Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   LCarb Doctor says Statins can cause fibromyalgia (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/792202-lcarb-doctor-says-statins-can-cause-fibromyalgia.html)

CarolynF 12-28-2012 12:46 PM

LCarb Doctor says Statins can cause fibromyalgia

Just wanted to share this. She is an amazing LC Dr. and "gets" it all. She says the rise in peeps taking statins directly relates to the rise in fibromyalgia.

I'm sure there are other reasons peeps get fibro, but I thought this was interesting..

debkeversole 12-28-2012 12:53 PM

i believe it!

gotsomeold 12-29-2012 05:46 AM

You have a doctor who does not just parrot the party line? I bet she even looks for cause and tries to cure instead of just treating symptoms. I am green with envy!

After some of the things I have seen statins do to family and friends, I was betting on this one.

cfine 12-29-2012 11:14 AM

I am SO against statins, but because of various things in my family history and some bloodwork that came back REALLY bad(not my cholesterol,btw) my doctor really wanted me to try a statin. I decided that I would just take it every other day. By the second week I could barely move my whole body hurt so bad. I already have fibro and the statin just made it 100 times worse. I will not take another one.

DiamondDeb 12-29-2012 02:24 PM

Statins are evil. I don't doubt they can lead to it. Sugar probably can, too.

Based on my own experience, I'd say that wheat also causes fibromyalgia because mine went away completely when I cut all wheat/grains.

LindaD 12-29-2012 02:42 PM

Interesting...my Dr. wanted me to go on them...and I convinced him I was going to try to lower my bad cholesterol with diet...we will revisiot this in 6 months.....hope the bloodwork is better.
I think if it is not...I will still say NO to statins.

gymnut56 01-02-2013 10:24 AM

Very interesting and I'm sure she's right.

Boy, I wish my doctor 'got it'. It seems they are far and few between.

Mary

Mazella09 01-02-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaD (Post 16158951)
Interesting...my Dr. wanted me to go on them...and I convinced him I was going to try to lower my bad cholesterol with diet...we will revisiot this in 6 months.....hope the bloodwork is better.
I think if it is not...I will still say NO to statins.

Just make sure what BAD is. Its the RATIO that tells the tale. There are benefits to a somewhat HIGHER number. Especially for your BRAIN!

It's funny. Cholesterol levels were lowered to usher in a new lowering drug way back when. Lovastatin. Then lowered AGAIN in 2004 to very unhealthy and unrealistic levels. The money coming in from them was astounding. The drug makers began their close relationships to doctors, the media and then many medical organizations.

I heard its INFLAMMATION, not cholesterol that's the killer. Chlorinated water does more harm than cholesterol, I have read.

I was handed a script for one of them because of my age. By a very esteemed doctor at a highly ranked teaching hospital. Just because. I threw it away.
My soon to be ex has been taking them for years and he looks/feels awful. He is in constant pain. Can't remember a THING! UG. No thanks. Once you are on them for awhile - I have heard it is difficult-you can't get off of them. Ask for a different antifungal maybe diflucan or nystatin, instead.

:dunno: