Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosysunshine
Does red meat cause inflammation of the joints?

I started eating LC 20 days ago. I lost 11lbs and was doing good. It seems that LC is the only way that I don't have sugar cravings but my family is worried because I only eat a limited amount of vegetables. I will eat lettuce, tomato, avacado, carrots and spinach leaves.

In September, I fractured my arm and damaged my radial nerves. Healing is slow going because of inflammation that won't go away. The inflammation is also affecting the joints in my fingers, wrist and elbow. I can barely bend my fingers, wrist or elbow and therapy is painful. If it wasn't for the inflammation, i would be making better progress.

Does anyone have advice on how I can continue to eat LC and get rid of the inflammation?

Thanks!
Rosysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I have hyperuricemia (which causes uric acid kidney stones and gout) and I notice a big difference when I eat more red meat than usual. Also hydration is very important. I would suggest eating more chicken and turkey for a week or two and make sure to get plenty of fluids and see if that helps at all.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Maybe increase your sources of omega-3 fatty acids? Eat wild-caught fish and/or take fish oil supplements. Also, grass-fed rather than grain-fed meets (in fact, if you eat grass-fed, I wonder if the inflammatory response to red meat might disappear. just a theory though).
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Red meat is known to have inflammatory qualities, and you'd do best to focus on omega 3 protein sources, such as tuna and salmon.

However, have you had this evaluated? Your inflammation seems rather severe, and since there was an injury involved, I wonder about some infection that may be causing the pain and inflammation. If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend contacting the treating physician.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I second the recommendations to drink lots of water and eat omega 3 protein sources, particularly wildcaught fatty cold-water fish like salmon. You may want to also take fish oil capsules and probiotic supplements.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Found an interesting blog entry on Mark's Daily Apple about inflammation from red meat and egg yolks. I don't think I'm supposed to post links, but if you google "Mark's Daily Apple Arachidonic Acid" you'll find it.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all so much! The information you gave me is great! Gretalyn, thank you, I am going to google "Mark's Daily Apple Arachidonic Acid". I want to get rid of the inflammation as soon as possible. As it is, it's going to take a year to recover. I don't want the time extended because of the inflammation!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Good luck Rosy! I hope that you feel better soon.

Also wanted to ask if you went grain-free or at least wheat-free when you went low carb? I know that for me personally, wheat is a HUGE inflammation trigger. Just something to be aware of.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Inflammation- there seems to be a problem with decaffeinated drinks and RA, but re: red meat, there isn't any scientific evidence linking red meat with joint problems, as far as II know But i will take a look at the literature.

of course, cured meats like sausage, etc., are no good for gout.

Last edited by DairyQueen; 11-29-2012 at 06:20 PM..
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gretalyn, I read the article and I think that eating LC is going to help me get rid of inflammation, as long as I stay away from grains, sugars and junk food. I had a saliva test to check for gluten allergies. I do not have a balance of Omega 6 and Omega3. I am taking fish oil but before I was eating LC, sugars and junk food was causing inflammation. I have more O6 than O3! While on LC, it is easy to give up wheat but I'm not grain free because the meat I am buying is fed grains and not grass fed! I am going to buy eggs and meat that were grass fed! The fish oil I am taking is good, so I am going to increase my dosage. The article I read said not to take too high a dosage of fish oil because it can act as a blood thinner.

Thanks DairyQueen, I would love to know what you find out!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like a good plan! You bring up a good point - I am not totally grain free because I do eat grain fed meats and dairy. I do buy some grass fed, but not exclusively.

As far as fish oil thinning the blood - obviously too much would be very bad, but to some extent, this could be good, right? Isn't that one of the problems with the modern diet, and one of the reasons that people are on blood thinners ranging from baby aspirin to Coumadin? Most people have blood that is too thick and clots too easily, right? I'm not sure, but it's an interesting question and one I'd like to explore more.

