Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laschance View Post
I was dong a search for Tinnitus problem and came up with your thread.. Its very interesting because I also find that mine gets worse when I am not on a low carb diet.. I sleep with the TV on and a fan.. I put my affected ear into the pillow and try to go to sleep.. I wish I could find a solution.. Perhaps it is something that I am eating the causes it.. I will keep this thread in my book marks so I can keep checking for a solution.at least hoping for one..
Hi Laschance,
If you haven't had an ear injury or exposure to loud noise, it is possible that your diet has something to do with the ringing. But no one knows for sure. There are so many different reasons given by so many different sources.

I have done LC for years, off and on. I've had "some" ringing for I'm guessing between one and two years, but in the last few months it got worse. Some nights I had a helluva time getting to sleep, even with background noise. Its just something that is so very annoying and stressful.

I really try to stick with natural remedies when possible so that is why I am trying the ACV and coconut oil. Also keeping very low carb.

The ringing is not gone, but it has diminished to the point I can fall asleep easily and I don't notice it much during the day.

Hard for me to believe in this day and age there is not more helpful information about this frustrating problem, but so far that seems to be the case.

Sounds like yours is just one ear. Wish I could say the same! Good luck and just keep experimenting. Hopefully you will find some relief.

Last edited by JayLynn; 08-19-2012 at 09:25 PM..
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
15 yrs of it here. I figure nerve damage from yrs of undiagnosed Diabetes.
Nothing has helped but I can make it worse: caffeine and/or sugar!
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I have been taking zinc like this article talks about and it works for me. But please note
they recomend 50mg a day. And I sure wouldn't go higher than this as high doses of zinc
can also be a problem.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Dang here is the link.

Zinc Reduces Tinnitus | Ears | Bastyr Center for Natural Health
Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Thanks for that link.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
15 yrs of it here. I figure nerve damage from yrs of undiagnosed Diabetes.
Nothing has helped but I can make it worse: caffeine and/or sugar!
I have been off sugar for a long time, but caffeine.....nope.

I know I should get it a try. I'll have to psych myself up for that. Most days I only have it in the a.m. I make a LC mocha with strong espresso, carbsmart chocolate milk and a little walden farms chocolate free syrup. I used to be a starbuck's addict, so I had to find an alternative.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Its been about a month now since I've been making a real effort to change my diet and keep the ACV and coconut oil in my diet every day.

The ringing definitely is not gone but most of the time it is better. Like I said, it bothers me the most when I lay down to go to sleep. Some nights I have no problem falling asleep, others it bugs me and it takes longer.

So, so far its better but not gone away.

Starting Monday I am going to try eating NO CARBS for 3 days, just to jumpstart my weight loss again and see if that also helps the tinnitus.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Even with very low carb and coconut oil, mine is the same.
I think it's encouraging that your has been affected at all - that is hopeful.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Even with very low carb and coconut oil, mine is the same.
I think it's encouraging that your has been affected at all - that is hopeful.
I know. Its amazing to me that a condition that is so common can be so difficult to cure. I wish I knew why!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Doug_H
Stats: 265/203/ Under 200
WOE: Low Carb/Keepin' it simple
Start Date: Oct 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
I know. Its amazing to me that a condition that is so common can be so difficult to cure. I wish I knew why!
From what I understand you have created inner ear damage that cannot be repaired.

It has just become more common over the last 20-30 years. Caused by our overly noisy environment. Our ears are just not prepared for the DB levels that we are exposed to daily.
Doug_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_H View Post
From what I understand you have created inner ear damage that cannot be repaired.
I think it's possible in some cases that there may be other causes of tinnitus...inflammation, low-grade infections...both of which could be from high blood sugar or food sensitivities. Mine has gotten *so* much better recently!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Again - hopeful!

