Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   General Health/Medical Issues (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/)
-   -   Constant ringing in ears (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/general-health-medical-issues/780047-constant-ringing-ears.html)

JayLynn 08-05-2012 06:11 PM

Constant ringing in ears

Tinnitus seems to be a condition that doctors just shake their head at. I went to my GP last week to have blood work done and told him I have this constant ringing in my ears that is driving me nuts. I had read it could have something to do with thyroid. He looked at my results and said my thyroid looks fine. Now I know that thyroid disorders can be a very tricky thing that are not caught by the basic blood test.

Anyway, he didn't seem to know how to help me at all, which I guess doesn't surprise me. Most times when I have some kind of health problem I research it on the web and try to come up with some kind of natural solution.

With tinnitus its not so easy.

Has anyone found any relief? I'm trying ACV but so far it hasn't helped.

cfine 08-06-2012 05:23 AM

I'm so sorry! My DD has had that, but it was from taking a medication and when she stopped it the ringing went away. What hasn't went away for her is a constant feeling of pressure in her ears. She has chronic lyme disease and we are not sure exactly what's causing it. We are taking her to an acupuncturist right now and that seems to be helping. Maybe try that?

eastbruce 08-06-2012 06:47 AM

I've had Tinnitus for many years and have never found a cure or any relief from it. If you find one, post it here!!

JayLynn 08-06-2012 10:19 AM

Its frustrating to me with all the advances we've had in medicine, doctors can't even tell you for sure what is causing it. If they could, we'd have a better idea of how to deal with it, of course.

There's a lot of "it could be....." out there. But nothing definitive.

I'm hoping that as I lose weight and get in better shape the ringing will go away.

jeaniem 08-06-2012 01:21 PM

I have the tinnitus in my left ear due to Meniere's disease. Eating low carb helps lessen the loud roar. When I eat too many carbs I get pulsatiing tinnutus. So annoying!

JayLynn 08-06-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 15853923)
I have the tinnitus in my left ear due to Meniere's disease. Eating low carb helps lessen the loud roar. When I eat too many carbs I get pulsatiing tinnutus. So annoying!

Annoying for sure.

I'm very curious what the relationship between eating carbs and ringing in the ears might be. Think I'll try zero carb for a few days and see if that has an effect.

alassea 08-06-2012 11:31 PM

I don't know if this will help so I'll just put it out there for you to research further.

OVERVIEW OF TINNITUS - The Cayce Health Database

Princess Di 08-07-2012 07:50 AM

They advertise lipoflavanoid on tv for ringing in the ears. I was going to try it, but it was $30.00 and I was broke at the time. I have a hearing test coming up anyway, so I decided to wait and see what the Audiologist said first.

JMCM1 08-07-2012 08:33 AM

Subbing to keep apprised - I have this.

JayLynn 08-07-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alassea (Post 15855145)
I don't know if this will help so I'll just put it out there for you to research further.

OVERVIEW OF TINNITUS - The Cayce Health Database

Thank you! Edgar Cayce had an amazing ability to tap into some kind of source that would help a lot of people. I have read his life story and have been really amazed by his "psychic" abilities.

I will read this more carefully when I have time. I never thought to see what his readings might say about tinnitus.

Thanks!

JayLynn 08-07-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Di (Post 15855663)
They advertise lipoflavanoid on tv for ringing in the ears. I was going to try it, but it was $30.00 and I was broke at the time. I have a hearing test coming up anyway, so I decided to wait and see what the Audiologist said first.

I've heard of lipoflavenoid, but hesitate to spend $30 on something that might or might not work. Let us know what the audiologist says, and if you try this supplement how it works!

What I wish is that I could find out what is causing the ringing. There seems to be so many theories, it could be just about anything!

bettycooker 08-07-2012 09:28 AM

I think the small amount of coconut oil that I put in my morning coffee has helped. Still have some ringing. Cut in half of what it used to be.

alassea 08-07-2012 02:56 PM

You're welcome JayLynn

piratejenny 08-07-2012 04:38 PM

I've had tinnitus for years and recently it's improved.
I began taking turmeric recently and I believe that may be what's helped.

I prepare it by simmering about 1/4c turmeric powder in 1/2c water for a few minutes.
I add a bit more water if the paste is too thick.
I take about a teaspoon a day and it's enough to last a few weeks.
(I'll post the video about how to prepare it if anyone's interested.)

