Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Dishydrotic Eczema - Any other Sufferers?

I've been suffering from eczema my whole life. Heading into adulthood it got worse. A couple years ago I was finally diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. My eczema was terrible the whole time. ALl over both hands, cracked and bleeding.

Quitting drinking milk helped not only my RA but my eczema. Had to vaseline every day, multiple times, and wear gloves to bed with vaseline on my hand. Steroids helped for a bit but thinned my skin. Coal Tar helps but is nasty gross stuff.

After finally being rid of it for over a year, it came back about 4 months ago very suddenly. I was stressed. Started getting the little blisters until both my hands were full of them. They are the itchiest things ever and you can NOT scratch them or they explode. Well, most of the time they explode anyways and turn into dry, cracked and bleeding eczema.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this... and what worked for them?

Diet change did nothing... I was on a good diet, no dairy, no wheat, little sugar, when this flare popped up.

Since going LC, no changes have been noticed.

Maybe I am wrong and it has nothing to do with food. I was so hoping it did though. Having this happen once a year (and then staying for a six months to a year at a time!) is torture.

Also need to mention I have not used soap or shampoo from a store for 3 years. I make my own SLS free soap and shampoo. Wear gloves when washing dishes (the gloves can actually make it worse, but water is the worst for it so it's a toss up). I can't even tell you how much I have done to try to get rid of this. I wear gloves when working or doing errands because even air hurts. Dries out the eczema and makes it crack more. People definitely think it looks silly and my brother/coworker always makes sure to make fun of me for it.

Links for people who want to learn about it

Dyshidrosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Medscape: Medscape Access

These links have some pics showing what the bumps look like... remember, they then explode into painful eczema. They itch the entire time you have them.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Not to mention it causes deformities in your nail bed. My once gorgeous long nails were ravaged by it. I'm still recovering from that nearly two year long struggle with it. My nails look strange. Rippled.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
You say you went wheat free. Did you go truly gluten free or just wheat? And did you check ALL of your foods for hidden gluten? I was amazed at the things that actually had wheat/gluten in them that I didn't expect. I had Dermatitis Herpetiformus (sp) for years that would flare off and on. I could never figure out why when I went strict "Atkins", just meat, veggies, some dairy everything improved but when I added back in things like low carb tortillas I would break out again. I could never figure out what was causing it until my mother "casually" mentioned one day that I had been diagnosed with Celiac as a child but the doctors told her I would grow out of it so she never did anything about it. I had the same kind of rash on both hands as a child and I can remember her putting socks on my hands and rubber-banding the tops so they wouldn't fall off. I also used to get it on both feet/ankles/lower legs. Have you been tested for Celiac? Autoimmune diseases seem to crop up in pairs or bunches.
RavenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I have psoriasis on my hands and feet, so not quite the same thing, but I have all the same sorts of symptoms. I'm not sure if it is related to food, but it came on after I ate a lot of peanuts (over about a month) after being told that I was allergic. I've alway attributed it to that. It comes on any part of my hands/feet that get rubbed on a lot (under big toes, balls of feet, back of ankle, thumbs and forefingers especially bad.) Popped up on my knees and elbows. (I work out a lot so this is unavoidable ) I'm constantly wrapping up my finger tips with bandaids because once they split, I have to keep a bandaid on they for at least 24 hours or else they just won't heal. I think I keep bandaid brand in business! I wear socks and gloves with vaseline every night, soak in dead sea salts (been bad about that lately though), and have tried all the cortisone creams. So, I can sympathize with you...totally annoying, painful, and embarassing.

Are you eating milk products again? If it worked last time, I'd cut them out again for sure. I think things like that can be a trigger. I stay away from peanuts even though the allergist said I am no longer allergic. Too scary.

I also started UVB treatments. I bought my own small handheld machine and have been doing them 3-4 times/week and I think it's helping. Little by little. Is that an option for the eczema?