Thanks to anyone who posts here!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Doug_H
Stats: 265/203/ Under 200
WOE: Low Carb/Keepin' it simple
Start Date: Oct 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I think it's possible in some cases that there may be other causes of tinnitus...inflammation, low-grade infections...both of which could be from high blood sugar or food sensitivities. Mine has gotten *so* much better recently!
Good luck
Doug_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lighterbeing
Stats: 2much /...I rarely weigh.../160
WOE: Atkins most of the time
Start Date: June 2009
I noticed it for the past 2 years. I am getting more used to it so now hours may pass without thinking about it, thankfully. I suspect in my case it is from chronic Lyme disease, I have read that others also have it. It is frustrating to say the least. Still waiting for something to help it, and will not give up. I would like to try acupuncture at some time.
lighterbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Valleydachs
Stats: 193/160.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Starting again Oct 1, 2012
Hello! Just found this post. About two years ago, I was on an anti-anxiety med. Only for 6 months because it RUINED my hearing. Not only do my ears now ring all the time but they also felt plugged. My GP thinks it's just post-nasal drip....which I have and prescribed allergy meds (Claritan). I went to an ENT TWICE and all they said in their 5 minute exam (the first one gave me a whole one minute) was I needed a hearing aid. I suddenly lose about 30 % of my hearing AND have tinnitus and that's all they can come up with? I think that med caused nerve damage and there's articles that prove that this is one of the side effects for some people. I've also read that nerve damage is not fixable with a hearing aid so I guess it's put up and shut up for me. Real bummer because I used to have fantastic hearing. Anyway, just wanted to tell my story. I'm off that med, of course, and now take a natural supplement for anxiety that seems to help a little.

For the Tinnitus, has anyone tried any of the natural stuff that is promoted on the internet?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
For Tinnitus, Dr. Jan Strydom recommends the technique described below.

First, who is Dr. Jan Strydom?...
Dr. Jan Strydom holds a doctorate in education and an M.A. in philosophy. He is the developer of the Audiblox program (Audiblox is a structured, multisensory brain-training program that accelerates learning, improves reading, spelling, writing and math, and is effective for a variety of learning difficulties including dyslexia.) and he is also the co-author of two books.

The technique...
Put the palms of your hands over your ears, with the middle fingers pointing towards each other and are on the base of the skull just above the point where the skull ends. Now lift the index fingers and place them on top of the middle fingers and then snap the index fingers off the middle fingers so that they beat the skull like a drum. Repeat the drumming about 50 times. Depending on the severity of the tinnitus, you could repeat the technique several times a day.

OK, I know this sounds crazy, but it sure works for me and it doesn't cost a cent. I hope you'll give it a try.
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Valleydachs
Stats: 193/160.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Starting again Oct 1, 2012
Crazy as it sounds, I WILL try this.

Thanks Widget!
Valleydachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Widget! I'm giving this a try too.

Although the ringing has been less, I still have it at times. I will give any natural remedy a try.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BABYSTEPS
Stats: 240/181/180 male 5'8.5",wife 230/211/155
WOE: low carb/no wheat
Start Date: Jan 2012
I've heard that statin drugs can cause tinnitus.
BABYSTEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

I'm not on any statins, but I suspect my tinnitus has something to do with my border high blood sugars. I've noticed that after I eat, sometimes its worse.

The only time i really notice it anymore is when its quiet. I can turn on some white noise, but that's noise too!

Sure would be nice to fall asleep with no noise disturbance whatsoever.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

You may want to do a google about it and zinc. Zinc is helpful in a lot of cases it has almost cured mine.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #52
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I'd love to just be able to "live with it" but unfortunately other people can't live with me when it's at it's worst. Sometimes I can't even hear people's speaking correctly its so loud and sometimes I can physically feel the "noise" so much that it feels like a migraine, but it's not in my eyes or head but in my ears. Sometimes it so loud and deafening all I can do is stay in bed and cry, cause my head feels like a speaker is playing this noise at full blast!