It is a strong anti-inflammatory, so if you try it, it may be good for pain, arthritis, and other conditions even if it doesn't help with your tinnitus. :)

Please check for warnings & contraindications re: turmeric before trying it.
It's a potent blood-thinner, and I've also heard it can aggravate gallbladder conditions.

JayLynn 08-08-2012 10:11 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about turmeric.

I'm going to do more research and give it a try. I like using natural remedies.

Thanks piratejenny!

piratejenny 08-08-2012 12:00 PM

Here's the video, btw;
I don't add it to milk, just take a spoonful.
I also add a little black pepper when I cook the turmeric,
as I've heard that makes it more effective.
I've also heard that it helps to take it with some fat;
you'll get that if you take it in milk, as per the recipe.
So I take it with a meal or snack.

JMCM1 08-08-2012 12:42 PM

Thank you for that video.

JayLynn 08-08-2012 02:02 PM

Thanks for the video, piratejenny!

My tinnitus seems to have eased up a bit. I have been eating very low carb these last few days, and have had a tsp ACV in water before each meal, as well as 2 tsp coconut oil throughout the day, in coffee or tea.

I'll keep it up and see what happens. The dang noise is so annoying!

Doug_H 08-13-2012 01:08 PM

Just learn to live with it. I have had it for the past 30 years, somedays it's bad other days not quite so, but it is 24/7.

I could write a book on the subject here but won't.

Doug

JMCM1 08-13-2012 01:26 PM

Doug - that's what I was suspecting. Probably just have to learn to live with it.

E.W. 08-14-2012 04:59 AM

You may want to try doing a google about this but I think zinc helps a lot of people
with this and asprin makes it worse.

saltnpepper 08-14-2012 04:59 AM

I have it too........

Went for 2 different hearing test, and they both said not much you can do, or much that works.

My own reading on line, has said sugar makes it worse. Feels that way, but I'm not sure.

Subbing........

Thanks for the thread.

Anna

JayLynn 08-15-2012 02:25 PM

It seems there are many causes for the ringing and many different remedies....if there IS a remedy for your individual situation.

I went on another website that is for natural healing and there were all kinds of stories and "cures" for tinnitus.

Mine bothers me mostly at night when I am trying to fall asleep. Sometimes I turn on a fan nearby or even the radio to just static. Can't say it really helps.

I know a lot of people say "just learn to live with it" but I'm very persistent and stubborn and I'm not giving up yet.

piratejenny 08-15-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayLynn (Post 15875684)
I know a lot of people say "just learn to live with it" but I'm very persistent and stubborn and I'm not giving up yet.

Good for you!!! :high5:

Lately I've been scared that my tinnitus has come back, but what I'm hearing is CICADAS!!! :hyst:

JMCM1 08-15-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15875740)
Good for you!!! :high5:

Lately I've been scared that my tinnitus has come back, but what I'm hearing is CICADAS!!! :hyst:

:laugh:

Wishin 08-16-2012 06:07 AM

I'm glad I found this post. I have had this for years, at least 25 and sometimes it drives me crazy. Right now I hear it. Mostly when its quiet. I was also going to try the Lipoflavnoid but it was $25 at Walmart and I decided to wait. Money was tight. I still might try it but my son has been trying to get the family to use more coconut oil. Maybe I need to look more into that.

JayLynn 08-18-2012 12:11 PM

The ringing bothers me less. Its there, but I don't notice it as often and I'm having a better time falling asleep at night, which is when it was at its worst.

I'm taking 2 tsp ACV in water 3x per day and 1 tsp coconut oil in tea or cooking, like scrambled eggs, also 3x per day.

I'm completely off sugar and flour, virtually carb free except for veggies and a few berries.

I hope this continues and soon it will be gone!

JMCM1 08-18-2012 01:11 PM

I hope you keep posting. I used to take ACV - but was careless and it burned my esophagus. I have been off sugar & flour since June 4.

Let us know. :)

JayLynn 08-19-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCM1 (Post 15881787)
I hope you keep posting. I used to take ACV - but was careless and it burned my esophagus. I have been off sugar & flour since June 4.

Let us know. :)

I sure will! : )

Laschance 08-19-2012 08:30 PM

I was dong a search for Tinnitus problem and came up with your thread.. Its very interesting because I also find that mine gets worse when I am not on a low carb diet.. I sleep with the TV on and a fan.. I put my affected ear into the pillow and try to go to sleep.. I wish I could find a solution.. Perhaps it is something that I am eating the causes it.. I will keep this thread in my book marks so I can keep checking for a solution.at least hoping for one..