Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spike7x65x
Weird Heart & Digestive Issues

Hi,
Frequent lurker, but could do with some advice from you great people!

Been doing low carb since July, lost about 35lbs, now around 195. Diet was usually no breakfast (wasn't hungry), eggs, bacon and sausage for lunch with a big salad and chicken or fish with some cheese and dressing.

Was going fine but then about 3 weeks back started getting chest tightness and low occasional pain.

Went to the docs and had 5 EKGs, Stress test, Echocariogram and so many blood tests I've lost count. All normal and no sign of inflammation or heart disease enzymes. Inflammation which was present when I last went to the doctor has gone which is good.

So obviously panicking about heart attacks I'm now just eating salad, veggies and some grilled chicken or fish. Hardly any fat. It's not too hard but now I'm losing weight too fast. 2kg this week

I've also been having some digestive discomfort more recently, mild nausea, gas, cramping and aches below my rib cage.

All a bit confusing really... I'm wondering if the diet was ok before but I needed to have a little more carb OR i was eating too much fat and my diet is better now but I need to eat more carbs.

I've read so much about heart disease etc and don't buy into fat causing it, but when you're having chest pains it's easy to change your mind! Problem is now I just don't know what to eat!
spike7x65x is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I had the same problems but it turned out to be my gallbladder. Has your doc checked it?

Last edited by lisabinil; 12-19-2012 at 05:55 PM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Gallbladder problems were the first thing that occurred to me, also.

The other thing that occurred to me was a possible imbalance or lack of some mineral or vitamin. You need adequate salt intake on a lowcarb diet; have too little and your body will excrete potassium to conserve sodium, which can in turn lead to cardiac dysrhythmia. Here's a discussion of some of these issues: NK and Salt - You must have it!
I'd advise drinking broth with adequate salt but no added sugar or MSG (the link has discussion of some preferred brands), drinking no-sugar liquids designed to help electolyte balance and supply necessary minerals, and taking a good multi-vitamin.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hi,
Gallbladder did cross my mind.
I seem to have a mixture of flu type symptoms minus fever with heart and chest discomfort. I did notice however a mild ache occasionally on the right side under my rib which I know can be gallbladder.
I have noticed since eating less fat and exercising my symptoms are milder during the day and appear to be worse at night about 1-2 hours after eating, then I get some cramping, mild nausea and sometimes chest paplitations.
Def not gallstones because not enough pain, but I'm wondering if a fat overload caused some gallbladder issues.

On the minerals, I thought of that but have had them all checked several times and they're all normal.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica1129
Stats: 5'9 293/221.8/170
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: February 1, 2012 - June 9, 2012; restart Jan 2013
Hi, I have acid reflux and the chest tightness/pain and low pain sounds exactly how it feels when mine is acting up. I found out because my chest was hurting so bad one night I got scared and went to the ER. Had tests much like you did and ended up being reflux. Nausea sometimes comes along with it also. Not sure if it could be your issue as well, just trying to give an idea!
Jessica1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Jessica...

I'm beginning to think it's something digestive rather than heart. Apart from the negative tests for heart it seems to be a weird mixture of stomach and chest issues which would point more to digestion. Million dollar question if so is does Low carb make it worse or better or did it cause it!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Be sure to go see your doctor!!! Like others, I had gallbladder issues and finally had mine removed.. Been fine ever since! I had pain in my ribcage and in my back. Both can be heart related as well so please make sure you discuss this with medical professionals.. It sounds like you are already working with them to find out what your issue is. They may want to do an ultra sound on you.. That is how they found the stones.. when my doctor took mine out he said I must have had them for years (and I remember having the symptoms from my early 20's!) because my stones were big and very strange shapes.. some triangles, some rectangles.. but there were a lot of them. I am so glad they found out what it was because I remember I used to be in so much pain I would sit in the shower rocking and praying to God to take the pain away. It can be so painful...

Adding that if it is gallbladder.. You may want to lower your fat intake because that can make the attacks more painful and more frequent as well. Drink lots of water as well.

This is from WebMD..

What Are the Symptoms of Gallstones?
Most people with gallstones do not have symptoms.

Gallstones most frequently make their presence known when they become lodged in one of the ducts that carry bile, a digestive juice, from the liver to the small intestine.

When such an obstruction occurs, you might experience the following:

Severe and sudden pain in the upper right abdomen and possibly extending to the upper back
Fever and shivering
Severe nausea and vomiting
Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
Clay colored stools or dark urine

Here is a list of foods to avoid if it is indeed gallbladder related:

Try to avoid or limit these high-fat foods in your diet:

Fried foods
Highly processed foods (doughnuts, pie, cookies)
Whole-milk dairy products (cheese, ice cream, butter)
Fatty red meat
Also steer clear of very low-calorie diets. If you are overweight, aim for a gradual weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week by sticking to a healthy, well-balanced diet and getting regular exercise.

I hope you find out what exactly it is that is causing your issues. Keep us posted!!!

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/163/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Sounds like gallbladder to me too. Had mine out in 1993 and your symptoms sound So much like what I had.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the info... it's very helpful especially to know people are around with the same symptoms.

For those that have had gallbladder issues, obviously it can be painful it it's blocked but did you have more mild symptoms with random aches in your right abdomen and chest?
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
be sure to try antiacids too though. I'm sure your doctors thought of reflux and gall bladder and had some reason not to think those were the problem. Not that they are rare problems!

try Pepcid plus some chewable tablets like Gaviscon. They are not very low carb, but if they make the pain go away you can tell your doc what you found. If that is the case, you will probably need one of the prescription things like Prilosec for awhile.

good luck!

p.s. My worst gallbladder pain was in my right back just about where my bra hits. Prior to that, it was just like acid reflux, but when it got acute, it was in the back. worst pain ever!!!!

Last edited by ravenrose; 12-20-2012 at 08:20 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote