Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   sudden high blood pressure? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/789274-sudden-high-blood-pressure.html)

creseis 11-14-2012 08:43 PM

sudden high blood pressure?

I admittedly do not know much about HBP because it has never been remotely a problem for me. I always have had extremely low blood pressure, bordering on too low, and my doctors always thought my blood in general was stellar. 4 months ago I had my first high blood pressure reading and the nurse was like, "eh, it's probably just today... doesn't matter, don't worry about it." Today, I had a VERY high blood pressure reading, 150/100. How did I go from 110/60 or 110/70 (about 8 months ago and my whole life) to this number???

I have always had a problem with caffeine addiction. I drink a ton of diet coke and coffee. I mean, at least 40 oz diet coke and 2 cups of coffee a day. Plus, I started a new birth control 5 months ago.

I have also noticed that my heart rate has been really funky. I first noticed this after I was taking prednisone, so my doctor and I agreed that it was probably the prednisone. I stopped taking that and after a week I didn't feel it again. However, I have been feeling it lately, like over the last week. I have also had a lot of sinus problems and some female related problems. My new dr thinks it's because of the birth control, but I don't think birth control of any kind can raise blood pressure this much this suddenly.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What do I do? I feel like all of the doctors are scratching their heads on this one and leading me to empty spaces.

I have vowed to quit caffeine--eliminate diet soda completely and only have 1 cup of coffee in the morning to start with and eventually phase that out.

I am hoping that since I am in induction level low carb, this should help too, right?

I also work out 5-6 days/week. Is there anything else I should consider? There has been a lot of stress in my life, too, but I've always had similar stress, and it's kind of a good stress--very productive.

Ultimately, I've also been in a LOT of pain for a long period of time. Could that be it? Or is there a threshold that I have crossed for all of these things considered?

I am going to call a relative who is an endocrinologist tomorrow to see what he thinks. So frustrating... you feel like you've done everything science and medicine tells you to do and you end up with everything you're not supposed to. :(

ravenrose 11-14-2012 09:53 PM

The woman who writes the Blood Sugar 101 site had trouble with erratic very high blood pressure related to excessive Vitamin D supplementation.

Arctic_Mama 11-14-2012 10:10 PM

That is unusual. I'd investigate the birth control (blood pressure/vasoconstriction and clotting changes are known side effects) and any additional meds or supplements you're taking, as those are almost guaranteed to be the culprit. I doubt it would be caffeine, unless you just recently upped your quantities or began drinking it.

LoriWants2Lose 11-15-2012 12:09 AM

Pain sends my blood pressure up. When I had my youngest daughter, my BP shot up to 180/something. They were freaking out. Then, I had a car accident once and it did the same thing. I would see if you can alleviate the pain and see if that helps, but if it doesn't come down I would go ahead and get on some meds to help with it until it does. You don't want to let that go for too long. That lower number is pretty high. too.

Leo41 11-15-2012 03:11 AM

I agree that it definitely could be the birth control--sometimes women react to certain brands, and birth control Rx has been known to cause all sorts of effects that often aren't mentioned in the maker's info.

Also, I don't know why you're in constant pain, but pain will always drive up BP. During a gall bladder attack some years ago, I wound up in the ER, and they were concerned I was having a heart attack because my BP was so high--it was caused entirely by the pain I was experiencing.

creseis 11-15-2012 04:41 AM

Interesting... I am becoming more convinced it's the BP Rx. I also had gall bladder pain a few years ago, but my BP never went above my usual 110/70 throughout the whole thing. Also, when I broke my back, BP was always low. I am deficient in vit D, so that's not it.

creseis 11-15-2012 04:46 AM

And then I looked at the side effects of my BC meds:
Infrequent side effects of Jolessa Oral:
High Blood Pressure Severe

and my first, nasty thought is:
So I *don't* have to quit coffee!!!

clackley 11-15-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16079984)

:laugh: That would be my thought as well!!:laugh: Hope a switch works well for you!

zagnut 11-15-2012 05:00 AM

I also have a friend who had a gall bladder attack that sent her BP up to very high levels. I hope you can get it figured out, that would be scary.

Please, whatever you do, rule everything else out before quitting the coffee!! LOL:laugh:

creseis 11-15-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagnut (Post 16080017)
I also have a friend who had a gall bladder attack that sent her BP up to very high levels. I hope you can get it figured out, that would be scary.

Please, whatever you do, rule everything else out before quitting the coffee!! LOL:laugh:

:) I have been using coffee to bribe myself to work every morning for.... decades.. don't know what I would do! I'd end up quitting my job, going on disability, and being a menace to society!

Jennyl 11-15-2012 01:53 PM

I recently had to start taking blood pressure medicine. My doctor told me to switch to decaf!! horrors! She also told me to stop using salt

svenskamae 11-15-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennyl (Post 16081122)
I recently had to start taking blood pressure medicine. My doctor told me to switch to decaf!! horrors! She also told me to stop using salt

I don't know your particular situation, but I have read (in Phinney and Volek's books, for example) that people who are eating a low carb diet may need more salt than people eating SAD. Also, if you have given up eating a lot of processed food as part of a low carb WOE, then you are already eating less salt hidden in things like pudding mix and baked goods. And the evidence that cutting back salt helps people with high blood pressure is weak; that seems to help only a minority of people with high blood pressure, according to Barry Groves's book Trick and Treat.

My blood pressure has dropped from high down to normal since I've been eating low carb and losing weight. If you stay on plan and lose weight, you may find that you can reduce your dose of medication or even go off it, eventually--another reason to eat low carb faithfully.

