Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Constant Sinus Infections

Does anybody have any suggestion for me? I have had two rounds of antibiotics (z-pack and smz-tmp) and I still can't kick this. For me, it manifests in horrible upper left tooth pain and pain in my left lower jaw (maxillary sinus), usually started by allergies. I can't eat or chew without pain, horribly sensitive to temperature. Dentist says teeth are fine. I don't have gross green mucous or the typical symptoms--just horrid pain primarily on the left.

I do sinus rinses, I use steroid spray (although I notice that flonase gives me headaches) and I still have a sub-crisis infection. I guess I can go back to the doc and try something else, and I will have to do that if it flares horribly, but do any of you have any other suggestions?
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I suffered from Sinus infections most of my adult life. I switched nasal sprays every few years and was on daily meds to keep it at bay. I had allergy testing and did the drops daily for a few years.

The main thing that has helped me is giving up dairy. I don't take any meds now. If I eat dairy I can feel the congestion the next day. And get that bad pain in my teeth.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Colloidal silver spray for your nose might help. Also, oregano oil pills may help. I don't think that antibiotics are a good long term solution. I used to have chronic sinus infections and I found by neti pot, silver spray, and when I thought I was going to have a sinus infection Oregano Pills and lot of them. I also moved to an area where there are less allergies and I see a chiropractor to help with my allergies - they yank the crap out of your ears but it helps (or at least helps me)
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sya--how many oregano pills at a time? I do have some. I will look into colloidal silver spray
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Ouizoid, I went through my pantry and found the nasal spray that worked so great for me. It is called Omnaris. Before that I was on Vancenase and it worked great. Doc took me off after a few years. The Flonase and Nasonex also gave me headaches and nose bleeds.

I would get a 2nd opinion on that tooth. I had such pain for several years with a back tooth. Every time I had the dentist check he said it was fine and it must be my sinuses.

Sinus Doc said it was tooth. Back and forth for a few years. One day the roof of my mouth swelled to the size of an egg. The pain was horrible. Went to dentist and he x-rayed, said all was fine. When he looked at the roof of my mouth he said "Nope, there is an infection." Of course, this had to happen when I was without Dental Insurance. I had the tooth pulled. He said there was alot of old infection there. I had been treating it with anti-biotics for the sinuses and it would calm down.

I only see a dentist that specializes with root canals for my back teeth now.

I do beleive that all the anti-biotics that I was on for this, combined with heavy steroids for my back did a number on my gut flora. Truthfully, very low carb was also a contributor. I've gotten everything in line this past year but it has been a learning experience.

Sinus stuff sucks!
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snickygirl
WOE: Atkins
Have you been to an ENT? I had sinus problems for many years and they didn't stop until I went to an ENT who (after the series of antibiotics, nasal sprays, etc.) took xrays.

My sinuses weren't draining correctly and therefore nothing else was really ever going to work. I eventually had surgery (outpatient) to open up my sinuses. It was the best thing I ever did. My problems cleared up right away.

I hope you can find an easier solution, but an ENT may be able to help.

Good luck in finding what works for you.
Snickygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks for the help all. I may end up going the ENT route as this is a problem that doesn't resolve. I have really not wanted surgery, as I have known a few people who had sinus surgery that created more problems than it solved, but it may be inevitable.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Meowser
Stats: 164/153/150
WOE: Lower carb & "Eating clean"
Start Date: 1/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickygirl View Post
Have you been to an ENT? I had sinus problems for many years and they didn't stop until I went to an ENT who (after the series of antibiotics, nasal sprays, etc.) took xrays.

My sinuses weren't draining correctly and therefore nothing else was really ever going to work. I eventually had surgery (outpatient) to open up my sinuses. It was the best thing I ever did. My problems cleared up right away.

I hope you can find an easier solution, but an ENT may be able to help.

Good luck in finding what works for you.
This. Exactly. For my husband. He regularly had sinus infections that took 3 rounds of antibiotics to cure. Eventually he got sent to an ENT who took x-rays and determined that one sinus was completely blocked. Totally incapable of draining. And that was when DH felt "fine"! The ENT diagnosed him with a chronic sinus infection (which lasted for about 10 years). Eventually surgery to drain the sinus combined with an allergist and allergy treatment solved his major problems. However, he will always have on-going sinus issues. His surgery was 5 years ago and he's had 2 infections since then. The first was cured with only 1 course of antibiotics. The 2nd was more recent and took longer. The effects of the surgery may be wearing off (they were only able to clear his totally blocked sinus; he had others that were partially blocked that they didn't have time to drain.)

The most amazing thing? When DH got out of surgery, he was amazed how well he could breathe. And that was when he still had the packing from the surgery in! He had had no idea that his version of "normal breathing" for 10 years, was no where near normal.

