted, but again, don't know which one is D3.
3. I can't find a test for total T4 and Total T3.
4. DirectLabs will combine the above-mentioned tests and give me a discount, but it won't be like half off or anything like that.

Questions:
1. Which ones listed above can I cut out while still getting a really good idea of whether or not I have a thyroid issue? My TSH and T4 back in October 2012 were within normal range.
2. Is there a universal test that can determine with a good degree of accuracy whether I have any autoimmune disease? What about high-sensitivity C Reactive Protein (hs-CRP)?

I imagine that any thyroid numbers I get back from the lab will be easier to interpret than a fasting insulin number. There's just not that much info out there on fasting insulin numbers, and the limited studies that have been done which have included fasting insulin as a measured number state that A1C and fasting glucose numbers are more meaningful because they (so far) seem to correlate better with pre-diabetes and diabetes.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Seeking; 02-14-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Seeking- have you posted in the Thyroid section on LCF? There are some really smart peeps there. They might have suggestions on where to test.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
Seeking- have you posted in the Thyroid section on LCF? There are some really smart peeps there. They might have suggestions on where to test.
Ok I'll try posting there. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
If you have PCOS you would get some relief from taking birth control, which I notice you said your plan covers... I would see if you could go to a Planned Parenthood or similar place, and tell them your concerns. Tell them you'd like some birth control and you should be able to get that for free. I have PCOS myself, and the ultrasound is completely unnecessary for diagnosis. Most people don't know that you can actually have PCOS and NOT have any ovarian cysts!

Both me and my girlfriend are on birth control for PCOS symptoms, and we've both had a lot of success on it. It's worth a shot I think, since a lot of your symptoms really do sound similar to PCOS and it'd be free for you (or at most a few dollars I'd assume) for the medicine.

That's just my two cents though... I'm rooting for something like PCOS and NOT hypothyroidism because I have both, and that's definitely NOT easy or cheap to test for or treat Good luck to you!!
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
If you have PCOS you would get some relief from taking birth control, which I notice you said your plan covers... I would see if you could go to a Planned Parenthood or similar place, and tell them your concerns. Tell them you'd like some birth control and you should be able to get that for free. I have PCOS myself, and the ultrasound is completely unnecessary for diagnosis. Most people don't know that you can actually have PCOS and NOT have any ovarian cysts!

Both me and my girlfriend are on birth control for PCOS symptoms, and we've both had a lot of success on it. It's worth a shot I think, since a lot of your symptoms really do sound similar to PCOS and it'd be free for you (or at most a few dollars I'd assume) for the medicine.

That's just my two cents though... I'm rooting for something like PCOS and NOT hypothyroidism because I have both, and that's definitely NOT easy or cheap to test for or treat Good luck to you!!
I have been on lo loestrin fe for at least 6 months now. And before that I was on depo provera; never going back to depo again. All of this information and much more is already posted in my OP...
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Seeking, I have just started the book "the diabetes miracle" by Diane Kress. She also wrote "The Metabolism Miracle". There is a thread under "other" diet plans, for it. Anyway, all your symptoms are what she describes as Met B. The book is fantastic as far as telling how your body responds to carbs and insulin release. Met B if not controlled turns into pre-diabetes which if not controlled turns into diabetes 2. I highly recommend this book to all, especially if you are struggling with weight loss or blood sugar issues. Good luck!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haferchamp View Post
Seeking, I have just started the book "the diabetes miracle" by Diane Kress. She also wrote "The Metabolism Miracle". There is a thread under "other" diet plans, for it. Anyway, all your symptoms are what she describes as Met B. The book is fantastic as far as telling how your body responds to carbs and insulin release. Met B if not controlled turns into pre-diabetes which if not controlled turns into diabetes 2. I highly recommend this book to all, especially if you are struggling with weight loss or blood sugar issues. Good luck!
Thanks for that tip. I will look into it
Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I have not yet done any further testing, but perhaps I should start thinking about it soon. Probably thyroid testing.

Over the past few months over lower-carbing (under 100g per day normally, sometimes more though), I have been experiencing overall better health and reduced symptoms. However, I am still experiencing memory loss that is far too advanced for my age. I am 28 years old and at times I will forget my own name, though that happens rarely now.

Today I forgot a very important item at home and had to go back to get it. Then on the way back to work I forgot to run an errand I had decided to do just 10 minutes before.

This really worries me and I think it is pointing to a medical problem. Can thyroid problems cause memory loss in women my age? If not, what else can it be?

I talked with my fiance about this and he said he thinks that it is happening because I cheated on my low-carb WOE by eating two large slices of pizza the day before yesterday and I have been forgetful ever since. Maybe it's as simple as that.

Last edited by Seeking; 04-13-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have not yet done any further testing, but perhaps I should start thinking about it soon. Probably thyroid testing.

Over the past few months over lower-carbing (under 100g per day normally, sometimes more though), I have been experiencing overall better health and reduced symptoms. However, I am still experiencing memory loss that is far too advanced for my age. I am 28 years old and at times I will forget my own name, though that happens rarely now.

Today I forgot a very important item at home and had to go back to get it. Then on the way back to work I forgot to run an errand I had decided to do just 10 minutes before.

This really worries me and I think it is pointing to a medical problem. Can thyroid problems cause memory loss in women my age? If not, what else can it be?

I talked with my fiance about this and he said he thinks that it is happening because I cheated on my low-carb WOE by eating two large slices of pizza the day before yesterday and I have been forgetful ever since. Maybe it's as simple as that.
Glad some things are getting better for you. One thing to keep in mind is it is hard to tell if low carbing will truly eliminate the issues you are having until you truly go low carb, not just "lower" carb. I would say 50 g a day max, though it might be a good idea for you to try induction level carbs for a couple of weeks (20 g a day) and work your way up, Atkins style. There are ways to make anything low carb, including pizza. But if you are eating high carb foods and still experiencing medical issues you can't say if the medical issues are from the carbs or something else. If you do strict LC for say a month and are still having memory issues it would be worth getting checked out by a doctor. I don't know if memory issues are related to low thyroid - maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Brain fog can be caused by many things. The first thing most doctor's of aging patients check for is low B-12. I don't remember if you ever had this tested. Stess and lack of sleep can also be a huge contributor. Now that the weater is warming up are you getting in the sun for a good 10-15 minutes? It's amazing what some sort of good physical activity in the sun can do also. Are you on a good Magnesium supplement?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:

did you do the gluten free trial? Reading your post makes me feel like I stumbled onto one of my own from before I got well.

Last edited by MSN08; 04-14-2013 at 12:17 AM..
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
I had the same symptoms and thought it was thyroid too. Have you read up on insulin resistance. It's a precursor to diabetes, so right now you are making too much insulin and its not doing its job basically. Wheat, including by products, some artificial sweeteners etc all trigger insulin responses, that's why the diet for IR is low carb, basically. Try getting rid of all starches and low carb it. You might feel better just from that. I am insulin resistant too and went low carb but didn't cut out the artificial sweeteners and didn't see a huge response but after I cut AS, it have much more energy, losing weight etc... Just sharing my story, hope it helps, and saves you some cash.
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I lost weight!

Quote:
Glad some things are getting better for you. One thing to keep in mind is it is hard to tell if low carbing will truly eliminate the issues you are having until you truly go low carb, not just "lower" carb. I would say 50 g a day max, though it might be a good idea for you to try induction level carbs for a couple of weeks (20 g a day) and work your way up, Atkins style. There are ways to make anything low carb, including pizza. But if you are eating high carb foods and still experiencing medical issues you can't say if the medical issues are from the carbs or something else. If you do strict LC for say a month and are still having memory issues it would be worth getting checked out by a doctor. I don't know if memory issues are related to low thyroid - maybe someone else will chime in.
I know that you are right. I am slowly getting there by making permanent life changes and I keep feeling better and better. Since that night that I cheated on my low-carb WOE I have been eating far better and haven't cheated. I will continue to reduce my carb consumption because every time I cheat, I have very obvious symptoms and it's becoming more and more obvious that carbs are the cause of either all or most of my problems.

Eventually I will be down to 50g carbs or fewer per day. I am definitely not intending to go on a "diet," but am gradually changing my WOE to permanent low-carb so that I never end up with diabetes.

This morning I found out I had lost weight! I don't have a scale, but I put on a pair of pants and shirt I had bought 2 years ago and they were loose! Loose to the point where the pants barely fit me anymore! And that shirt used to be really snug, and now it fits right. Woohoo! And it's amazing how much my face clears up when I'm doing low-carb. I have zero zits when low-carbing, but when I cheat, I break out on my nose and sometimes chin. Been watching this pattern closely over the past few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
did you do the gluten free trial? Reading your post makes me feel like I stumbled onto one of my own from before I got well.
I have not yet done the gluten-free trial, but I don't eat gluten that much anymore. I basically never eat bread. Eventually I will be completely gluten-free and low-carb at the same time; slowly getting there. I do feel a lot better though when I eat less gluten, but that may be due to the carbs that come with gluten, rather than just the gluten itself.

I really should just buckle down and do zero gluten but medium carbs for a month and see how that effects me...
Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post

Many gluten free products are much higher in carbs. I'm very self centered when it comes to Research. I only trust the studies that I have done on yours truly. You can give me all the data you want but my body has its' own ideas about what is and isn't healthy.

I test negative for ANY gluten sensitivity and celiac, and yet. I get very sick when I eat wheat and other gluten containing foods. I made a mistake two days ago, and ate pizza with my sister. (thinking I had been such a good girl and two slices wouldn't kill me).
Within a couple hours, I had a rash on one arm, brain fog and hard time concentrating, fuzzy vision, the pain in my feet got worse, my knee (which has been doing really well) swelled up. My dandruff came back (gone for months now), Gastrointestinal distress, 3 zits, and headaches.

If I continued to eat wheat, the list would only get larger.

Gluten is in a lot of things, it's kind of crazy what I find it in sometimes. I think the celiac.org has a good listing somewhere of everything that contains gluten and the different names in can be called in an ingredients list. At this point, I am even sensitive to the gluten in oats, which I used to tolerate.

Gluten sensitivity can cause vitamin malabsorbtion, especially B-vits, which leads to it's own set of problems, and on your original list of symptoms, many of them are symptoms of b vit deficiency. And just taking a B supplement doesn't necessarily help unless you stop eating gluten as well, according to my doc.

My sensitivity manifested in my mid 20s and has only gotten worse in the last 10 years or so.

I would really recommend trying a period of strict gluten free. Keep a daily log of your symptoms to compare even. Especially since you have very limited access to doctors, and it sounds like your local community clinic doesn't work well for you. If they have another Doc there, you might want to try that. (I don't know how small an area you live in). Sometimes you have to just try different things, and see what happens for yourself.

I am also going to mention that I absolutely cannot take birth control. It makes me a MESS. I can't even use the mirena IUD. the small amount of hormone on them mess me up pretty badly.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote