Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Palpitations (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/791898-palpitations.html)

moonmirror 12-22-2012 11:34 AM

Palpitations

I get these with lowcarb. Magnesium helps some. Any other tips? Sodium? Maybe I'll eat some dill pickles.

Someone needs to come up with an exact electrolyte replacement drink for lowcarb eating. :stars:

Emmaline 12-22-2012 12:06 PM

Potassium as well...

You can have a CBC drawn, and it may tell you what you are low in...=)

Rhubarb 12-22-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 16149007)
I get these with lowcarb. Magnesium helps some. Any other tips? Sodium? Maybe I'll eat some dill pickles.

Someone needs to come up with an exact electrolyte replacement drink for lowcarb eating. :stars:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmaline (Post 16149055)
Potassium as well...

You can have a CBC drawn, and it may tell you what you are low in...=)

I found that a cal-Mag supplement, more salt (quite a bit more) and a little less water made the most difference. Then fiber to make sure that my intestines were absorbing the minerals. That last ended all my symptoms for good.

Lokarbiebarbie 12-22-2012 12:56 PM

I found using 'lite salt', or 'no salt' (any brand...found near the real salt) helped...it is potassium and unlike pills, you can't get 'too much'..just sprinkle on your food.

NH_Free 12-22-2012 01:40 PM

I only get palpitations when I'm in deep ketosis and have too much caffeine.

jem51 12-22-2012 02:31 PM

In a quart of water mix in 1/8-1/4 t lite salt then add a dash of favorite drink mix or plain kool aid and sweetener.

I always had to take potassium but this has resolved the issues.

The other thing that brings arrhythmias under control is controlling blood sugar.

LiterateGriffin 12-22-2012 02:56 PM

WebMD offers a recipe for a homemade version of "Electrolyte Drinks" with these ingredients:

* 1 quart (950 ml) water
* teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
* teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt
* If available, add teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute, such as "Lite Salt". (That's your potassium!)

lonestarstamper 12-22-2012 06:20 PM

thanks for the info......I've had issues with palps before too. When they become an issue again I will know what to do.

Dottie 12-22-2012 07:34 PM

Please see your doctor to rule out a potentially serious medical issue.
Don't assume it's diet related.

Kateee 12-23-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16149621)
Please see your doctor to rule out a potentially serious medical issue.
Don't assume it's diet related.

Yes to this! I have a fast pulse/heart rate, and on my recent doc visit found with an EKG, I have A-fib, and I am now on a beta blocker, and need to schedule an appointment with the cardiologist.

I take 1t of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother in it, in some water before all my meals. It has potassium.

Don't delay.

moonmirror 12-23-2012 09:04 AM

I'm an RN and fairly certain it isn't a condition. I don't ever get any symptoms except after 4-7 days on lowcarb. And especially after caffeine.

That said it is concerning. I did up my carbs a bit yesterday and the palps disappeared.

Thanks for the recipes, though. I wonder if some powerade would help take care of it?

Leo41 12-23-2012 11:40 AM

I tend to have very low BP, and my cardiologist suggested Powerade. I use Powerade Zero. I drink it in the mornings, if my BP is too low.

My primay doctor insists that Pedialyte is best, and even with the sugar, the carb level isn't very high (as I remember it).

LiterateGriffin 12-23-2012 01:02 PM

Here's the nutrition-label, Leo. Decide for yourself:

http://quitehealthy.com/nutrition-fa...abel430751.gif
(6.13 carbs/8 fl oz)

Leo41 12-23-2012 04:16 PM

I don't plan to have any. I was just telling the OP what my primary doctor advised. It was so long ago that I didn't recall the carb count.

Since I eat very low carb, I was able to use Pedialyte a couple of times and remain in ketosis, but I've discovered that Powerade Zero works just as well.

Kateee 12-24-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 16150070)
I'm an RN and fairly certain it isn't a condition. I don't ever get any symptoms except after 4-7 days on lowcarb. And especially after caffeine.

That said it is concerning. I did up my carbs a bit yesterday and the palps disappeared.

Thanks for the recipes, though. I wonder if some powerade would help take care of it?

Good to hear they went away :)