My blood pressure is normal, always has been, I tried turmeric for a while but it didn't seem to make a difference or maybe I was going through a particularly loud couple of weeks so I didn't notice any effect. I don't listen to loud music or have a loud job, but I'm inclined to have music playing to somewhat distract me from the painfully annoying sound.

Once, the power went out in my apartment, but i wasn't sure if it were a power outage or just my computer cutting off because my tinnitus was so loud that day I thought several appliances were still running when they actually weren't.

of course stressful situations make it harder to deal with it. I think the levels are the same but when I'm more relaxed, I can deal with it better, but often it's so loud sounding that it creates stress which makes it harder to deal with which creates more stress , and unstable spiral.

I guess on the menu is more turmeric, zinc and ...what else, coconut oil?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

I believe asprin and ginkgo bilobo make it WORSE. And there is a funny thing about zinc it's absorbed a lot better when it is NOT taken with food.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #54
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Wow, that's interesting about the Ginko, because I'd heard it recommended because it increases blood flow... Now that I think about it though, for some, whose tinnitus is blood pressure related, that seems it WOULD make it worse.

Zinc, No food, Got it!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
You may want to do a google about it and zinc. Zinc is helpful in a lot of cases it has almost cured mine.
E.W. how much zinc do you take?

I've done research and am thinking that 50 mg per day is a good start? Or should I start lower and work up to 50.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BABYSTEPS
Stats: 240/181/180 male 5'8.5",wife 230/211/155
WOE: low carb/no wheat
Start Date: Jan 2012
This helped me

I eat an apple every day and my ringing is gone.Apples have bio-flavanoids and so do onions.
BABYSTEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I have it also. My ENT thinks it may be due to a little hearing loss I have suffered.
He said to try zinc with b6 and b12. I take it at night. Sometimes I think it is helping, sometimes I'm not so sure.
I think the "learning to live with it" advice is the best.
Also, sleeping with the fan on does help. that was a good tip.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

I've been on an alternate day fasting plan since after thanksgiving and my tinnitus has noticeably improved. Sometimes I only have it in my left ear. I can't say this is the reason for less ear ringing, but it sure could be. I continue to LC, avoiding sugar and gluten nearly every day. I also have upped my coconut oil, so maybe its a combination of changes I have made. I'll keep working at it until its gone! I can try, anyway.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
For Tinnitus, Dr. Jan Strydom recommends the technique described below.

First, who is Dr. Jan Strydom?...
Dr. Jan Strydom holds a doctorate in education and an M.A. in philosophy. He is the developer of the Audiblox program (Audiblox is a structured, multisensory brain-training program that accelerates learning, improves reading, spelling, writing and math, and is effective for a variety of learning difficulties including dyslexia.) and he is also the co-author of two books.

The technique...
Put the palms of your hands over your ears, with the middle fingers pointing towards each other and are on the base of the skull just above the point where the skull ends. Now lift the index fingers and place them on top of the middle fingers and then snap the index fingers off the middle fingers so that they beat the skull like a drum. Repeat the drumming about 50 times. Depending on the severity of the tinnitus, you could repeat the technique several times a day.

OK, I know this sounds crazy, but it sure works for me and it doesn't cost a cent. I hope you'll give it a try.
This is interesting and I have tried it. It's kind of startling to listen for the tinnutis and not hear it - it's got to be a confusion of the thumping then quiet. Mine comes back in a few minutes, but to interrupt it at all - and at will...

I read an entire Reader's Digest (I know - I know) while waiting in my doctor's office. There was some blurb about a device invented that made noises to re-train the brain to stop the tinnutis. Something like the brain was making a mistake and these sounds could correct it.

I'm going to keep thumping.
Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Just revisiting...my tinnitis has improved with the zinc supplementation.
I'm concerned though..I take a multi that has zinc and with the 50 mg supplement that could be bad news.....
Maybe I'll take a break from it for a while
avid is offline   Reply With Quote