Greta
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Rosysunshine,

Your plan to eat only pastured meats and eggs (and dairy if you do dairy, should be pastured as well) should work--good plan. If it doesn't you may need to try some sort of elimination diet like GAPS. Once the inflammation is under control, you can try adding these foods back in.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Janknitz, what is GAP? My chiropractor gave me a detox in which I eliminate foods and then slowly introduce foods back into my diet! I would be willing to try GAP if the inflammation continues.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
The food suggestions are all great, but I second the poster above who advises you to talk with your doctor about the inflammation. I ignored some inflammation after I broke my wrist 30 years ago, and I ended up having to have emergency pinning surgery because the bone had slipped and was crushing a nerve. No fun!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
The only time red meat is a problem for me is if I eat some that is not 100% grass-fed. Regular store beef from grain-fed animals causes me to be in pain so no longer buy it.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
inflammation can be caused by a lot of factors other than what you eat, it can also be a symptom of infection--so definitely get it checked out by the doctor!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Lean red meat is OK, it's the fat that inflames.

I used to have severe bursitis in my hip and arthritis in my hands. The bursitis was so severe I couldn't drive a car without a "blue ice" pack on my hip joint and I couldn't walk 2 blocks without sitting.

I wrote to a supplement company I get my vitamins from (Life Extension Foundation) and they have doctors who don't diagnose but give advice to of course be used with the agreement of your personal doctor.

The vitamin company doctor recommended diet first -- which is great from a company who makes their living selling supplements. This is the advice I got:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats)
* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (high in arachidonic acid)
* Egg yolks (high in arachidonic acid)
* Pasta (high glycemic index)
* Juices (high glycemic index)
* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye or whole wheat)
* Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
* Oatmeal
* Fresh fruits and vegetables
* Olives and olive oil
* Peanuts and other nuts
* Whey proteins

With me it was the egg yolks. Low carb is low glycemic by nature, I don't like organ meats, and I prefer lean meat. But we are all different.

Hip pain is completely gone, and hands are back to normal. It's like magic.

I've turned other people on to this diet, and it seems to work well for all that really give it a try.

Bobby
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
I notice from your first post that your limited veggie intake includes tomatoes. Tomatoes are one of the big nightshade culprits that can exacerbate pain in any of the joints. Pain & swelling together are vicious-cycle problems that each feed into the other, so you might try dropping the tomatoes and see if it helps. (Give it a few days to clear from your system before you decide whether it helped or not.)

ps be careful you don't replace the tomatoes with some other Nightshade food. The nightshade veggies are Tomatoes, Eggplants, potatoes, and Peppers. However -- speaking of pepper -- cayenne can help a lot, both with pain and also with swelling.
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlejen View Post
I notice from your first post that your limited veggie intake includes tomatoes. Tomatoes are one of the big nightshade culprits that can exacerbate pain in any of the joints. Pain & swelling together are vicious-cycle problems that each feed into the other, so you might try dropping the tomatoes and see if it helps. (Give it a few days to clear from your system before you decide whether it helped or not.)

ps be careful you don't replace the tomatoes with some other Nightshade food. The nightshade veggies are Tomatoes, Eggplants, potatoes, and Peppers. However -- speaking of pepper -- cayenne can help a lot, both with pain and also with swelling.
Do you know what compound(s) in the nightshade foods cause the inflammation? I'm just curious and can look it up myself, just lazy
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I can absolutely confirm that eliminating gluten from my diet reduces inflammation.
I had chronic knee pain for about a year. After reading "Wheat belly" by Dr. Davis I decided to eliminate wheat and all grains from my diet. The knee pain was gone in less than 10 days. I get a little "twinge" no and then, but the chronic pain is a distant memory.
Ps...I eat red meat, not much, but when I eat a burger or steak I don't notice any recurrance of the knee pain.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I have an inflammatory disease and have found red meat to have absolutely no effect on my inflammation. Milk is my number one inflammatory culprit and I've cut it out entirely for years. I did a strict elimination diet some years back and "cured" myself and managed to indefinitely put off being put on chemo meds.

It may be causing you inflammation, we are all different so yes I would cut out red meat for a month and see how it helps. Sorry about your injury.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote