Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Yikes! Lab results....

Pretty concerned....I'm having total knee replacement on the 10th so my dr. Ordered all the blood tests including a metabolic panel. I just saw the results online....

My fasting glucose was 106! Since Sept. 1st I have not even had a taste of sugar, flour, wheat and my only carbs have been from veges, cheese, dairy. I'm really baffled. I ran out and bought a glucose test kit and too my glucose this morning and it was 87.....

Now, there were also a few things On my urinalysis that I am concerned that are a reflection of either a bladder infection (but no symptoms) or a kidney issue.

Bun was 21 while the range is 6-20
Calcium which was 10.5 and supposed to be 8.6-10.3

Ketones were 1+ and supposed to say negative....but that one I was proud of!

I don't want the doctor ragging on me about my diet, but by the same token I'm a little freaked anout the possible kidney/high blood glucose stuff....

Any medical people who can shed some light?????

Thanks!!

Marieze

Last edited by marieze; 12-02-2012 at 02:44 PM..
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I would suggest that you not 'freak out' until you talk to your doctor.

What were the lab ranges for the glucose? For example, my endo's lab uses a range that ends at 120 for 'normal,' but my primary doctor's ends at 99. Unless you're sure of the range, you don't know the meaning of the numbers.

I'm hypothyroid, so I get regular blood tests, and I'm often a point above or below the range for something, and my endo considers that meaningless most of the time. And I find that the next time (4 months), the values are back in range.

A physician is best in interpreting your results, and I'm surprised you got the results directly because most often this is exactly the reason the labs report to the doctors first. Patients tend to get upset over things that are not significant.

I'm not saying your results aren't significant; I'm suggesting that you not worry until you talk to the doctor.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Keep in mind that unless you have a baseline from before the diet, it is far more likely your values have been improved by your changes, not harmed by them. I agree you need to ask a professional opinion on how to interpret those results, but don't kid yourself that you were metabolically more healthy pre-diet than now. That would be extremely improbable, and going off your current diet is more likely to harm than help the situation.

Deep breaths
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Actually, the same exact tests were done in August. My fasting glucose was 102 so it's actually gone up!

The other things I mentioned were all normal/within the range last time. I'm definately calling my doc tmorrow but my internist, not the ortho who ordered the tests is who I'm calling......
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
We all put a lot of faith in blood panels but don't realize the margin of error and the more important point that none of the 'norms' are framed within a low carb woe.

The slightly higher fasting b.g. most likely is physiological insulin resistance which is not the same as pathological insulin resistance. It means that you have become good at converting the necessary amount of glucose needed. overnight through gluconeogenisis. Perfectly fine and normal.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffles
Stats: 112.2/106.7/65kg
WOE: leptin reset , OA
Start Date: 11/11/13
Were you in pain at the time of the test? Pain can raise your glucose levels.
muffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/5/2012
Small variations from normal are not something that most doctors are concerned with. A BUN of 21 is not significantly different from a BUN of 20. I would not be concerned with a glucose of 106. Lots of things can impact a single glucose reading. Don't panic, I'm pretty confident that your doctor will not be concerned. If anything you'll likely just repeat the bloodwork in 6 months to make sure that something isn't going up.

Good Luck with the knee surgery!
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
102 & 106 are not that different & within the margin of error for each other. In other words, they are essentially the same result.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chelseybelle27
Stats: 300.3/274.2/healthy :)
WOE: Extended Induction
Start Date: 08-25-14
normal blood glucose levels (from my nursing school textbooks) are between 70-110. I wouldnt worry about that, nor would I worry about the BUN either, as anything could raise your BUN by 1 point, and is not significant. Also, with the calcium, do you take a supplement? Have any symptoms like nausea, muscle weakness, or confusion? If not, thats close enough, that most labs use varied scales on normal ranges and I wouldnt be concerned about that either.

All other labs sound great, dont worry!
chelseybelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Oh that's not a big variation at all! Now I'd definitely say relax, if you were within normal ranges then and only slightly outside of them now, as others have said there is variation inherent in the test method, not to mention natural variation in our bodies. Definitely ask and let a professional explain it, but I would be concerned unless the trend continued in a panel a few more months down the road.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Another thing to think about is that usually a fasting b/s for someone not using blood sugar lowering meds will be the lowest number of the day, but that may not be true at all for someone who is doing low carb. Your numbers are probably much flatter -- like you may be between 100 and 110 pretty much all the time, but when you were eating significantly more carbs you were probably fluctuating between 100 and 180.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Fasting glucose is so variable. The A1C is the one that tells a better story. I wouldn't worry about that. Stress can raise your number, too. It's the range over time that's important. Another thing is that you could have been dehydrated. I don't know enough about calcium scores to give you any thoughts on that. Ketones look good, too, but your doctor will probably say something about that if he/she isn't on board with lc!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I'm not a medical type, but all the items that were out of range were out by such a small amount--- I really wouldn't worry about it.
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
I am also able to access lab reports through a "my health" type of system. I recently had a full panel done, and it was a little unnerving to see my blood glucose a few points above normal. I think mine was 106 and normal range ends at 99. My doctor ran a second test to rule out diabetes. I didn't even go back in--she just ordered it because my glucose was mildly elevated. No diabetes...just a reading that was a couple of points higher than usual.

I wouldn't be too worried about these results. Talk to your doctor.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

WOW! Holy ripoff Batman!!

Well, since I've been sharing my whole medical life with y'all, I don't mind telling you that when I re-started Sept. 1st and got really serious I decided to get one of those blood glucose moniters to really be able to tell what raises my i sulin levels.

I bought the little kit from Amazon for something like $10.00 and it came with lancets and like, 10 test strips. It was a great little investment to test two hours after certain foods to see how they affect my bg.

I remembered that I needed to order more strips and just called a few pharmacies here in town to discover that for 50 flippin' strips it's anywhere from $79.99 to $85.00!!!!

I went on Amazon especially since I am a "prime" member with free 2 day shipping and for 50 strips just paid $24.99! REALLY?????

I'm so ticked off because most likely people who buy them at the pharmacy submit it to insurance so the drugstores jack up the price....these are the same EXACT strips manufactured by the SAME company!

And what about people who don't have internet service and can't go to Amazon? That makes me feel bad thinking they are being ripped off! What about the elderly or infirm?

Help me out here, am I missing something?

Marieze
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Too Fluffy
WOE: Calorie Counter with a focus on complex carbs.
Can't help you with the price of the strips, but did want to ask about your blood pressure. My blood sugar (A1C) was always normal until my b/p was elevated. Once that was under control, my blood glucose level went down to normal again. Has your blood pressure been an issue? Just a thought.
Too Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

My resting blood pressure is always 96/66!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sparkysarah
Stats: 5'8" 187/187/155
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 10/20/14
I wouldn't be worried about those labs at all! Close to normal is still normal in my book. The BS is no worry at all. If it's borderline now, just think what it would be if you went back to eating high/moderate carb!!!!

Keep up the faith! You are doing great! 100 pounds lost!!!! Yay!!
sparkysarah is offline   Reply With Quote