Last edited by DD80; 10-25-2012 at 09:04 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG View Post
You say you went wheat free. Did you go truly gluten free or just wheat? And did you check ALL of your foods for hidden gluten? I was amazed at the things that actually had wheat/gluten in them that I didn't expect. I had Dermatitis Herpetiformus (sp) for years that would flare off and on. I could never figure out why when I went strict "Atkins", just meat, veggies, some dairy everything improved but when I added back in things like low carb tortillas I would break out again. I could never figure out what was causing it until my mother "casually" mentioned one day that I had been diagnosed with Celiac as a child but the doctors told her I would grow out of it so she never did anything about it. I had the same kind of rash on both hands as a child and I can remember her putting socks on my hands and rubber-banding the tops so they wouldn't fall off. I also used to get it on both feet/ankles/lower legs. Have you been tested for Celiac? Autoimmune diseases seem to crop up in pairs or bunches.

OMG! I can't imagine not being told I had Celiacs... that is crazy! I bet your mom doens't realize the severity of not telling you.

And yeppers I have been strict gluten free for about 7 months now. I was very familiar with hidden gluten from doing strict elimination diets. It took me more than one try to figure out it was milk. I was sure it would be gluten.

I eat absolutely nothing that has hidden gluten in it. I double check all my items I purchase that have ingredients. Besides dressing and maybe lunch meat I do not eat processed foods.

I Have not been tested for celiacs. My doctor and rheumatologist did not take me seriously at all when I kept bringing up food causes for my RA and eczema. I demanded to be sent for food allergy testing, when I got to the allergist, he did the arm pin pricks and wouldnt listen to me when I said I was there to get food allergy tested. He said there was no way food was causing my RA. mm hmm.. three months later I was off my meds just from eating well and cutting out milk!!!!

Basically I do not trust doctors now.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I have psoriasis on my hands and feet, so not quite the same thing, but I have all the same sorts of symptoms. I'm not sure if it is related to food, but it came on after I ate a lot of peanuts (over about a month) after being told that I was allergic. I've alway attributed it to that. It comes on any part of my hands/feet that get rubbed on a lot (under big toes, balls of feet, back of ankle, thumbs and forefingers especially bad.) Popped up on my knees and elbows. (I work out a lot so this is unavoidable ) I'm constantly wrapping up my finger tips with bandaids because once they split, I have to keep a bandaid on they for at least 24 hours or else they just won't heal. I think I keep bandaid brand in business! I wear socks and gloves with vaseline every night, soak in dead sea salts (been bad about that lately though), and have tried all the cortisone creams. So, I can sympathize with you...totally annoying, painful, and embarassing.

Are you eating milk products again? If it worked last time, I'd cut them out again for sure. I think things like that can be a trigger. I stay away from peanuts even though the allergist said I am no longer allergic. Too scary.

I also started UVB treatments. I bought my own small handheld machine and have been doing them 3-4 times/week and I think it's helping. Little by little. Is that an option for the eczema?

Sorry to hear about your eczema. My ****** immune system has also has me fighting some kind of issue with my right foot... this summer I wore shoes that caused a heat burn or heat rash or something, and I am still suffering from it. Dry cracked red skin that won't go away. I soak in sea salt and bath salts and nothing has helped. I think I have fungal infections or something.. I was on an insane amount of antibiotics as a child. I blame a lot of my issues on that after reading so much about it.

I have to say that I have read that bandaids on eczema is very bad. The skin needs to air out. Just what I read!!! Everyone works differently

Yes eating dairy just since going on LC. Did not eat it for 7 months since ive been gluten free. The eczema break out happened about 3-4 months ago, theres been no change since starting to eat dairy again.

I dont know WHY but cheese has never been a problem. At least it never caused me any kind of reactions when I was doing my 3 elimination diets! Milk caused issues every time I tested. There is something specifically in milk, I would have to research it again as I forget. But there is an enzyme that is not in cheese.

Honestly I am at the point where I think it is a fungal infection or stress related. I just dont know.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
My heart hurts for you! I can really relate to your situation because I've experienced it, too.

Like you, I've had patches of eczema that come and go for years and don't seem to relate to anything else. I'm a long-time low-carber who has had very strict, long periods of being wheat-free and dairy-free, with no improvement in my eczema symptoms. Sometimes it goes away for awhile and I can't find any kind of correlation.

Last year, I was suffering from a terrible outbreak on my face, especially on my eyelids. It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life, and I wanted to hide all the time. My eyes continually itched and watered and I would have to resort to holding ice cubes on them to get any relief. They swelled so much, I looked like a cat some mornings, and my eyelids wrinkled up so much, I looked like an old woman. This went on for almost a year.