Please see an ENT. They know so much more about sinuses than GPs. The ENT can also determine what is causing your sinus infections. Apparently many sinus infections are actually fungal - not bacterial. Which means antibiotics won't work. DH's ENT was great and very honest and clear about what to expect and how long his surgery would be effective for (it was NOT a lifetime cure).
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

meowser--I suspect mine are also fungal as I start having headaches and a sense of swollen blockage as soon as the humidity goes up or it is raining, and I know that is likely a fungal ball. grr. ok, I will ask for a referral to an ENT.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Something that has helped me when I was desperate was to do a sinus flush using a cup of warm water with a drop of betadine added. After a few flushes with that, I actually expelled a fungal ball about the size of a marble. For more regular use, a drop of baby shampoo in saline solution has been useful to keep an infection from getting established (dissolves the biofilm).

Googling sinus irrigation betadine brings up some good links.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
What kind of sinus rinse are you using? If it is just saline, I heartily recommend adding an equal portion of baking soda. Baking soda changes the PH in my sinus which seems to keep bacteria from being able to set up housekeeping.

Force fluids, as in water. Add lots of spices to low sodium chicken broth (bone broth is best), put it in a warm thermos and sip it all day. In desperation, try taking guaifenesin. If you are not always looking for the ladies room, you are not flushing your system.

Use coconut oil to oil pull several times a day.

See an ENT!!!! All that above helps me keep sinus infection away (I used to be a pro) ... but it does not always cure if I get lazy and let one get started.

As said above - sinus infection/impaction can cause tooth pain. Dental problems can also cause tooth pain.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you guys are so helpful!

Nancy--I am a bone broth nut, and am also an oil puller. I will start with the baking soda asap!

Solarpluvia--running out for betadine NOW.

The toothpain is bad. If I tap on the tooth, no pain, but if I push on the tooth or try and chew, PAIN. Comes and goes. Last night I had the radiating pain down in my lower jaw and the temperature sensitivity. This morning, not so much. It is the stupid weekend with the stupid holiday on M-T, so I think I will hold off on calling the doc til the 2nd.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

'zoid, do you do sinus rinses with the netti pot or squeegee bottle? Cause if you have a water pic, you can make a sinus irrigator. Waaay beyond what the rinses do. Run a few internet searches.

Oh, and if what you have is a sinus infection, prepare to be disgusted by what comes out.

Decades ago, back when I had 5 or 6 major sinus infections each year, a friend had sinus surgery. His doctor instructed him to do the irrigation dance two or three times a day. He told me about it, I bought a water pic on the way home that night, and pretty much never looked back.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
A facial massage might help. I was getting a facial and the girl kind of ran her fingers around my eyes like full circle from the brows to the under bone. I got kind of a tickle in my throat and started to cough a bit. After she was done, it seemed like my sinuses weren't as full up, so I am thinking that with that massage it kind of freed them up and that what I was feeling a drip in my throat which caused the tickle. Could have been coincidence or not?
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #15

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Does anybody have any suggestion for me? I have had two rounds of antibiotics (z-pack and smz-tmp) and I still can't kick this. For me, it manifests in horrible upper left tooth pain and pain in my left lower jaw (maxillary sinus), usually started by allergies. I can't eat or chew without pain, horribly sensitive to temperature. Dentist says teeth are fine. I don't have gross green mucous or the typical symptoms--just horrid pain primarily on the left.

I do sinus rinses, I use steroid spray (although I notice that flonase gives me headaches) and I still have a sub-crisis infection. I guess I can go back to the doc and try something else, and I will have to do that if it flares horribly, but do any of you have any other suggestions?
YES exactly this! i have had ANOTHER steriod shot this week 3rd round antibiotics GAH this has been going on since Feb 2012!! i am going to have the back tooth pulled on that side anyways if this doesn't kick it i have the strange idea that is it was out maybe it could drain more?? IDK but sometimes i want to claw the left side of my face off it hurts soo bad
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #16

Quote:
you guys are so helpful!

Nancy--I am a bone broth nut, and am also an oil puller. I will start with the baking soda asap!

Solarpluvia--running out for betadine NOW.

The toothpain is bad. If I tap on the tooth, no pain, but if I push on the tooth or try and chew, PAIN. Comes and goes. Last night I had the radiating pain down in my lower jaw and the temperature sensitivity. This morning, not so much. It is the stupid weekend with the stupid holiday on M-T, so I think I will hold off on calling the doc til the 2nd.
YES wow you describe it soo exactly!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOO View Post
A facial massage might help. I was getting a facial and the girl kind of ran her fingers around my eyes like full circle from the brows to the under bone. I got kind of a tickle in my throat and started to cough a bit. After she was done, it seemed like my sinuses weren't as full up, so I am thinking that with that massage it kind of freed them up and that what I was feeling a drip in my throat which caused the tickle. Could have been coincidence or not?
Karen that can help normally but with the kind OP is describing(and that i have) it doesn't do much good grief after reading all of this i am thinking GAH FUNGAL BALL????
i used my neti pot when it first was occurring in feb but then read where it might cause infection so i haven't used it since SIGH and neti really is soothing to me but i am scared to make it worse KWIM?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deb--neti is fine if using sterile filtered water.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Deb--neti is fine if using sterile filtered water.
inhad boiled my water then(i was out) and i got scared i didn't do it long enough ugh

DO NOT google fungal ball and look at youtube vids! i have seriously grossed myself out!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #20

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
Karen that can help normally but with the kind OP is describing(and that i have) it doesn't do much good grief after reading all of this i am thinking GAH FUNGAL BALL????
i used my neti pot when it first was occurring in feb but then read where it might cause infection so i haven't used it since SIGH and neti really is soothing to me but i am scared to make it worse KWIM?

