Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abby1983
Stats: 5'6" - 157/140/140
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: 9/21
Shoulder surgery

So i was diagnosed with a possible SLAP tear, loose shoulder joint, and bursitis in my left shoulder thanks to a lifetime of softball and lots of billiards in the last few years. After 8 weeks of PT, two rounds of cortizone shots, and dropping both softball and pool, my Dr and i have agreed to go ahead with surgery as a last resort. It will be scheduled within the next couple of weeks and was looking for anyone's experience with this. I will be under general anesthesia and will be having tissue removed, my bone shaved down, and then a repair done to tighten the joint capsule and repair any tears. The Dr said i am looking at total recovery in six months and to be out of work for up to six weeks. Anyone have any stories, good or bad? Im just looking for a 'heads up' on what to expect. My pre-op appt will be scheduled for right before the surgery. DH is going to be my sidekick until i am better as i wont be able to drive until i am out of a sling (about a month). Thanks in advance everyone
Abby1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

i just got the surgery scheduled for Monday and have a pre-op appt on thursday with my dr. Any comments on people's experiences are welcome (even if they are horror stories). i just want some sort of idea what i'm in for.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...ff-injury.html

You might find a little bit of info here.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...ff-injury.html

You might find a little bit of info here.
Thanks for replying
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

I'd love to hear how things go for you. My rotator cuff has been bothering me for about 6 months now.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Abby
Did you have the surgery? Mine is getting worse it has gotten to the point where I can't even lift my arm enough to shave my underarms.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peggy15
Stats: 196/192/150
WOE: Low carb - no particular plan
Start Date: Starting yet again 2/9/14
Hi Jeaniem,
I had rotator cuff surgery on Nov. 30th. I had similar problems to Abby and was experiencing what you are - a lot of pain and I couldn't lift my arm. I had a tear, a large bone spur and bursitis. The surgery is outpatient, and I had a nerve block as well as a general anesthetic. In the beginning I needed a lot of help dressing and showering, and wasn't able to do much at all on my own, but within a week I was taking care of all of that by myself.

I won't say it was easy, but at 3 weeks out I am feeling pretty good. The worst part is sleeping, and I think everyone will tell you that. I don't have a recliner, but wish I did. I sleep propped up on pillows and have had some very restless, almost sleepless nights. However - the pain I have now is actually less than what I had before surgery! I started physical therapy this week, and can see progress in just a few sessions. It is a long process - my doctor said 6 months before I really see total recovery. BTW, I will be 63 in February, so am older than you by quite a bit. I say don't wait, because this won't resolve itself. I spent a year in misery, and of course am sorry now I didn't have the surgery sooner. Hope this helps!
Peggy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Peggy!