Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Brunette
WOE: low carb
Hey Tracy..

Found you over here too..

The Emerita brand is Great...I have used it many times...

Right now I am using a brand called Source Naturals...It's alot cheaper..and I have had good luck with it as well.

Maybe you can get compounded..when you get all your tests done..

I prefer compounded..above all the over the counter stuff.. right now Im on over the counter..because I need to go to my Doc and get a new script.

Jane
Brunette is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
yeah I know, haha.. i started one thread and noone replied so a little later I started another in a different forum.

See.. thats what im worried about is buying progesterone cream over the counter and applying without a dr's advice.. it just seems so risky (symptom wise)

My symptoms are horrible and i have read about the dangers of self medicating, especially where herbs and things are concerned.. crazy interaction possibilities..

Im guesing my Bio doc will treat me with a small dose and increase, decrease according to symptom relief.. i cant imagine having to pay out of pocket for the saliva testing every few months.. that would hurt!
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: beccitn
I ordered Progestelle to try. The pharmacist who used to make it for me in TN before I moved is going to send me a bottle of his as well. I KNOW his works but it's sooooooo expensive ($60 plus shipping) so I'm going to give the Progestell a try.

I just started Atkins induction 2 weeks ago today and am extremely disappointed and discouraged b/c I'm not losing. I'm hoping it's because of my hormones. When I was first diagnosed a few years ago I dropped weight after starting the progesterone cream without changing anything else. In the meantime, I'm debating stopping Induction (increasing carbs a bit) to adjust my hormones and then trying again. I had a friend of mine who's been doing Atkins successfully for several months look at what I'm eating and he couldn't find anything "wrong". He was actually surprised because he thought he was going to find me eating things that weren't on induction. I'm a bit of an anal person though so if you tell me to only eat this, this and this that's what I'll do. LOL!!

I can't believe I waited this long to get checked again. I gained 70 lbs. with my pregnancy and haven't been able to lose it. You'd think hormones would've occurred to me sooner. Oh well. Better late than never!

Let me know how you do with your cream!
beccitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

I will update here when I get the compounding pharmacy to mix up the good stuff. I saliva test this sunday AM, which feels like an eternity away.

I TOTALLY understand how you feel.. ive never had weight issues until all of these weird symptons started surfacing and its beyond frustrating to know you truly are doing everything right but the scale just wont budge.

Are you going to start the cream and take a wait and see approach or also have the saliva profile done?

Im so eager to get my life back!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

I would like to do the saliva test but just don't have the money right now. I had to pay out of pocket for the blood panel I had done...ouch! I wouldn't start progesterone if I hadn't been tested 3 times in the past though.

The only reason I was tested several years ago was b/c my pharmacist recommended it. He got to know me through my monthly antidepressant refills. He asked one day if I had ever been tested. I told him they had done blood work but said it was normal. I gained 40 lbs. on the antidepressant and couldn't lose it even with only eating 500 calories a day. Once I started the progesterone I lost 30 lbs. in three months eating normally and was able to wean off the antidepressant. He told me women are often diagnosed with depression when it's really hormones causing the problem.

After I had my daughter I was so focused on her and being a new mom that I just figured the struggle to lose weight was because I was "older" (39) and kinda gave up. I've had horrible joint pain in my knees as well since having her. Maybe that's related to the hormones too.

Over the last few months I've really been trying to hammer out what's going on with me. I found out I was severely deficient in B12 and vitamin D so have gotten both of those levels up. Today I went to an ENT after my PCP gave me a wrong diagnosis. I found out I've had an infection in one of my tonsils for the last few months. She lanced it and put me on an antibiotic for 10 days to clear that up. One thing at a time...slowly but surely. I have to believe one day I'll get there and return to ME again.

Hang in there! I know you've read some tough stuff on different folks reaction to progesterone. For me it was a life saver. I never had any bad reactions or anything at all. My pharmacist started me on 2-3 pumps a day and I was eventually able to go to just 1-2.

We'll get there!!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

oh... ive read progesterone deficiency/ estrogen dominance causes dozens of issues.. since these hormones are all interelated in a complex feedback loop and all depending on each other to work perfectly for "balance"... if one is off even a little, everything is off..
I have terrible CMC joint pain 24/7 that i see is most likely worsened by this hormone imbalance.

I also read that once you're diagnosed with estrogen dominance, you pretty much will battle it the rest of your life..

Im only 36 so being told "your labs are fine, you're eating too much" just pisses me off because if anything, im not eating enough and the living daily with guilt that im just doing something wrong is getting old.

Noone is going to look out for us but us, eh? Antidepressants are bandaids to me and usually cause more harm than good. I was on prozac once and gained weight.. couldnt sleep, libido diminished.. i thought what in the world good is this med doing if im worse off taking it?

