Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flux
Your welcome. Take care.
flux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flux
Here's one more site about fibre that you should find a very interesting read and it also says.

The following study shows that a ketogenic diet with 80% fat eliminates cancer tumors, but a reintroduction of carbohydrates causes the tumors to grow again.

Dietary Fiber Theory. Scientific Proof Fiber in the Diet is Unhealthy.

Hope this is of some intrest.

Last edited by flux; 01-13-2013 at 07:47 AM..
flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I think everyone knows someone who ate healthy, exercised, had a positive loving attitude and died of cancer. We all also probably know of someone who celebrated their 90th birthday with a cigarette and a martini. so what does that prove????
Nothing.
It is only when you look at the long term trends do we get a picture of what is healthy and what is not.
For example...cigarettes were once touted as a health remedy...Now pretty much everyone agrees that they are a life shortening poison.
I think that there are certain basics that I believe in...
don't smoke
keep your weight down,
exercise regularly
eat a variety of nutritious, unprocessed foods to the greatest extent possilbe.
Avoid sugar and highly processed foods
drink clean water, breath clean air.
Love, and have faith
Will this keep me healthy.
Yup, and with any luck I'll stay that way right up till the day I die.

Last edited by avid; 01-13-2013 at 10:00 AM..
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/143/sub-140 (stretch goal)
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
don't smoke
keep your weight down,
exercise regularly
eat a variety of nutritious, unprocessed foods to the greatest extent possilbe.
Avoid sugar and highly processed foods
drink clean water, breath clean air.
Love, and have faith
My list looks pretty much the same. Took me a while to figure out, but I live by it now.
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessWanabee View Post
Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death - YouTube

Sure going low-carb helps to lose weight, but according to these studies it promotes cancer and heart disease and not because of the traditional reasons. Apparently meat has bacteria that causes endotoximia which causes a constant state of inflammation. Vegans had 8x the cancer fighting properties in their blood compared to meat eaters. Suddenly I feel like my world is turned upside down.
I don't think anyone should be on a meat based diet unless they are Inuit. Low carbers come in all types; why would you need to base your whole diet on meat? Why not be 50% plant matter and 50% meat, or 70% plant and 30% meat? I recently was on this lady's blog and she does 95% plant and 5% meat. Play around with the ratios and determine which is right for you. I'd definitely disagree with having a huge percentage of your diet be based on meat though. Way more protein than your body needs.

That part about vegan blood having 8x more cancer fighting properties makes perfect sense; uncooked plant foods have tons of antioxidants and phytochemicals that help to fight cancer. Your mother was right: eat your vegetables!

Add more veggies and nuts to your diet. There is no health hazard in that.

Last edited by Seeking; 01-25-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimin Cindi
Stats: 234/209/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: October 2012 restart
just as a reminder, correlation does NOT equal causation
Slimin Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
I haven't read all of this thread yet.

I was an avid low carber for years and switched to vegetarian 2 years ago, and I would love to be vegan - but I love cheese so we'll see. I do believe there are many benefits to being plant based.

Starch Solution was a great book and Happy Herbivore offers weekly meal plans which are vegan.

Schmabby - I'm praying for all the best for you.

<off to read the rest of this thread>
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shmabby
thanks

Attended a cancer meeting yesterday. One of the presenters was a dietician.
I'm coming at this with:
diabetes plus kidney stones plus cancer plus I should lose 40 lbs.

of course her presentation was:
eat a balanced diet, sugar is fine as long as it's not "in place" of something more nutritious, no need for supplements, don't lose or gain weight.

Bottom line - I have NO idea WTH I'm doing.

I'm purchasing whatever organic produce Costco carries. I've increased my brussel sprout consumption (Thank God I found a great recipe). I've decreased my beef/pork consumption by over 90%. My dairy is almost entirely organic yogurt. I do eat oatmeaIl every so often. No other grains/starches. I do eat organic berries and apples.

Chance chemo may start next week.
shmabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmabby View Post
thanks

Attended a cancer meeting yesterday. One of the presenters was a dietician.
I'm coming at this with:
diabetes plus kidney stones plus cancer plus I should lose 40 lbs.

of course her presentation was:
eat a balanced diet, sugar is fine as long as it's not "in place" of something more nutritious, no need for supplements, don't lose or gain weight.

Bottom line - I have NO idea WTH I'm doing.

I'm purchasing whatever organic produce Costco carries. I've increased my brussel sprout consumption (Thank God I found a great recipe). I've decreased my beef/pork consumption by over 90%. My dairy is almost entirely organic yogurt. I do eat oatmeaIl every so often. No other grains/starches. I do eat organic berries and apples.

Chance chemo may start next week.

I totally understand your confusion. There is so much conflicting information out there it's hard to know what to do.
I agree that you can't go wrong eating organically providing you are eating varied enough to get sufficient nutrition.
Prayers for your well being.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
I'm sorry, Shmabby. I'm hoping for the highest possible outcome for you.

I do believe we don't know all the answers at this time. I know someone who has been a vegetarian most of her life and still developed cancer in her late 30's. She was never overweight, has always eaten primarily organic, and has always lived a healthy lifestyle. So how did she end up with cancer? I don't know. I will say that she's had long-term anxiety and low self-esteem issues since childhood. There are major family issues, and her husband is always critical of her. I believe there is a definite mind-body connection not yet fully explored, but I don't think that's the whole answer either. We all know someone who has a crappy attitude, bad eating habits and neglects to take care of themselves, yet somehow they seem to just keep living. I had an uncle who was a severe alcoholic for many years, though he had always been quite active, and he lived into his early 80's. He had no special diet and at least a shot of whiskey every day.

Regarding a meat-based diet, I can tell you that consuming a lot of meat and dairy doesn't work for me. Why? The biggest problem is a lack of fiber. The first time I did low-carb, I ended up with severe constipation. Then I started getting this debilitating pain in my rectum. No supplements were helping. I had to stop and go back to the drawing board to figure out what to do next, because I simply could not go on like that. I was angry and frustrated, but I started to get some things worked out to the point where I am trying it again, though I've been implementing no white stuff all along.

I had been a vegetarian from my late 20's to mid-30's. Weight control was never an issue during that time. In fact, my weight, and health, was perfect with little effort on my part. Simply walking 2 miles a day and doing a simple 20-minute ab workout several times a week kept me fit, trim and in tip-top shape. My bowel movements were perfect, too.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote