Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   How do you cure a cold? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/791557-how-do-you-cure-cold.html)

alonewithyou 12-17-2012 05:56 AM

How do you cure a cold?

I have a cold and I have exams in 3 days! I can't be sick now. My nose is running and it's hard to concentrate. I don't care for nose sprays. They make my nose so dry and that's worse almost.

If anyone has a "cure", I'll be glad to hear it. Anything to relieve the aches and itching.

Leo41 12-17-2012 07:49 AM

You can't 'cure' a cold, but you can relieve the symptoms. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite remedies, but I haven't had a cold in a while, so I don't have any current recommendations.

However, in the past, I've stopped at my local drugstore and asked the pharmacist what he'd recommend. He knows my age and what meds I'm currently taking, so he always suggests something OTC that he knows won't cause any problems for me.

ravenrose 12-17-2012 01:08 PM

Just try to balance treating the symptoms. As you point out, often the "cure" is worse than the original problem!

PaleoRainy 12-18-2012 04:13 AM

If you can take it, aspirin will help. If you can't take aspirin people usually suggest paracetamol but it does not work for me. It's not so easy.

alonewithyou 12-18-2012 10:24 AM

I take paracetamol for the headaches I get from being stuffy. Actually, I'm feeling better today already.

Bamboozled 12-19-2012 08:07 AM

I take Vitamin D and rinse your mouth/throat with sea salt and warm water a few times a day.

I also just came down with a cold. The sore throat started and I started with the salt water gargles and it helped wonders. Sucks to be sick at this time of year!

alonewithyou 12-19-2012 01:28 PM

Really?? I guess the salt sort of cleans out bugs or something? How much salt per cup?

cfine 12-29-2012 10:19 AM

I would recommend 50,000IU's of vitamin D every day. I actually take this all winter long and I am hardly ever sick since doing this.

alonewithyou 12-29-2012 02:50 PM

Cool, great! I'll see what I can find. I probably can't find very strong d-vitamins here.

Won't you believe it, I have a cold again!! My nose is even stuffier this time. Gross...

sya_unit 12-29-2012 04:35 PM

IDK, But I have a cold and someone reminded me of vicks vaporub. Oh yeah. Nice. And then someone else suggested zinc pills, and someone else suggested NSAIDs, then someone else suggested benedryl. Not sure what works...really nothing is 100%.

alonewithyou 12-31-2012 09:40 PM

Yeah. It's hard to know what works. Just Gotta try it all. I haven't taken anything but paracetamol and a little nose spray. Just three times to clear up a bit. Other than that I've been blowing my nose the hardest I know. I just hope my sinuses aren't clogged now. My face hurts a little and my nose has stopped running.