Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mooooose
Stats: 290/249/175
WOE: my own low carb way
Start Date: Summer 2012
Fat and Metformin

Officially diagnosed as insulin resistant yesterday and given a script for Metformin, which I will start at dinner tonight. My doctor (who is all on-board for low-carb), told me that I will have to keep my fat intake down because fat in combination with the Metformin could cause...accidents. Has anyone taking Metformin had this experience? I know a lot of people on here take Metformin and eat a fairly high fat diet, so I was curious.

She prescribed me a diet that will be high in dairy, lean protein, and low-glycemic fruits and veg. Doesn't sound too bad, but I'm actually afraid to start taking the meds because of the stomach upset a lot of people report.
Mooooose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Metformin causes gastric upset in a fair number of people, but fat doesn't really have anything to do with it.

To mitigate the gastro issues, the following can help:

-- start at a lower dose and work up
-- take the Extended Release, instead of the regular version (seems to cause fewer problems)
-- take it with food always, not on an empty stomach

I had almost no trouble when I started taking it, and I was eating high-fat already. But plenty others have had considerable trouble, no matter what. It really is a YMMV thing...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/209/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
I eat a high fat diet and am a type 2 diabetic on metformin have not hade a problem wit it
smoky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
I eat a high fat diet and am a type 2 diabetic on metformin have not hade a problem wit it
Same here. I take 1000 mg morning and night and have never had a problem with it.
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I not only take metformin and eat pretty high fat, but I had my gallbladder out which makes it all worse. I don't find it a problem, though it took awhile to adjust to the Metformin.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
If metformin bothers your stomach, give it time...that shouldn't last too long, as your body gets used to it. And i don't think it will make any difference how much fat you eat! I have never had a problem!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cleome
Stats: 230/184/130
WOE: Metformin+LowCarb/HypothyroidHealth
Start Date: September 2009
Fat is not a problem, but if I overdo starches I know it.

It took me four weeks to ramp up to the full dosage of 4x500 mg Extended release. Each weekly increase gave me a bit of unease at first - maybe plan those for weekends or non-work days.

YMMV, what works for me is 2x500mg with breakfast, and 2x500 mg at bed time.

Metformin has been great, I was stalled for ca. three years at 215, then lost around 25 lbs in the three months I have been at full dosage, with a notable increase in my energy levels.
cleome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Can't you try to correct the problem with diet alone first instead of going on medication right away?

I always consider prescription medication to be a last resort.

I'd also do a lot of research on the best diet for additional tips.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mooooose
Stats: 290/249/175
WOE: my own low carb way
Start Date: Summer 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Can't you try to correct the problem with diet alone first instead of going on medication right away?

I always consider prescription medication to be a last resort.

I'd also do a lot of research on the best diet for additional tips.
I have been trying to correct the problem with diet for 16 years, and just keep getting fatter in the process. Insulin resistance cannot be curtailed by diet alone, because part of the reason we become insulin resistant is that the liver makes too much glucose. A LC lifestyle, no matter how diligent, will not change how your liver works.

This is week two for me on Metformin, and I've discovered I just can't do strict LC while taking it. When I eat a bit of starch (such as adding a small serving of bread, potato, corn, beans, or rice as my prescribed diet calls for), I'm fine with no symptoms. When I cut these things out and add more fat I'm in pure hell. Even with LC and LF, my body does not react kindly. I'm keeping everything in moderation, of course, but strict LC just can't work for me right now. Down the road, I may try again. As it stands now, I'm losing about 1.5 pounds per day on the diet my doctor prescribed me, even with the starches, so I'm just going to leave it alone. With graduate school and a special needs son at home, I don't have time to feel sick.
Mooooose is offline   Reply With Quote