Jennyl 11-16-2012 12:41 AM

yes, I'm hoping that my blood pressure may improve while lowcarbing. so far it hasn't though. It's only been about 6 weeks though. I have a LOT of weight to lose, so I hope between low carb and dropping some weight....I might get off the medicine at some point.

creseis 11-16-2012 09:33 AM

My mother is still on Atacand for HBP, but she has reduced her dosage in half because of low carbing and being retired (less stress), and her doctor hopes she'll be off of it by the spring.

LoriAS 11-16-2012 09:52 AM

I have not read the entire thread just your original post, but I have had the same thing happen to me! I started a new BCP and a few months after my BP was high. Like you I have historically had very great blood pressure readings.

My OB took me off (estrogen based) BCP and within a few months my BP went back down!

She is now recommending a new (progesterone based) BCP. She said that the estrogen based sometimes does that to women who are estrogen sensitive.

Hope this helps!

pink princess 11-16-2012 12:45 PM

My husband swapped coffee for barley cup.

I am not sure if you can get it in the US though.

mom23kids 11-16-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16079984)

Glad you figured it out and :laugh: at the coffee!

This spring I ended up in the ER with a blood clot. First thing they asked me was if I was taking bcp at the time (yep). I guess those side affect warnings they include actually do mean something :p

creseis 11-16-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriAS (Post 16082722)
I have not read the entire thread just your original post, but I have had the same thing happen to me! I started a new BCP and a few months after my BP was high. Like you I have historically had very great blood pressure readings.

My OB took me off (estrogen based) BCP and within a few months my BP went back down!

She is now recommending a new (progesterone based) BCP. She said that the estrogen based sometimes does that to women who are estrogen sensitive.

Hope this helps!

Yes, that's really good to hear. I was worried that my BP might stay high and I might damage my heart. My dr said the same thing about the estrogen based BCP and I'm going on a mostly progesterone drug while I wait for my Lupron to come in, and that of course will open a new can of worms. But yea, good to hear your BP went down, I hope mine does too!! I am surrounding myself with doctors and surgeons this weekend, so if anything goes wrong, they will rescue me!

clackley 11-16-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennyl (Post 16081897)
yes, I'm hoping that my blood pressure may improve while lowcarbing. so far it hasn't though. It's only been about 6 weeks though. I have a LOT of weight to lose, so I hope between low carb and dropping some weight....I might get off the medicine at some point.

Took me more than a year to get off b.p. meds.

spoiltmomof2 11-16-2012 06:53 PM

Pain can make your Blood Pressure skyrocket!!

zestytx 12-31-2012 05:43 PM

Birth control hormones can raise blood pressure significantly in women who are susceptible.., caffeine and salt are two other things that will affect it... check with your doctor!!

Sharss 01-04-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creseis (Post 16080020)
:) I have been using coffee to bribe myself to work every morning for.... decades.. don't know what I would do! I'd end up quitting my job, going on disability, and being a menace to society!

I don't think coffee has anything to do with HBP. Like you, I had always had low blood pressure and it went flying up to 151. I simply cut back on salt and sugar <- I'm sure sugar had nothing to do with it and I didn't eat that much anyway, but I cut back anyway. BP now normal.

I also started taking potassium three times a day as recommended by Doctors Eades in their book Protein Power. For people on BP medicine, they have to check with their doctor as their medication already has potassium included. Learned that from my son.

For me, apparently it was the salt issue as I don't take medication and never have. I haven't done the estrogen thing either and I'm 70 going on 71 this month. :) I did my research back in my 50's and decided against taking it. I do take many vities and always have.

Oh, and like you, I'm a heavy coffee drinker. Love the stuff so can relate.

creseis 01-15-2013 06:22 AM

Turns out it was the asthma that caused everything! As soon as I made this realization, independent of any doctors' help, although a savvy intern led me in the right direction, I realized that I forgot I have asthma sometimes. I started taking my albuterol. Next dr's appoint, bp was back to normal and I stopped having problems with exercise.

Note: Doctors are not always going to look at all of the symptoms and come up with the right answer for *you*. In fact, in this situation, they all jumped to the most severe explanations. This is because they are used to seeing patients with severe problems and it is their job to rule out the most awful things first. But that doesn't always solve the problem. Know your own history, and get copies of your medical records each year and keep them on file so you can look at them and make decisions, too, or at least suggestions.

I am such a stubborn scientist that I rarely agree with my doctors anyways, which will probably be to my detriment someday!

Also: after getting my menopause shot (nurse literally had to chase me around the office to give it to me omg it was awful), I am doing SOOO much better.

clackley 01-15-2013 06:24 AM

:clap: So glad you figured this one out and shared the reason!!:clap:

creseis 01-15-2013 10:58 AM

yeah and OMG my bloodwork was so perfect, I mean, TEXTBOOK perfect. I was so pleased, especially because it kind of showed that the low carb proof is in the pudding. My blood sugar was 85 exactly, which is what it is supposed to be if your liver is regulating it. And this was NOT after fasting. I ate a big egg and cheese breakfast only an hour or two before they drew blood. And it goes to show that cholesterol levels in *my* blood are NOT affected by eating eggs and cheese and saturated fats. Screw you, medical experts!!! Every other number was exactly what the textbook says it should be ideally. I was happy to be vindicated, even though I was the only one to really notice :)

However, apparently I won't survive more than 15 minutes during a zombie apocalypse. :(