Im fortunate the Bio doc im seeing takes payments ..

Keep me updated, ok?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #37
Junior LCF Member

The Progestelle arrived yesterday and I tried one dropper full last night. I don't know if it's related or not but I had some crazy dreams last night. I didn't find it restful at all. They weren't pleasant dreams though either. I'm also very tired this morning.

I'm sure it's too soon to tell if these are from the Progestelle so I'll see how it goes. I never had this happen with the cream my pharmacist mixed for me though. However, I am on an antibiotic and I only got a little over 10 carbs in yesterday so it could be related to those factors as well. I'm thinking the tiredness may be related to those. I've planned out my meals for today already to make sure I get my full 20 g of induction carbs in.

I'll post more after I've been using it for awhile.

Hope you're doing well!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

HUh.. dropper? Is this cream you apply?
So sorry about the odd dreams, hate when that happens!

Keep me informed, I am defientely sitting up and paying attention!
I have had a cold all week and am supposed to saliva test sunday morning and ship it the next day but have had HORRID cottonmouth due to being so stuffy.. i sure hope I can produce enough saliva for the test Im defientely worried about that..
Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

OK, did my saliva test yesterday.. that, is quite nasty.. yuck. You have to rinse your mouth with cold water one time and then proceed to fill the tube with spit. Yuck is an understatement... but, its on its sealed way to the lab.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

How long does it take to get the results?

Is it just 1 tube you have to fill?

Hope you get some answers soon!

I plan on doing this also..within the next month. I found another Doc in my area that does the pellets..making phone calls to find out prices..

Jane
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Good, fill me in!

I dropped the sample at UPS and its a 2 day air ship. They said once they get it, they fax results to the MD within 3 days, so I think my doctor should have results by the end of the week. For some reason, they booked me for October 11!
I called them and they said if they got results sooner, they would call me. Yeah right.
I'll call on friday and see.. i couldnt care less about coming back in- just call me, go over the results over the phone and call the compounding pharmacy to mix me up man!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

i cant believe this crap isnt covered by insurance.. think of the homacides that could be prevented!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

I'm glad you were able to produce enough for your saliva sample. I found it a bit gross when I did it too even though it was my own spit. LOL!

Yes the Progestelle is a liquid so you apply it with a dropper. It's the first time I've seen that. I'm in full PMS this week. Miserable! I decided to wait to continue with the Progestelle until after I'm off the antibiotic and after TOM which should start in a few days. I feel like I have so much going on right now that it's impossible for me to sort out what is causing/affecting what so to just step back and take one thing at a time (get through the antibiotic, TOM and then start the progesterone). I started to feel really down on myself for that but decided it's better to accept myself where I am and be a bit more gentle. It's so easy to self-sabatoge if I'm not careful and try to rush things out of impatience and wanting to feel better NOW! LOL!

I hope they have the results for you on Friday. It's soooooo hard to wait.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Sheesh.. feel better soon. Does sound like you have a ton going on.
I had a nightmare my doctor called me and said "nothing is wrong at all.. your sample was perfect"

Like i went through for 3 years straight with my practioner regarding my thyroid issues..

If I can offer one word of advice- never, ever rely on your doctor to give you lab results! Get a copy and go home and research ranges on the internet..
I could have been feeling better 3 years ago had I just made the doc give me a copy of my labs.. they were off the whole time!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Hi Ladies!

Tracy I totally agree with what you are saying...get copies of your Labs...I had one Doc slam her office door when she heard me at the front desk asking for copies of my Labs?

Do your research.....They are not always right...go by how you feel.....

Suzanne Somers new talk show is premiering Tomorrow on Lifetime Television..

Tune in if you can.....She will be discussing everything we need to know about Bio-identical Hormones....

She has written several books on the Subject...and always has some Great Doctors info.

I plan on recording it...

Weekly 13 part series

Sept 26th @ 7 am ET/ PT

Lifetime Television

Her books are what got me interested in Bio-Identicals..
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jane, I will try to check that out. Suzanne Somers looks great..
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Think i'll call ZRT today and make sure they got my sample.. i dropped it off at UPS monday morning..they should have gotten it and analyzed it yesterday i hope.. im sure those samples dont stay good for long..they said they couldnt disclose any of the results to me.. privacy and crap
I would hate to know they faxed the results to my MD and they just get thrown in my chart until 10/11..
These symptoms are aweful. Im so ready to feel better!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Yeah...I would call just to check..

What is your worst symptom right now?

Are you on any birth control? I know my Daughter had horrible side effects from taking that Depo shot for 2 years....neck and back pain....mood swings..weight gain, hair loss..she gained like 70 pounds in 2 years.....She is off of it now...Thank God...