The water was infested with the infectious bacteria in that report of infection. If your local water is good and you have had no problems go for it or use bottled.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
sya--how many oregano pills at a time? I do have some. I will look into colloidal silver spray
2 three times a day is how I would start off. Then after three day 1 three times a day...
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I got the colloidal silver spray right next to some other homeopathic nasal sprays at Sprouts. Not sure if you have one of those or not. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
I never had sinus infections in my life until I started working in an office building that had mold on the ceiling. (I'd complain, they'd paint over it, it would come back.) I got regular sinus infections while working there for 5 years, when I stopped working there the sinus infections stopped.

Can you check your home's ventillation system?
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #24

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
I never had sinus infections in my life until I started working in an office building that had mold on the ceiling. (I'd complain, they'd paint over it, it would come back.) I got regular sinus infections while working there for 5 years, when I stopped working there the sinus infections stopped.

Can you check your home's ventillation system?

Definitely check out possible allergans-ugh Beez I am allergic to mold. Have the ENT run some allergy tests.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went and had some acupuncture today--I actually am feeling some relief as a result--I had heard that acupuncture was extremely helpful with sinusitus--so we shall see--I just went and had sushi and it is the first time in 10 days that my teeth didn't scream when I chewed--

Also been doing some oil pulling with coconut oil on the off chance that it is dental rather than sinus--
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great news for the acupuncture!

I have this theory that when I oil pull some of the absorbed oil migrates into my sinuses. This is based on always having to blow my nose after pulling. No scientific validity there...but it sure seems to help.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #27

hey if it was CO migrating it is antimicrobial!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Definitely check out possible allergans-ugh Beez I am allergic to mold. Have the ENT run some allergy tests.
During the 5 years I worked at that office I did go to the ENT regularly, got allergy panel run and they found 'dust and cockroaches' allergy. Ugh! I don't know if they ran for mold or not. If was for a lot of stuff, can't remember all of them.

I took allergy shots and then got to the point where I gave them to myself at home. But they weren't for mold.

Since I've left that office, I've never had another sinus infection. I do get itchy all over when I dust my house, though.

I have a feeling it was 'black mold' on the ceiling at that office. Glad I'm no longer there.

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazella09
Quote:

I had them for years. Went the antibiotic/steroid route and they.did.nothing. Then a doctor told me I may have a fungal infection. Began the neti pot. Remove sugar (I went thru withdrawals). No alcohol. NO white rice, bread, juices, sodas. Then I went organic. Then I began a gluten free diet along with my daughter and THEY ARE GONE.

Also gone are the migraines. The IBS I was dxd with. Reflux/GERD is a memory, too.

It was one of the most difficult life changes I ever made. Not sure why it worked. I noticed the improvement within three weeks. My eyes weren't puffy, no sniffling and NO post nasal drip! Even the red in my cheeks lightened up? I do not know why.

I am still on a NO SUGAR diet. It isn't easy. I do many natural anti-fungals, too if I have some type of organic gluten free cookie or similar. (Organic sulfite free red wine - *groan)

I also did infra red saunas. I miss those alot.

Good luck and good health to you! I do know what you are going thru and I hope you get well, soon.

ETA - Wonderful about the coconut oil. Take some in your coffee too. The antifungal properties are amazing. Helpful to brain tissue, too. And it helps ward off brain issues. Be sure it is organic and UN-processed though (Can even slather it on skin for amazing softness)

Last edited by Mazella09; 01-02-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Mazella09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazella09 View Post
I had them for years. Went the antibiotic/steroid route and they.did.nothing. Then a doctor told me I may have a fungal infection. Began the neti pot. Remove sugar (I went thru withdrawals). No alcohol. NO white rice, bread, juices, sodas. Then I went organic. Then I began a gluten free diet along with my daughter and THEY ARE GONE.

Also gone are the migraines. The IBS I was dxd with. Reflux/GERD is a memory, too.

It was one of the most difficult life changes I ever made. Not sure why it worked. I noticed the improvement within three weeks. My eyes weren't puffy, no sniffling and NO post nasal drip! Even the red in my cheeks lightened up? I do not know why.

I am still on a NO SUGAR diet. It isn't easy. I do many natural anti-fungals, too if I have some type of organic gluten free cookie or similar. (Organic sulfite free red wine - *groan)

I also did infra red saunas. I miss those alot.

Good luck and good health to you! I do know what you are going thru and I hope you get well, soon.

ETA - Wonderful about the coconut oil. Take some in your coffee too. The antifungal properties are amazing. Helpful to brain tissue, too. And it helps ward off brain issues. Be sure it is organic and UN-processed though (Can even slather it on skin for amazing softness)
wowo! oh i need to discipline myself i have been swabbing my nose with CO the last couple of days and that is soothing but way back it still hurts
i am soo soo glad it has helped you!