In that year, I researched incessantly. I was also having a pretty bad outbreak on my hands, but that's something I've lived with for many years anyway. The back of my neck was also very, very itchy, and my legs have been breaking out every winter for the past six years.

Like you, I know that doctors are helpless. They don't have a clue how to deal with this because there's really no known treatment that will help everyone, although I'm sure some people are helped by some treatments. It's caused by a defective gene. It's also the gene that carries hay fever and asthma. My whole family suffers from hay fever, and I have a brother with severe asthma. My daughter struggles with eczema on her hand, too.

I've come to the conclusion, that for me, my diet doesn't affect my eczema at all. I also don't feel that stress is a factor for ME, but my daughter thinks it affects her. I think it's very individual. But for sure, it's NOT IN YOUR HEAD!

Last winter, I tried soaking in Dead Sea Salt baths, dabbing with hydrogen peroxide, dabbing with apple cider vinegar, Cerave lotion (which is an excellent moisturizer), and finally, in desperation, this red-headed fair-skinned girl spent some time in a tanning booth. I'd read that many people experience healing when they spend their vacation at a beach in the sun and salt water. Unfortunately, it didn't help me.

I should also mention that although coconut oil and fish oil consumption are great for keeping your skin hydrated from the inside out, it didn't help me. I've been taking Krill Oil and using coconut oil internally and externally for years. My immune system is amazing. I haven't been sick more than one or two times (a mild cold) in the last 10 years! I take 5000 IUs of Vitamin D daily and my test shows my level to be excellent. I think that's really, really important, but it didn't seem to have anything to do with my eczema.

Now, the good news. In my research, I ran across references to a cream called Mario Badescu Control Cream. Some people said it cleared up the eczema around their eyes. It was my MIRACLE! I got it on a Wednesday afternoon, applied it before bed, and woke up less swollen and itchy the next day. My skin peeled all that day, and by Friday morning, my face looked almost normal! I've not had a break-out since then (April). I couldn't believe I'd finally found something that worked for ME! I bought it at ULTA in their salon area for $30. I'm told you can also get it at Nordstrom's.

Now, all that being said, I was disappointed that it didn't help the eczema on my hands, neck, or legs. My hands continued to be a constant source of misery, itching, oozing, crusting, and bleeding. In the past, I've used a prescription steroid cream called Lidex. My doctor described it as the "granddaddy of all the steroid creams". I know that I don't want to use it much because of the skin thinning effects, but I've come to realize that if I don't use it for a long time, when I use it again, it works pretty well. Also, I had been using a tube I'd had that was beyond it's expiration date, and now that I have a new tube, I think the old one was just too old to be effective. So now, I've experienced good healing on my hands and they're almost clear. I used the Lidex only for about a week, and I won't use it again unless I get desperate. It just doesn't seem to work if I use it frequently.

As for my legs, they cleared up over the summer and haven't bothered me. However, with cold weather coming, I'm bracing for the itching to start. I'm trying something new this year. My doctor had told me to use Cetaphil lotion way back years ago. I've tried so many potions and lotions, I really don't remember if I'd tried that particular one before. Nothing I used ever seemed to help. Recently, I read a post on the Pioneer Woman's blog about using it to shave with, and many people said it kept the winter itch away on their legs. I've already started slathering my legs in it after my shower, in an attempt to ward off the impending break-out. We'll see how it goes.

I can't tell you how sympathetic I am to your plight. I hope that something I've written will turn out to be helpful for you, although I'm convinced that everyone is different and what works for some won't work for others. Keep trying to find the answer!

I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll keep up updated.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one

Last edited by theredhead; 10-25-2012 at 10:22 AM..
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ultrasof
Stats: (5'8.5") 135 lbs
WOE: LCHF my way
Start Date: May/June 2012
I really hope this can help:

I have (had) dyshidrosis too, on my fingers and toes.
Although my blisters were very deep undereath the skin, so they would never crack by itching them, I "just" had to wait (sometimes weeks) for them to crack & then dry "by themselves".
Never found something to solve the problem, untill...

what did the trick for me was going (and staying!) gluten-free

Let me explain: I went gluten-free for other health reasons, and there was no spectacular improvement at first...it's only after a few months that I could definitely tell it was "less worse" than before...now I am 2,5 years GF and I just have a couple blisters on my fingers once in a while (absolutely nothing to do with the torture I was enduring before, almost all the time).
But it was quite slow: the breakouts gradually lasted less, went smaller and less painful etc.

It seems you tried GF already, but for how long? I'd say it was around 1 year after going GF that I could say I was really better on the "skin problems" side.
I wish you all the best!

PS: I also went mostly grain-free (not avoiding it as strictly as gluten but usually not eating any) since then, and of course with LC now I am sugar-free too...not sure if this helped but it might have, too.

Last edited by ultrasof; 10-25-2012 at 10:33 AM..
ultrasof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
Did any of you try using coconut oil in your diets and topically? I have problems with my skin that has been helped by adding coconut oil to my life!
You can check all the CO threads that have been on here. I would think krill oil taken as a supplement would help too. It's very anti inflammatory...
Emmaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
My heart hurts for you! I can really relate to your situation because I've experienced it, too.

Like you, I've had patches of eczema that come and go for years and don't seem to relate to anything else. I'm a long-time low-carber who has had very strict, long periods of being wheat-free and dairy-free, with no improvement in my eczema symptoms. Sometimes it goes away for awhile and I can't find any kind of correlation.

Last year, I was suffering from a terrible outbreak on my face, especially on my eyelids. It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life, and I wanted to hide all the time. My eyes continually itched and watered and I would have to resort to holding ice cubes on them to get any relief. They swelled so much, I looked like a cat some mornings, and my eyelids wrinkled up so much, I looked like an old woman. This went on for almost a year.

In that year, I researched incessantly. I was also having a pretty bad outbreak on my hands, but that's something I've lived with for many years anyway. The back of my neck was also very, very itchy, and my legs have been breaking out every winter for the past six years.

Like you, I know that doctors are helpless. They don't have a clue how to deal with this because there's really no known treatment that will help everyone, although I'm sure some people are helped by some treatments. It's caused by a defective gene. It's also the gene that carries hay fever and asthma. My whole family suffers from hay fever, and I have a brother with severe asthma. My daughter struggles with eczema on her hand, too.

I've come to the conclusion, that for me, my diet doesn't affect my eczema at all. I also don't feel that stress is a factor for ME, but my daughter thinks it affects her. I think it's very individual. But for sure, it's NOT IN YOUR HEAD!

Last winter, I tried soaking in Dead Sea Salt baths, dabbing with hydrogen peroxide, dabbing with apple cider vinegar, Cerave lotion (which is an excellent moisturizer), and finally, in desperation, this red-headed fair-skinned girl spent some time in a tanning booth. I'd read that many people experience healing when they spend their vacation at a beach in the sun and salt water. Unfortunately, it didn't help me.

I should also mention that although coconut oil and fish oil consumption are great for keeping your skin hydrated from the inside out, it didn't help me. I've been taking Krill Oil and using coconut oil internally and externally for years. My immune system is amazing. I haven't been sick more than one or two times (a mild cold) in the last 10 years! I take 5000 IUs of Vitamin D daily and my test shows my level to be excellent. I think that's really, really important, but it didn't seem to have anything to do with my eczema.

Now, the good news. In my research, I ran across references to a cream called Mario Badescu Control Cream. Some people said it cleared up the eczema around their eyes. It was my MIRACLE! I got it on a Wednesday afternoon, applied it before bed, and woke up less swollen and itchy the next day. My skin peeled all that day, and by Friday morning, my face looked almost normal! I've not had a break-out since then (April). I couldn't believe I'd finally found something that worked for ME! I bought it at ULTA in their salon area for $30. I'm told you can also get it at Nordstrom's.

Now, all that being said, I was disappointed that it didn't help the eczema on my hands, neck, or legs. My hands continued to be a constant source of misery, itching, oozing, crusting, and bleeding. In the past, I've used a prescription steroid cream called Lidex. My doctor described it as the "granddaddy of all the steroid creams". I know that I don't want to use it much because of the skin thinning effects, but I've come to realize that if I don't use it for a long time, when I use it again, it works pretty well. Also, I had been using a tube I'd had that was beyond it's expiration date, and now that I have a new tube, I think the old one was just too old to be effective. So now, I've experienced good healing on my hands and they're almost clear. I used the Lidex only for about a week, and I won't use it again unless I get desperate. It just doesn't seem to work if I use it frequently.

As for my legs, they cleared up over the summer and haven't bothered me. However, with cold weather coming, I'm bracing for the itching to start. I'm trying something new this year. My doctor had told me to use Cetaphil lotion way back years ago. I've tried so many potions and lotions, I really don't remember if I'd tried that particular one before. Nothing I used ever seemed to help. Recently, I read a post on the Pioneer Woman's blog about using it to shave with, and many people said it kept the winter itch away on their legs. I've already started slathering my legs in it after my shower, in an attempt to ward off the impending break-out. We'll see how it goes.

I can't tell you how sympathetic I am to your plight. I hope that something I've written will turn out to be helpful for you, although I'm convinced that everyone is different and what works for some won't work for others. Keep trying to find the answer!

I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll keep up updated.
I cringed when I read about your eczema on your eyelids... that is pretty much torture. I imagined my cracked, bleeding eczema on my eyelids and it just broke my heart. I am so sorry that happened to you and hope it NEVER comes back on your face. Hands is hard enough... you cant avoid using them, but EYELIDS? oh my gosh

Your advice was very helpful and I think I really needed to hear that... It's been years of going without gluten and sugar and dairy and all sorts of other foods I read could be causing eczema... Nothing. No improvement. The only thing that worked was slathering myself with Vaseline and using Coal Tar and it took MONTHS!!!

I think I need to accept that it is a defective gene like you said.. I've beat myself up for years thinking I could avoid this, that maybe it IS the food.
It makes you feel very lost. It makes you crazy.. it makes you ashamed too, I am not the type of person to be embarrassed or to care what people think but gosh darn, this eczema looks contagious. It looks like you want to stay the heck away from me lest you get it.

All the things you recommended I have tried. I take fish oil, Vitamin D, Curcumin (for my Rheumatoid Arthritis) and a multivitamin every day. I try to get most of my nutrients from my food though.

The only thing I have not tried is coconut oil. I will have to buy some and give it a shot. But at this point after years of attempts to get rid of this I think I need to accept it is something I will be dealing with for my entire lifetime.

I have tried tanning actually... hate that stuff and it didn't work. I read that sun could help and that it could also create the problem!! It is SO different for every person it is very difficult to find what helps.

So far, Coal Tar and Vaseline have been the only thing to give me relief. And honestly who knows if it was my use of those two things that stopped the flare up or if it just went away on its own.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaline View Post
Did any of you try using coconut oil in your diets and topically? I have problems with my skin that has been helped by adding coconut oil to my life!
You can check all the CO threads that have been on here. I would think krill oil taken as a supplement would help too. It's very anti inflammatory...
I haven't yet, coconut oil is about the only thing I haven't used. I take fish oil, Vitamin D and curcumin atm. I will look for some good quality coconut oil the next time I am in town. You just rub it on your skin and take a shot of it? Wondering how it should be consumed. I hate coconut so hope it doesnt taste like it!! Ty for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasof View Post
I really hope this can help:

I have (had) dyshidrosis too, on my fingers and toes.
Although my blisters were very deep undereath the skin, so they would never crack by itching them, I "just" had to wait (sometimes weeks) for them to crack & then dry "by themselves".
Never found something to solve the problem, untill...

what did the trick for me was going (and staying!) gluten-free

Let me explain: I went gluten-free for other health reasons, and there was no spectacular improvement at first...it's only after a few months that I could definitely tell it was "less worse" than before...now I am 2,5 years GF and I just have a couple blisters on my fingers once in a while (absolutely nothing to do with the torture I was enduring before, almost all the time).
But it was quite slow: the breakouts gradually lasted less, went smaller and less painful etc.

It seems you tried GF already, but for how long? I'd say it was around 1 year after going GF that I could say I was really better on the "skin problems" side.
I wish you all the best!

PS: I also went mostly grain-free (not avoiding it as strictly as gluten but usually not eating any) since then, and of course with LC now I am sugar-free too...not sure if this helped but it might have, too.
Well I am going on 7 months gluten free. Before that I went nearly a year gluten and dairy free. Nothing helped. I originally thought quitting dairy had helped but it was at the same time I was using Vaseline and Coal Tar almost obsessively. Since I've now had an outbreak while I was gluten and dairy free, I just don't believe its food related. I am now eating dairy for the past month and a half with no ill effects at all.

I will be off gluten for the rest of my life probably. I have no desire to ever eat it again. We will see if in a few years how bad my dishydrotic eczema ends up being. All I can do is wait and keep gluten free.

Also I have not been eating any grains of any form for nearly 4 months. I quit eating rice awhile back and that was the only grain I ate. I would eat potatoes and sweet potaotes but that's about it.

Thanks for the help guys. It feels great just to talk about it. I suffer alone, in silence. It is hard. I get no empathy for my eczema or RA from my peers or family. It is an invisible disease and what people can't see, they don't think about. I have to remind people about my limitations. It can get frustrating but I do understand I am the one living through this, not anyone else, I can't expect too much. But it can wear you down, especially in times of stress.

Oh- also wanted to add, HURRAY!! I am so happy you got your dishydrotic eczema figured out. I can imagine your relief... I can imagine how nice it would be to go more than 10 months without an outbreak. It really does give me hope that you have cured yourself. Who knows, maybe it will just take me longer to get all the bad stuff out of my system. Since I do have an autoimmune disorder, my body heals slow.

Last edited by Bamboozled; 10-25-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelveston
WOE: whole foods
Start Date: restart Jan '09
Dr. A. Fassano has discovered that a protein in grains & gluten (gliadin) and dysbiosis (messed up gut bacteria) cause intestinal permiability (increase zonulin production). If I were in your shoes having given up wheat, I'd want to look into correcting my gut bacteria & intestinal healing.
Chelveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelveston View Post
Dr. A. Fassano has discovered that a protein in grains & gluten (gliadin) and dysbiosis (messed up gut bacteria) cause intestinal permiability (increase zonulin production). If I were in your shoes having given up wheat, I'd want to look into correcting my gut bacteria & intestinal healing.
Thank you, I will try that.

My eczema is so much better than it was a year ago I am still very happy with the results of my elimination diet. It has changed my life. I think I may always get these flare ups but I can already tell they are much better than they were before! All because of diet change/.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 81/75/64 kilos
WOE: atkins
Start Date: January 2001
I was on Atkins in 1999 and I found a cure for my dyshidrosis, and since then have been studying it formally. I even swopped majors so I could legally study it.
Dyshidrosis (and to a great extent, the manifestation of glutin allergy) is allergy to a dermatophyte. Usually Candida.
Here is my standard patient info leaflet.6.Dyshidrosis. (pomphylox, the id reaction) Google images and dermnet.nz ...... does it look like this?
It is allergy to a dermatophyte, which is any kind of skin loving bug. mold, yeast, bacteria, virus, parasite, pollen. It could be anywhere on or in your body. The rash on the hands(or feet) is just a red flag. Take anti-histamines for immediate relief. Fexofenadine 180mg, and 8 hours later 60mg, then every 8 hours 60mg. This is not the cure. But it will stop the itching. Go to dyshidrosis@yahoogroups for more information.
This condition is your immune system over-reacting to the presence of a dermatophyte. The most common dermatophyte is Candida in its dimorphic, mycelial form in the intestines. Which is often diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. (IBS)
The cure is really simple, but I very much doubt you can get your doctor to prescribe it for you.
You need a two week course of NYSTATIN by drops, 2 million units daily. That is 5 drops 4 times a day: then a 2 week break, then repeat. If this does not work (and I would bet the cost of your doctor visit it does.) you need a drug called Toctino, to be taken for 90 days. This is expensive, and not great for your liver, you will find a cheaper way on the links at Dyshidrosis@yahoogroups.com.
I am studying this condition, also called the 'Id reaction". Can I ask you to tell your doctor to refer to page 651, chapter 17 in the 1st volume of the Textbook of Dermatology by Rook, Wilkingson and Ebling.?
You have to realize this is NOT contact dermatitis, and it is not eczema This is a special sort of allergy, and must not be treated with steroids and cortisone creams and injection at all. This makes it spread..
All the creams you put on your hand will do nothing for the cure of the condition, but soaking your hand in warm water and vinegar will neutralize the histamine and give you a couple of days relief from itching until the histamine builds up again. Neuragena Norwegian Formula glycerine cream under cotton gloves at night is the least irritant.
Podiatrist see a lot more of this condition in response to Tinea, which is athlete's foot. MD doctors have only out of date treatments and it is a dogma that steroids will take down the inflammation. True, but they cause the spread to new histamine receptors. In fact, it is my theory that steroid/hormonal changes, ie puberty, the pill, pregnancy and pumping iron and the menopause which are all hormonal/steroid changes are the inciting cause for the yeast Candida Albicans to morph into the opportunistic pathogen of the mycelia form. This is why it is not detected on allergy tests. Everybody has Candida, but not everybody has candidiasis. Only the mycelia form of Candida seems to cause the major histamine reaction which is Dyshidrosis

Patient Questions:
Do you have any symptoms of IBS?
Do you have athlete's foot? Ringworm? Any persistent fungal or bacterial infection?

Are you on the Pill? (or HRT)
Did you take a course of steroids or antibiotics at about the time the condition started? (prescribed or not...)

Thinking back to when this started: Did you move to a new house? Area? Or a new job? Was it moldy?

Thinking back to when this started: did you have a stomach upset that persisted, did you suddenly become 'intolerant' to food that had previously not caused you any problems.

Can you add any information about the starting point of the condition? (Hospitalized, new relationship, rash, holiday, stress)
Old 04-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Dyshidrosis/dishydrosis/pomphylox/chronic hand and feet eczema

6.Dyshidrosis. (pomphylox, the id reaction) Google images and dermnet.nz ...... does it look like this?
It is allergy to a dermatophyte, which is any kind of skin loving bug. mold, yeast, bacteria, virus, parasite, pollen. It could be anywhere on or in your body. The rash on the hands(or feet) is just a red flag. Take anti-histamines for immediate relief. Fexofenadine 180mg, and 8 hours later 60mg, then every 8 hours 60mg. This is not the cure. But it will stop the itching. Go to dyshidrosis@yahoogroups for more information.
This condition is your immune system over-reacting to the presence of a dermatophyte. The most common dermatophyte is Candida in its dimorphic, mycelial form in the intestines. Which is often diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. (IBS)
The cure is really simple, but I very much doubt you can get your doctor to prescribe it for you.
You need a two week course of NYSTATIN by drops, 2 million units daily. That is 5 drops 4 times a day: then a 2 week break, then repeat. If this does not work (and I would bet the cost of your doctor visit it does.) you need a drug called Toctino, to be taken for 90 days. This is expensive, and not great for your liver, you will find a cheaper way on the links at Dyshidrosis@yahoogroups.com.
I am studying this condition, also called the 'Id reaction". Can I ask you to tell your doctor to refer to page 651, chapter 17 in the 1st volume of the Textbook of Dermatology by Rook, Wilkingson and Ebling.?
You have to realize this is NOT contact dermatitis, and it is not eczema This is a special sort of allergy, and must not be treated with steroids and cortisone creams and injection at all. This makes it spread..
All the creams you put on your hand will do nothing for the cure of the condition, but soaking your hand in warm water and vinegar will neutralize the histamine and give you a couple of days relief from itching until the histamine builds up again. Neuragena Norwegian Formula glycerine cream under cotton gloves at night is the least irritant.
Podiatrist see a lot more of this condition in response to Tinea, which is athlete's foot. MD doctors have only out of date treatments and it is a dogma that steroids will take down the inflammation. True, but they cause the spread to new histamine receptors. In fact, it is my theory that steroid/hormonal changes, ie puberty, the pill, pregnancy and pumping iron and the menopause which are all hormonal/steroid changes are the inciting cause for the yeast Candida Albicans to morph into the opportunistic pathogen of the mycelia form. This is why it is not detected on allergy tests. Everybody has Candida, but not everybody has candidiasis. Only the mycelia form of Candida seems to cause the major histamine reaction which is Dyshidrosis

Patient Questions:
Do you have any symptoms of IBS?
Do you have athlete's foot? Ringworm? Any persistent fungal or bacterial infection?

Are you on the Pill? (or HRT)
Did you take a course of steroids or antibiotics at about the time the condition started? (prescribed or not...)

Thinking back to when this started: Did you move to a new house? Area? Or a new job? Was it moldy?

Thinking back to when this started: did you have a stomach upset that persisted, did you suddenly become 'intolerant' to food that had previously not caused you any problems.

Can you add any information about the starting point of the condition? (Hospitalized, new relationship, rash, holiday, stress)
carolethecatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Go to dyshidrosis@yahoogroups.com.
carolethecatlover is offline   Reply With Quote