I would still check the Thyroid Meds..? Levo is T4 only..Alot of People have trouble and dont get better on it.

Just some thoughts?

I hope you get some answers and feel better soon...It stinks when we are doing everything right...and nothing is working...

I think I am going to have to start tracking everything...I feel like I am probably overdoing some things..

Do you track calories/carbs? also I need to start weighing.....once a week...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

oh.. it doesnt matter how little i eat and how hard I work out, i cannot lose a single pound.. but I also have the dry, gritty eyes, wrist joint pain, hair loss, insomnia, mood swings.. dry, brittle splitting nails..
I didnt know levo was T4 only.. i see a new MD in 3 weeks and i am going to ask her to switch me to Armour.. the levo has made no improvement at all.

Otherwise, nope, not on any other meds..
I will email the lab..

Yikes, your poor daughter! Thats alot of crap to deal with for BC. My daughter was on that shot too but had none of those issues..
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
Tracy, Just a quick fly by before I go to work. I received my saliva test from ZRT, getting ready to work with a compounding pharmacy. Can't lose an ounce to save my life. Daughter has gain 24 lbs over summer with working out and taking her healthy lunch everyday--she is estrogen dominant. Our regular GYN put her on birth control and it made her 18 day tom worse. I will share my journey with you when I get time. Thank you for starting this thread. It makes me feel like I am not going insane taking reports back into my own hands and searching for the right combinations. We are worth it. It does suck that it is all out of pocket, but I am sick of the care I was getting from the "regular doctors" You just need to go on birth control and exercise more. Yeah, right!
helpingrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingrachel View Post
Tracy, Just a quick fly by before I go to work. I received my saliva test from ZRT, getting ready to work with a compounding pharmacy. Can't lose an ounce to save my life. Daughter has gain 24 lbs over summer with working out and taking her healthy lunch everyday--she is estrogen dominant. Our regular GYN put her on birth control and it made her 18 day tom worse. I will share my journey with you when I get time. Thank you for starting this thread. It makes me feel like I am not going insane taking reports back into my own hands and searching for the right combinations. We are worth it. It does suck that it is all out of pocket, but I am sick of the care I was getting from the "regular doctors" You just need to go on birth control and exercise more. Yeah, right!
Yay! So happy to be on this journey with other people! I do am being told over and over that im eating too much when I know im not. PLEASE share as much as you can, im brand new to all of this.
Seems like everyone around me right now is losing and its so frustrating.. especially since most of them do not exercise at all and I rarely miss a workout.

Again, thanks for commenting, i look forward to hearing about your labs and your MDs combo for treatment!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
insurance wont cover this issue? Why the heck not? This is indeed super disapointing. Wishing you good health.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Some insurance companies will reimburse if you try and send them the lab bills/ medicine costs but most wont. Not sure why other than Bio Identical Hormone Replacement is not FDA approved and can be contraversial, so alot of insurances wont cover.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Yuck.. this waiting is killing me. Not that im patient in the first place, but still.

I called my Drs office and they said ZRT will post my results privately on their website as soon as they are done. I asked if she could check for me and call me when they are in because im SOOO miserable and ready to feel better. I told her the doc can even call me with results/ treatment options vs having to wait 2 weeks to come in..
I'll keep you posted..
Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Oh I'm so sorry you are still waiting!! I logged in to see if you got your results.

I'm looking forward to being done with TOM and really getting started with the progesterone. I am so frustrated with not losing weight especially when everyone around me seems to be able to so easily.

Hang in there!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Ugh me too! I hope you will come and post your updates here.. that way we go through this together
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Hey just wanted to check in and see if you've been able to get your results yet.

My antibiotic has been extended so bummer there but TOM should be finished soon so will be able to start the progresterone. Baby steps! My sister and I are doing low-carb together, eating the same and she's losing and I'm stuck. Sigh...I keep telling myself it will happen. Praying the progesterone will make a difference.

Hope you're hanging in there as well!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Sure did, yesterday!
I have another thread, here

Bio identical hormone replacement/ weight loss?

Thanks for checking on me. I start the progesterone cream next wednesday.. sorry you are stalled I hope things change for you soon~
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: todahlu
My daughter did Medifast years ago and Dr Anderson just by looking at her stated she was estrogen dominant. When she is losing weight she "spots" continually and weight loss is very slow. Apparently fat stores estrogen....wish I knew more...or had a soloution for either of you....be assured it is "real".
todahlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I am estrogen dominant also. Thats why I switched from LC to JUDDD. The spotting was way to much for me. Now I lose so very very slow on JUDDD, but its better than the spotting.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote